[Magic Lore] Warlock Magic

Swgrclan

Community Thoughts  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Is this magic idea balanced and tuned enough to fit the server's magical boundaries?

2. 2. Do you approve of this idea?

Quick LotC history lesson. Hoping it is more of a help than a hindrance

Warlock is the term placed upon one who is born with magic. Because their ability to cast does not come through regimented training and careful practice, Warlocks were often more powerful than they knew what to do with. As consequence they had a tendency of killing themselves from failed spells. Mages who believed in order and balance were required to either destroy such dangerous wielders of magic, or teach them the art of control. It is assumed that the last remaining Warlocks (of which I knew a couple in Aegis) have all but become extinct and that no mortal since has been born with an ability to perform magic (introduction of the Magic Application). However strange stirrings of the magical amidst mortals suggests that perhaps magic blood has not run completely dry.

Just to clarify that the name did already have a meaning within LotC and may still do now that applications are not required to have magic.

this actually sounds pretty cool and not too op but i think it should be restricted like mental magic and druidism are now maybe associate a daemon with it or something idk i just dont want to see fifty dark warlocks running around i might waste swords killing them

Your feedback is appreciated, Snow, and I'm going to confirm to you that Warlock magic, as a branch of Necromancy, would be a restricted magic as well. Understanding the two spells the rest draw from, it'd only make sense if Warlock magic is restricted.

This is essentially everything that was added to necromancy without Geo's authorisation and then removed when he found out about it. Necromancers are not the Undead. While good stuff, this pushes necromancy waaaay to far into the Everything Magic region. Were it to become a magic, it would have to be something mutually exclusive with necromancy rather than part of it.

I can see there's some confusion here - I'll handle that before moving onto further points.

First of all, every spell that was removed with the initiative of the recent Necromancy Debuff had been known, and approved, by Geo before being used. I wrote lore for Blight-Fire and was going to regulate it to become an RP tool instead of a purely offensive spell that it turned into. Taint-Bolts were similar to this, except most of it's removal was based on the fact that it was simply too offensive for Necromancy, which isn't intended to be a purely offensive magic. The curses were removed for a reason I am unaware of, but I know my own curse got some unfair opinions alongside the fact I was not even spoken to about how my ideas on a Necromancer's cursing ability worked before it was all scrapped. 

But the removal of those things is understandable, as said before - however, that doesn't mean I automatically didn't like the things I wrote up for the sake of Necromancy's progression, in-character and out-of-character. If it didn't work with Necromancy, then I would make my own thing. And I did, and it fits in a way where it doesn't directly effect Necromancy at all because it's a branch. If Necromancers want to conjure Blight-Fire, throw Taint-Bolts and curse people, they can try to find the creators of the magic and actually learn it. This is intended to be a restricted magic.

Don't consider Warlock magic apart of Necromancy. You have to learn it before you use it.

Edit: A Warlock's abilities are far from Undead's brand of magic. If this was intended to facsimile Undead magic, I would add lightning, and add that the user becomes a rotting husk - but I didn't. My intentions are to broaden the horizons of dark magic. Give a little spice, if you would.

This 'cursing' would not change anything on a frost witch. Our curse was given by a powerful ice spirit, and the fja curse would come out on top to effectively put a stop to any changes to our physical attributes or magical abilities.

The changes in a frost witch are called side-effects for a reason, just like all the other magics I listed. If a frost witch practiced a magic that meddled in a chaotic, often deathly and sinister progression dark energy, I would only assume they, too, would face the side-effects of doing so, whether or not their origin draws from a powerful ice elemental. 

You can't curse a frost witch with the changes listed, if you thought that. A frost witch would only change because of the magic's influence - cause and effect, if you would. This can be still changed though, if it's a problem.

The changes in a frost witch are called side-effects for a reason, just like all the other magics I listed. If a frost witch practiced a magic that meddled in a chaotic, often deathly and sinister progression dark energy, I would only assume they, too, would face the side-effects of doing so, whether or not their origin draws from a powerful ice elemental. 

You can't curse a frost witch with the changes listed, if you thought that. A frost witch would only change because of the magic's influence - cause and effect, if you would. This can be still changed though, if it's a problem.

Still, frost witches don't conjure ice. They manipulate it. It wouldn't change the look of the ice at all.

Still, frost witches don't conjure ice. They manipulate it. It wouldn't change the look of the ice at all.

Whether or not they conjure ice, the taint would stick to it. Being a Warlock means that it'd unintentionally slip into your other magic, depending on how skilled the Warlock is.

I found this to be a great read. The lore on how it was created is unique on how it's discovered. The backround and details covering the effects it would have on other types of magic is well thought out. Personally, I'd love to see these dark wielders of this magic around Anthos. As more then likely it would bring fun and dynamic role playing situations from it.

~+1~

I talked to swgr over Skype about it, and I'm happy with the changes.

Sooo, plus one! This looks like it could be a great addition, and provide some very fun rp.

+1

Update:

Edit 3 - Taint-bolts have been removed and clarification has been given to Blight-Fire's nature when wielded by a Warlock. Fireballs are impossible to form and constant streams of the unnatural element, as explained in the document, would most-likely either knock the Warlock unconscious from the self-inflicted pain or kill them from rapid deterioration.

I'm sorry but I'm not sure if we need this.  We have so many magics similar to it already.

I'm sorry but I'm not sure if we need this.  We have so many magics similar to it already.

I consider it mostly a sub-sub-type. A more broad set of RP tools, if you would, that doesn't focus on destruction and moreso initiating different character development. I don't necessarily see that much elsewhere.

As I said in another thread concerning blight-fire/taint bolts and et cetera, they go against the very basic mechanic/roots of Necromancy.

If you wish for a magic type such as this, the best thing would to make it a separate thing such as the new Shade Magic. Here being some of the points/inconsistencies, as I have to leave for work, I'll elaborate later if needed.

Necromancers alter life-force by creating pathways for it to "traverse," once these pathways are opened, they will also pull life-force of nearby objects into them, and subsequently to the end of the 'pathway.' The thing is, without the necromancer actively creating the pathway, it won't spread, especially not like a 'fire' (unless the necromancer walked around the 'flames' and opened and created each one individually and shaped them to look like a flame).

Taint cannot be used to control the mind of someone, it is essentially one of the 'pathways' mentioned above that was not able to be (fully) closed. As a consequence, it pulls away the life-force of those who stand near the 'taint.' Causing the various hallicagentic effects/weakness and et cetera. It is far from able to cause someone to become a cannibal, or something of the sorts (unless they were drained to a state such as zombies/skeletons are in).

Life-force is completely separate from mana, and it has not effect on any magic types that use it.

'Seeding' someone with the taint would far from cause the physical attributes listed (such as growing horns and et cetera), nor would the taint grow, as it only can progress as far as the Necromancer opened it.

As I said in another thread concerning blight-fire/taint bolts and et cetera, they go against the very basic mechanic/roots of Necromancy.

If you wish for a magic type such as this, the best thing would to make it a separate thing such as the new Shade Magic. Here being some of the points/inconsistencies, as I have to leave for work, I'll elaborate later if needed.

Taint cannot be used to control the mind of someone, it is essentially one of the 'pathways' mentioned above that was not able to be (fully) closed. As a consequence, it pulls away the life-force of those who stand near the 'taint.' Causing the various hallicagentic effects/weakness and et cetera. It is far from able to cause someone to become a cannibal, or something of the sorts (unless they were drained to a state such as zombies/skeletons are in).

Life-force is completely separate from mana, and it has not effect on any magic types that use it.

'Seeding' someone with the taint would far from cause the physical attributes listed (such as growing horns and et cetera), nor would the taint grow, as it only can progress as far as the Necromancer opened it.

I've stated several times in the document, and the thread, that Warlock magic's properties have shifted from traditional Necromancy because it's been tested and changed and tinkered with over a prolonged span of time, much like Necromancy was, to produce the results displayed in the document - or, rather, it's simply a branch. It is it's own magic, it's only relation is that it came from Necromancy and that it's somewhat of a relative of it. 

If you check at the bottom of the document's page, there will be a link titled with "INFtaint" that leads to another document explaining influential taint's properties. Like taint is a product of life-force, influential taint is a product of necrotic taint. It has shifted from the draining and death-bringing and has taken the form of progression and change as to establish a straight base for the ability to create curses, as it's name would imply. 

Blight-Fire, however, is simply concentrated taint. It may not necessarily follow the complete set of boundaries set for traditional necrotic taint, but it does not overstep them. One can even say it's weaker than regular fire, in fact, in it's capability to "burn" things, which is essentially just the fire itself eating up what life-force it can find - just like regular taint. It's not an element necessarily needed to complete Warlock magic, but it's something I would prefer to keep. It produces an image, and can be used to create elaborate enchantments and magical items that could bear interesting RP behind them.

It's not really an attachment to a Warlock's conjured void-magic, but an accidental spill. Seeing as a Warlock's magic is solely based on taint, it wouldn't be surprising if it leaked into whatever element they brought into existence. These magical side-effects could be a sign of a Warlock's unhealthy usage of their magic, which is a hint that if they continue to use it excessively it may lead to their doom - using Warlock magic too much begins to build taint up within someone, and is not very healthy. At all.

In the end, it's essentially it's own magic. It only holds a relation because of it's descent from Necromancy.

If you want, Allen, I may provide examples of how a Warlock may be played in different situations should any clarification on their abilities may be needed.