Money Dump/make Minas More Useful

Cjmate

I do not feel that minas are terribly useful. Money should be used for survival, which includes the purchase of food and shelter. In Minecraft in general, surviving is not a huge deal. People will just give you food and shelter. I do not think there is any fixing to this, so there needs to be a better use for the minas. The people that try and get minas have a lot, but most people just do not care. It seems that the only thing it is good for is buying land. I want to encourage people to get jobs and make minas so the money circulates. No one is going to try and fix this through roleplay. It has been tried, and it often fails. Yes, minas are used for things, but for the most part it does not play an important role. You can be a king and not have any money whatsoever.

I think that for minas to be truly useful, there needs to be outside moderation. I will make a number of suggestions, but some of them may be impossible to do because I do not know the extent to which our developers can create plugins.

1. Force land to fallow during certain time periods on the calendar. During this time, wheat will destroy itself. Make that which can be farmed a bit rare by causing crop failure. This will force people to save food or buy it. Perhaps hunger rates could be increased.

2. Make animal breeding significantly longer. Possibly add animal disease which randomly kills cows. Allow animals to be purchased from GMs for high prices.

3. Major item sink. Perhaps when we switch maps, we can find a reason to dump just about everything. Iron can be significantly regulated. I want to see people fighting in cloth armor, iron armor is meant to be expensive and no random peasant should have it.

4. Create a GM protagonist team that fights back the antagonist. The extent to which they are successful will depend upon donations made, either through money, armor, or food. This will function as a money sink. They would not be the main team doing stuff, this should fall to players. It is just something extra. Players could maybe 'purchase' a GM for help in battle against the Antagonist. Perhaps as protectors or extra magic support in battles. It could be like mercenary contracts, and each Gm could make a generic person with description and skills. They could be listed and purchased for use in a battle through the forums. The event team could handle the contracts, but they should be fairly expensive. Several thousand minas each.

5. In addition to number three, allow the purchase of fictional npc guards for settlements. These fictional npcs can be recorded down by gms, and if the settlement is attacked a GM can defend it to a certain extent. This will act as both a money sink and a useful tool for people that are offline. These fictional npcs could be villagers, but I am not sure how that would affect lagg.

I am sure there are more, but this is all I could come up with.

I don't know about 4, but the rest sounds good. I think there should be more named, interesting items to spend minas on. I see a lot of these named items selling for thousands of minas, and believe there should be more things like them. I believe once Nexus, and the skills plugin become implemented, there will be more things to purchase with minas, and more reason to spend them.

I can agree with making minas more useful. I can tell you, there has been only been about four things I've bought. One was drugs for my character, another was alcohol, one was a restaurant while waiting OOCly for a buddy, and the last one was alcohol again. Basicly, I just go to the wilds, make wheat fields, and harvest crap loads of food. Then I troll around with three stacks of bread until I die, then I just troll on back to the Wilds for some more free food.

I doubt killing animals will do much more than make people frustrated.

As for idea one, I'm thinking that's cool as long as it doesn't go too far. Otherwise we'll have no one online during winter 'months' due to food shortages that no one has the food for, or wants to waste the food for.

Increasing hunger may help, but I don't see major increases.

Major item sink + make items more rare later on for 4.0. Everyone and their mother has at least an iron sword from the infinite mines.

I doubt five would REALLY work.

I dislike the idea of four, simply because I don't trust ONE person to help against a bunch of antags. Doesn't sound realistic.

I originally came here to bash these ideas down, and say that I liked our current system, and then I thought to myself, "Deckolo, when was the last time you needed a job to get money?" Now, I miss the RP of having a job, or actually needing money for something. I currently have over 2,000 Minas, accumulated simply from voting a lot. That would be my suggestion: Nerf voting. 50 Minas a vote is ridiculous. Now, I know that the argument is that people will stop voting, but the vote reward can always be replaced by something more practical such as some iron ingots or something. Nerfing voting would help our economy out A LOT, and force more people to work for a living.

I remember the days before the mines and iron was actually worth something. You would see people selling iron for 50+ minas. Now it's around 25-. Making mines harder, or removing them and giving the GM's a large stock could prevent the iron problem. Also, the new auction houses are also helping circulate the money, as some items go for a high price.

Make mines harder. I really enjoyed valuing my iron armor very highly.

Or if you don't want to find a fix for the mining system, then possibly return losing a percentage of your minas on death? This would really improve highway banditry RP and most all villain RP in general imo.

I also came up with this rather distant idea after reading number 4. Possibly somewhere down the line on 4.0 have a god plugin? Where you can sacrifice things to certain gods and you'll get temporary buffs or something like that. Just an idea, not really going to push for it or anything.

Iron is pretty dirt cheap right now. It should not be. Any Joe can vote a couple of times and buy a full set quickly. I know my ideas are pretty weak, but I think that something needs to be done, because I would rather have a chestful of iron than minas anyday. I can trade the iron for stuff more than the minas. Minas are just kind of worthless for anything except land.

• When the price of iron is raised, people complain about armies fighting in cloth armor and it being unrealistic.
  • When the price of iron is lowered, people complain that iron is too common and peasants have it.
  • When there are fewer Minas, people complain about food being too expensive.
  • When there are more Minas, people complain about there not being an effective economy.
  • When horses are offered freely, people complain that peasants shouldn't have horses.
  • When horses are scarce, people complain that new players expect be able to buy a horse.

Personally I would rather have common iron and plentiful Minas than little iron and no Minas. At least when you have surplus supplies you can RP you have less than you really do.

I think the idea of major money sinks is a good idea, gives people a reason to ditch their excess minas. However, I still believe that many of the current issues the server suffers from can be blamed upon the need for an economy. Simply make some high end resources rare, but let people get food and iron on the cheap.