[Idea] Let's Give Criminal Executions And Exiles More Meaning.

Cyndikate

If we went through with this, it's more so a punishment for the people instead of the characters played. Create a jail system that's patrolled rather than try to kick them out of the city immediately. Create RP within the city by having a jailhouse of sorts, bolster your roleplay and do more than just be irked by some people coming into a city.

Exiling people from a city is more so excluding people out from roleplay than just sorting the issue out, and punishes the player more than the character mentioned beforehand. I'm sure there's more than one way to solve an issue, especially since this is radically drastic.

Since killing doesn't work as a means of stopping villains and permakills are never going to be forced, here's a radical idea: give law enforcement teeth that doesn't involve permakilling but is still unpleasant for the villains.

Remove the 30-minute-without-RP timer on jailing. If you get jailed, that's it, you're stuck there, RP or no (maybe make the time 1 day or if you're generous 4 or 12 hours). That means no switching to alts, no soulstoning, no nothing. You are stuck there. Unfair you say? I know having actual repurcussions for criminals is a new concept for LotC villains, but traditionally crime equals punishment. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

People will think twice about committing crimes when they get to sit in a cell and do nothing except be at the mercy of their captors if they're caught and arrested. Of course, along with this comes an encouragement for guards to arrest instead of kill criminals, since arresting will keep them away from trouble for hours while killing them will result in seeing them again in 30 minutes. Hopefully this will also have the positive effect of reducing all the senseless murder that happens on a daily basis in LotC.

It doesn't force permakills on players who are caught, but it sure as hell gives them a reason to not get caught. Also obviously soulstoning should be disabled inside jails (I think we have gold pillars that do this now). /damage 20 aka suicide will earn a permadeath, like it is supposed to.

This is quite harsh, and I think ic things should be handled ic, instead of ooc, with ban reports and all.

Yes but... ICly they just killed him.

Since killing doesn't work as a means of stopping villains and permakills are never going to be forced, here's a radical idea: give law enforcement teeth that doesn't involve permakilling but is still unpleasant for the villains.

Remove the 30-minute-without-RP timer on jailing. If you get jailed, that's it, you're stuck there, RP or no (maybe make the time 1 day or if you're generous 4 or 12 hours). That means no switching to alts, no soulstoning, no nothing. You are stuck there. Unfair you say? I know having actual repurcussions for criminals is a new concept for LotC villains, but traditionally crime equals punishment. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

People will think twice about committing crimes when they get to sit in a cell and do nothing except be at the mercy of their captors if they're caught and arrested. Of course, along with this comes an encouragement for guards to arrest instead of kill criminals, since arresting will keep them away from trouble for hours while killing them will result in seeing them again in 30 minutes. Hopefully this will also have the positive effect of reducing all the senseless murder that happens on a daily basis in LotC.

It doesn't force permakills on players who are caught, but it sure as hell gives them a reason to not get caught. Also obviously soulstoning should be disabled inside jails (I think we have gold pillars that do this now). /damage 20 aka suicide will earn a permadeath, like it is supposed to.

http://www.lordofthecraft.net/topic/98003-feedback-prison/

Looks like I'm a hipster now.

And yes, I agree with this idea.

This would require plug-in support and I'm not even sure if it would be doable, but perhaps if you're caught committing a crime, imprisoned, tortured, beaten and/or executed, etc. you are then released into the wilderness or resurrected at the Cloud Temple, but for a certain length of time, perhaps it could be 24 hours, perhaps only a few hours, an assortment of the following takes place:

- Your health is reduced.

- Your strength is reduced.

- Your speed is reduced.

- You are poisoned.

- You are blinded.

- You are starved.

- You can't jump.

- You can't swim.

These ailments could be limited and selected by the communities. Durations could increase based on the frequency of offenses. The role-play reasoning for all of this would be that if you survived imprisonment and were released, you're so badly beaten and mistreated that you have to stagger around for a few days to recover. If you were executed, perhaps the Cloud Temple monks withhold certain healing luxuries from criminals, applying basic resurrection and then forcing you to rough it.

Rough idea, not necessarily doable, but a plug-in option would certainly deter players from bullshitting around, especially if they had to either limp around like Reek for a while or log off and wait it out. You would think twice before returning to attempt petty crimes and random murders, but you could still role-play until the effects wore off, much better then sitting in a jail cell.

Cappy's solution is beautiful, along with anyone who had a similar idea. I think that would actually be easier to enforce than the week long exile. Please try and implement this.

Just a note as well, I would suggest either...

1. Keeping the jail secluded

Or

2. Make a rule that prisoners cannot spam /shout

I think guard executions in major cities leading to a perma kill was a rule quite a bit ago why not bring that back instead? I do like the officials not returning for an elven week but I feel guard force perma in execution scenarios would work a tad better. I mean I don't mind it your ideas bur even if there was a ( Stay away for a day rule ) it's going to ruffle alot of jimmies.

I think a week makes it awkward. 'Oh hey husband, you're back from trying to assassinate the king, lets go visit Abresi for some food?'

'I-I-I can't.... >.> <.<'

I think it has to be permanent or not.

The problem is not that the villains are 'strong'. The problem is that the executions and exiles are 'weak'.

Give me rope, give me brands, give me rotten fruit and stones and blood and swords and screams and curses. Don't just make a quick speech of crimes and lop off his head. Make him bleed, make him never want to experience this again, in character or out of character.

OOC barriers put in place by rules are weak.

Fear is strong.

Brand body, throw stone, drown the damned.

This is quite harsh, and I think ic things should be handled ic, instead of ooc, with ban reports and all.

*kills edgy villain*

*edgy villain comes back to rustle up the cities jimmies. He gets executed.*

*edgy villain returns and rustles up ever more jimmies. He dies again, but monks save him everytime.*

How do you deal with something like that IC?

*kills edgy villain*

*edgy villain comes back to rustle up the cities jimmies. He gets executed.*

*edgy villain returns and rustles up ever more jimmies. He dies again, but monks save him everytime.*

How do you deal with something like that IC?

Read my post.

Perfect, best thing is that we have the tools to do it given gold pillars, we just need to implement it.

When I administered the Abresi Guard force, I instituted a Branding Policy instead of Execution.

tumblr_m15mfmZp9x1r8058ko1_500.gif

It's a good idea to give more weight to criminal punishment, but it's biggest flaw is destroying flow. One of the biggest points of a RP server is how well it flows, and LOTC usually does well at this. 30 min-no-return-death-points help to stop a paradox, while also allowing a good flow of RP between people.

This is just poppycock

Do you see how many people are killed/executed around? The cities that have survived the test of time and not become ghost towns will become ghost towns. This is the same problem I have with the 5 minute wait after death, it's makes things flow like syrup, slow and sticky. 

You know what, if someone comes back from a public execution report them to a ******* VAT. 

That RP is not worthy of a VA. It's not worthy of being whitelisted on the server. If you have to conjure a new rule to do that then all it will do is remind the staff how utterly fucked this game has become.