A Guide To Building Smart

Cjmate

How to Build

The purpose of this guide is to shed light on all things build-wise and improve the server so that it does not look like a third world PvP faction server. The following guide may contain content that is offensive to some viewers, especially those viewers that cannot build. Discretion is advised.

1. When building, take into consideration real life physics.
  • Do not build stone on a wooden frame. Wood is not strong enough to support stone. Use wood for stone walls, or use stone for a stone walls.
  • Do not forget to apply supports if the build is large, or if you are mining.
  • Do not take blocks for granted. Just because a block can be placed, it does not mean it should be. Leaves, sand, gravel, and dirt are terrible building materials for a building.
  • When placing leaves, make sure they are placed in a way that it would be possible for that plant to grow up to.

2e31gg5.png

2le191y.png

2. Ask yourself, "Will this be used for anything?", and "Can I do/have this?"

• Do not build something if it serves no purpose.
  • Do not build excessive housing if there is no one to live in them.
  • If your character is a super duper dope mage that shoots fireballs, do you think he took time to learn how to build?
  • Do not build castles, forts, manors, or big **** without extreme need. If everyone and their mother has a castle, the value of all go down. Also, if you are just a peasant why would you have a castle in the first place? Become a King, then build a castle if you want.
  • Don't use your buildings as a means to an end. Just because you made a fort overnight does not mean you need to create a knight order.

This is not a huge problem anymore because Carrion wiped out all of the randomness. As such, I will not have pictures. Recent abusers would be Ambriel, everyone in the Wilds, and to some extent Flotsam. Past abusers would be Valois, Aldersburgh, and Ishikawa-land.

3. Keep to a certain style, try to be original, try to apply texture, and do not create block spam.

• Definition of block spam- Excessive use of one block.
  • Definition of texture (in this case)- Using multiple blocks of various types to create a vivid, rich environment. It can also be used to show shadows or moisture in an area.
  • If you are building with certain blocks, try not to just flip it and build something else. For example: If you have wooden buildings with wooden roofs, do not jump and build stone buildings. Keep things unique, but keep them uniform too.
  • Be creative! Stop with the straight line mess.

qprs03.png

2ywguog.png

125h0co.png

4. Let your buildings speak for themselves. Do not force or mash builds together.

• Not much to say here other than to not do it. Give your buildings synergy. Below are good and bad examples. My problem with the spawn is not so much the buildings themselves as it is their purpose. Only a handful of people actually live there, and it does not warrant to have so many empty buildings. Also, the stone is mixed up. It should stay similar. Cobblestone or sandstone, not both.

Bad from an RP perspective. The actual buildings themselves are good. (Tavern could be fixed. The cobblestone does not blend with the sandstone very well).

2h87me8.png

Good

2jb1e89.png

Bad

241s1ec.png

Good

27y5r9c.png

Helpful Tips

241tggk.png

1. Experiment with slab and staircase blocks. These can really give you an edge and keep your buildings from looking boring as hell.
  2. Don't build it if you do not intend to use it. LotC is terrible for players who build things and just let them rot. Don't be that guy.
  3. Examine other buildings, but do not copy them block for block.
  4. Do not create buildings that are outside of your culture without rp reasoning.
  5. Don't be afraid to terraform.
  6. For an intricate guide, check out Cirdanoth's post on messy medieval building. It is a ***** name, but basically it means to build in a way that is viable and realistic.

Edit: Build in whatever style you want, but build it right. I am not promoting messy medieval. These builds I showed are bad; they are an eyesore no matter what kind of style you use.

Anything worth doing is worth doing well!

good stuff good stuff. One thing i always hated was the 'straight' lines most builds tend to have, they just make everything look bland. 

Seeing that last roof, it actually helped me, where I thought I was already an adept builder, you helped me :3
Thankies !

EDIT:  Don't forget the stonen balconies !!

I would feel very... very offended if something that I had made would have been in your "bad examples", but I'm not because I bet I build better than you anyway.

Did you really have to pick bad examples from builds that someone else made? perhaps make your own examples. 

Anyway, great so see a guide for building, and seems like this already helped some. However there is something I'd like to note. (These are just my opinions tho) Oh and also, the look of a building may represent wealth etc. 

• Do not take blocks for granted. Just because a block can be placed, it does not mean it should be. Leaves, sand, gravel, and dirt are terrible building materials for a building.

But... hobbit homes? and Grass/dirt roofed huts? if you use the materials right, they can be great for building.

1. For an intricate guide, check out Cirdanoth's post on messy medieval building. It is a ***** name, but basically it means to build in a way that is viable and realistic.

Messy may sometimes look ugly, and you should not abuse it by doing it everywhere :P

I would feel very... very offended if something that I had made would have been in your "bad examples", but I'm not because I bet I build better than you anyway.

Did you really have to pick bad examples from builds that someone else made? perhaps make your own examples. 

Skill in building is not defined by words, prove your a better builder Mr. Pat. As for Cj's own example, swing by Kralta. CJ is one of the better messy medieval builders on the server.

There's no way to abuse 'mess' into making a building look good. Either you have eye for detail and use the right amount, in the right places (which takes a bunch more skill, experience and knowledge than a clean build) or you use too much mess and it either looks comical, fantastical or horrible.

Clean builds are.. Simplified. You lack knowledge or practice and thus don't end up going all out on your build. Or you use a texturepack to pick up your slack. I find both practices to not be in line with a builder's code. Similarly, it's easy to add oversized detail onto an oversized structure. Practice scale, practice detail, practice building in general. Consider when a build requires ornate detailing, or when it needs a much more 'simple' finish. Regardless.. The medieval world was a messy place and Messy Medieval is aptly named, as it concentrates heavily on the mess of nature and artificial things that were present at the time. :P

There's no way to abuse 'mess' into making a building look good. Either you have eye for detail and use the right amount, in the right places (which takes a bunch more skill, experience and knowledge than a clean build) or you use too much mess and it either looks comical, fantastical or horrible.

Clean builds are.. Simplified. You lack knowledge or practice and thus don't end up going all out on your build. Or you use a texturepack to pick up your slack. I find both practices to not be in line with a builder's code. Similarly, it's easy to add oversized detail onto an oversized structure. Practice scale, practice detail, practice building in general. Consider when a build requires ornate detailing, or when it needs a much more 'simple' finish. Regardless.. The medieval world was a messy place and Messy Medieval is aptly named, as it concentrates heavily on the mess of nature and artificial things that were present at the time. :P

I never said i don't use messy medieval style :P

Also

Skill in building is not defined by words, prove your a better builder Mr. Pat. As for Cj's own example, swing by Kralta. CJ is one of the better messy medieval builders on the server.

About how good he is or I am was not really serious ^_^

Anyway, great so see a guide for building, and seems like this already helped some. However there is something I'd like to note. (These are just my opinions tho) Oh and also, the look of a building may represent wealth etc. 

But... hobbit homes? and Grass/dirt roofed huts? if you use the materials right, they can be great for building.

Messy may sometimes look ugly, and you should not abuse it by doing it everywhere :P

I said building for a reason. The actual hobbit building is not the grass, it is what is inside. The dirt on top is called terraforming. Terraforming is perfectly fine. People should not be offended by my mentioning their builds. If you do not give criticism, people will not fix what they are doing wrong, and some of the things on this server are very wrong. It is embarrassing to have such strange, no effort builds so close to the spawn. It sets a bad example for new players.

I am not afraid to bash people who build like this. This is my favorite server, and I want it represented with the best builds, regardless of whether they are messy medieval or not. These are just plain bad.

Edit: Using other materials for buildings is fine. It is in this way used that I find it bad. Also the picture up above with all the leaves.

e9g2sy.png

/\ Not always, sometimes Hobbit holes are dug into the hill. I find ones that are made into the hill have a much more modular layout, where as when they are houses covered in dirt it's much more open floorplan.

(These are of course not absolutes, just what I have found while builsing and observing.)

Also for some great leaf-architecture go take a look at some oarts of Leanniel. The example that you gave is a good example of what not to do with leaves I agree.

Finnaly, dirt can be a good texture. I can't get the link but search for Bdoubleo100 dirt house. Interesting tutorial and the product is actualy okay...

I said building for a reason. The actual hobbit building is not the grass, it is what is inside. The dirt on top is called terraforming. Terraforming is perfectly fine. People should not be offended by my mentioning their builds. If you do not give criticism, people will not fix what they are doing wrong, and some of the things on this server are very wrong. It is embarrassing to have such strange, no effort builds so close to the spawn. It sets a bad example for new players.

I am not afraid to bash people who build like this. This is my favorite server, and I want it represented with the best builds, regardless of whether they are messy medieval or not. These are just plain bad.

e9g2sy.png

Using gravel sand or dirt for a wall is terrible, sure it is. But I was just wondering when you mentioned dirt, using dirt for roofs are not terraforming(well, I have not seen anyone use this in lotc anyway(I'm not talking about hobbit homes now))

EaWjSpK.jpg

Sorry was trying to make a point but i wrote it in a bad way, I just wanted to say , the way you used the examples seem a little harsh to me.

Why is Ambriel bad? 

Because they dare to build their own city and wasn't created by either a nation or some super well-known member of the community...

I personally find the use of mixed woods, especially on roofs, unpleasing. I prefer a more linear roof color, but a more interesting shape. As to the walls, stone should not be varied TOO much. People assume messy medieval means random stones everywhere. No. Choose a base material such as bricks. Place them down. Then, destroy one or two here and there, then replace. No one makes things out of a million materials, they use one, and then replace it with others as it breaks down. That's my view anyway.