The Guide To Lying & Emotions

Draeris

*insert +1 with a compliment here*

No but seriously, great guide :)

Sir, this guide is very well done. You got basically everything spot-on, and for that you get a +1.

Thank you!

*insert +1 with a compliment here*

No but seriously, great guide :)

*Insert a respecting and happy reply*

Not but seriously, thanks!

Please, take my upvotes!

giphy.gif

Good guide, but I have a few things about lying I'd like to add. According to studies mentioned in The Definitive Book of Body Language by Barbara Pease and Alan Pease, the body reacts to lying in many different ways. Here are some of the gestures mentioned:

-For one, lying causes the brain to get nervous and glands in the nose open up, causing the person to lightly rub or tap the nose unconsciously during a lie. This is not an itch, but just a slight tap or rub to satisfy the tingling.

-Unlike the contrary belief, seasoned liars tend to look their victim in the eye, and smile less while lying. A person who is innocent might smiles more yet this is mistakenly read as lying. 

-When a person lies, it is instinct to cover the mouth. Just as a child covers his/her mouth with both hands when he/she lies, an adult will do the same accept it will be less obvious. The adult might lightly rub the lip or the mouth area, or perhaps scratch the upper lip. This is unconsciously done and cannot be controlled. 

-A liar will also tap his foot and/or finger (you already mentioned this).

-A liar will touch his/her face often. This is another gesture evolved from the 'speak no evil' gesture when a child covers his/her mouth when he/she tells a lie.

-Sweaty palms= a sign of lying.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here are some other body language gestures that might assosciate with lying or deceit

-A person who is reminded of a task they forgot to do will give themselves a light nudge on the forehead. If they are reminded of a task they knew they had to do but did not do because is was a 'pain in the neck' they slap the back of their neck.

-The scratching of the neck means that the person doubts what he is hearing.

-Crossed arms project hostility, crossed legs project a closed attitude (or that the person needs to go to the bathroom, you have to read these signs in clusters. You can't make generalizations until you see more than one gesture in a body language cluster). Both crossed arms and legs project that the person is not open to new ideas.

-Exposed palms show honesty. This can be faked.

-If a person is interested, he will often slightly tilt his head. If he is neutral, the head remains straight. If he is bored or unhappy, he will slightly drop his head forward.

-Boredom is signaled by the tapping of fingers. The faster the finger tapper taps his fingers, the more bored he is.

-Males who want to appear larger will put their hands on their hips. They will also tuck their thumbs in their belt to highlight the crotch area. Two males doing the crotch highlight and the elbows-raised gesture display rivalry. If a male does the crotch highlight gesture and points one of his feet to a female, this shows sexual interest. The crotch display alone can also mean confidence.

-In smokers, blowing smoke downwards is negative and blowing it upwards is positive.

-This: ( confidence. Notices the hand position. We'll call it the two-spider's gesture because I forgot the formal name.

-The 'catapult', also known as the hands-behind-head gesture, also symbolizes confidence. (http://westsidetoastmasters.com/resources/book_of_body_language/images/245-catapult.jpg)

This gesture accompanied by the figure four (the way this man sits, with his leg resting atop his knee) means that this person feels confident and has a counter-argument. This gesture is quite frankly hated by women in the workplace apparently. It makes you come across as arrogant. The figure-four and the two-spider gesture also projects a confident mood and a willingness to argue.

-Hands crossed while the fists are clenched projects a dangerously hostile attitude.

-Pointing the finger solidifies a point.

-Touching the forefinger to the thumb projects a non hostile mood.

-Thrusting the chin forward while lifting your head so you are 'looking at somebody down your nose' expresses superiority and confidence.

-A stiff upper lip is a gesture popularized by royals in England that also grants a higher authority.

-Walking with your hands behind your back and exposing your chest also projects a confident and superior feel. Yet another royal gesture.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I could go on for hours, but I won't. I see these gestures in people every day. They allow me to make great first impressions or make people feel subordinate to me. I also use these gestures to get away with lies  :troll: , and detect them. They are quite useful. Of course I did not learn these myself, I got them from that book I mentioned at the begging of the post, but still! I hope this helped people roleplay lying better, and great guide by the way, totally agree with you on everything!

snip~

I attempted to make the guide simple, but for advanced users please refer to above xD

I am actually half way through such book, and it is quite useful indeed! But thanks for the addition and your comment! :) +1 on your sub guide!

Sir, this guide is very well done. You got basically everything spot-on, and for that you get a +1.

Though I have read and am docilely knowledgeable in many of the ways of lying, telling emotions, and other things (I do a lot of reading, which includes psychology), you have given me a few new thoughts to open up some fun and rather (I hope) interesting roleplay. Thanks.~

I don't always lie, but when I do its my character's first time and is already pro at it.

Normally I'd say that guides like this just encourage a standard of roleplay that's too high to be achieved by most people, and that they encourage elitism... usually. But nah, this guide is dope. I am fan.

Normally I'd say that guides like this just encourage a standard of roleplay that's too high to be achieved by most people, and that they encourage elitism... usually. But nah, this guide is dope. I am fan.

Thank you Comrades!, and I feel special Ski King :)

Great guide! I'll definitely be saving this for later.

This is one of the most helpful guides I've read in quite some time. Thanks for putting in the time to make hopefully everybody's RP better and more realistic. I will most definitely be referencing this when I need to tell a few lies.

+1