A "how To" For All Those Anti Or Bad Pvpers

JVQ

I can agree with that, but it is a bit blunderous to completely dismiss a middle ground between mechanics and roleplay. As it is now, it has to be seen that the people who prefer RP fighting are completely ignored or scoffed at, which is a bit annoying. Of course the fact it's minecraft has to be considered, but the fact is, Minecraft is a platform: sure, you build on it, destroying it is a bad idea, but you're /meant/ to add on to it, not just use the barebones.

You build on it by creating a plugin that diversifies and makes unique PvP situations such as what I think Nexus-Core was or is going to be. Not by implementing 30 min to an hour emote sessions where folks can't even understand the human body logically. You committed a logical fallacy by dismissing what still stands as a solid point by complaining that I overuse it. I wouldn't have to overuse it if people can recognise the video game we play. MUDs operate solely as text-based, text-based. There is no pressing WASD, there is no right-clicking buttons, etc. etc.

((I am not a game geek, MUDs may be the wrong type of game that I am referencing lol))

In his defense it's really obnoxious and ******-y when people try to turn minecraft into some strange Final Fantasy text based game

In Borg's defense it's really obnoxious and idunnowhatwordthatwas-y when people try to turn our roleplaying server into some strange PvP centred-with-RP-on-the-side based game.

You build on it by creating a plugin that diversifies and makes unique PvP situations such as what I think Nexus-Core was or is going to be. Not by implementing 30 min to an hour emote sessions where folks can't even understand the human body logically. You committed a logical fallacy by dismissing what still stands as a solid point by complaining that I overuse it. I wouldn't have to overuse it if people can recognise the video game we play. MUDs operate solely as text-based, text-based. There is no pressing WASD, there is no right-clicking buttons, etc. etc.

((I am not a game geek, MUDs may be the wrong type of game that I am referencing lol))

You mean a MUSH. A MUD has a lot of mechanics, and is mostly just a GUI-Based form of minecraft. It's like an RPG, usually mostly single-player. A MUSH is a multiplayer text-based roleplay.

There's no established system of roll fighting. Plenty of potential powergaming is possible. Besides roll fighting would still take forever and some of us don't have all day to text each other to death, DND style or no.

Please excuse the wall of text, had to address several comments

Does that mean you cannot MAKE a system? Okay 4 failed emotes total, 4 hits = loss of battle. Your argument isn't valid because a system can be made to adjust it, arguing that there is no system currently, so saying powergaming and everything will happen is inherently a flawed argument. role rp can take a little longer than pvp yeah, however it is far faster than full on rp, far less prone to powergaming and an actual compromise.

As for the plugin? I've addressed with issue, and we can deal with the current one for now. That said the fact remains that one can be made to adjust, JUST like how we did it with PvP. The problem lies in how what we are doing is no middle ground, it is a decision which favors one side of the server and the other.

While we rp leading up to PvP, all that goes out of the window. Roleplay combat can yield far better stories than ones imagination, it provides an actual lay out with which a character can recant the experience (Of which while possible with PvP, it is far more prone to variation). Rp goes out the window after PvP starts, and while people vouch that the rp leading up to the PvP is working? The fact of the matter is I have seen minimal instances of respectable roleplay leading up to it (The argument that people will do so is idealistic, and the reality is more often than not it involves a few basic emotes leading into a demand for pvp default, we need a better set of regulations if you ever expect this to work, since we don't actually define what sufficient roleplay is). However it all bears back down to the fact that this isn't at all a compromise to the people who don't want to pvp (Of which is not avoidable, regardless of the arguments that it is. Let's keep it real here). 

As I've stated in my guide, both bear benefit, but need to have their place. PvPers have always gotten guaranteed pvp in large battles. Roleplayers no longer are truly favored, as their roleplay is not guaranteed anymore beyond a few emotes leading up to forced PvP. You can make amends and make both sides okay with a solution. It is a compromise, not a "Let's make everyone happy and bubbly over this new change", compromises mean both sides get something. PvPers get faster settings and minimal risk of powergaming (And we can easily define how the rolling system would work given a bit of effort). Roleplayers get to roleplay, and they get to be guaranteed that their roleplay isn't going to be halted abruptly by enforced PvP. PvP is not roleplay, PvP is a substitute for what can be made into a great experience for both parties in a timely manner. Roleplay is far more prone to creating memorable experiences than PvP, and that's a fact.

On the same note, tell me how rolling can lead to powergaming without use of arguments pertaining to plugin bias, that can be fixed, and without use of the "No system" argument.

Minecraft is the medium, not the end all solution. The fact is that we are a roleplaying server, if you want minecraft as it's intended, play vanilla. The point is that we are a text based roleplaying server which makes use of minecraft to provide a visible counterpart. 

TL;DR Roll default isn't serving to replace pvp or rp. If you want to do one or the other, then go ahead. However it would serve to make it so that if both sides can't agree, that each side gets a benefit instead of one side getting all the benefit at the cost of the other. Consider them three different entities, if you can't agree, then roll because it's the fair alternative.

Here is a compromise.

Open AppData -> Roaming -> .Minecraft

Realize you are playing Minecraft?

I have a mac, so your snide comment is lost on me.

You mean a MUSH. A MUD has a lot of mechanics, and is mostly just a GUI-Based form of minecraft. It's like an RPG, usually mostly single-player. A MUSH is a multiplayer text-based roleplay.

From Wikipedia(with pronunciations and stuff taken out): A MUD (originally Multi-User Dungeon, with later variants Multi-User Dimension and Multi-User Domain) is a multiplayer real-time virtual world, usually text-based.

2u4so4n.jpg

A lot of the hate that is coming onto this argument is not PvP itself, but the cheeky remark in the original post which says, "Pvp is default...suck it up...crying...run home." That is what turned a potentially good guide into an old-fashion, Carolina, hit 'em with a cane debate. 

The problem with the PvP community now (No, not all of them), is that you're throwing it in the roleplayer's face when you say stuff like that. "Boohoo, PvP default, stfu." You do not make the problem better, and you are instigating it. PvP players whined just as much whenever they were tired of edgy-elves with daggers and dual wield katanas. This is really about the side that is losing out on they want to do, not items

You like PvP because you like PvP. You like roleplay because you like roleplay. They are not the same, but that does not mean that they cannot exist together. 

What makes me, as a roleplayer, upset is:

• Declaring PvP without talking about it.
  • Refusing to compromise and holding on to PvP default (A lot of reports stem from this).
  • Unequal balance system (There is nothing keeping a Halfling from beating an Orc if he is good at PvP).
  • Just being rude about it and saying that all roleplayers complain.

Some people genuinely just want to have a roleplay fight. It is not about items; it is about the roleplay. Currently no one in this server, at least none that I have seen since PvP default, actually roleplay fights anymore (I could be wrong! Just have not seen it).

Guren sums it up really nicely, even if no one agrees with him. There should be compromise. Make fun, not rp or pvp.

Edit: People constantly stress the importance of bettering your PvP so that you can win, but you are assuming that the goal of this server is to win. The goal should be to have fun, not win.

Not so long ago I saw someone getting pushed against a stall.
I thought I will help him a hand and be a friendly guy today, since the attacker ( The one that pushed ) was going to slid the one being pushed' throat.

Upon which I forced them easily out of eachother and saved the victim.
Upon which he suddenly said oocly " Get ready for PvP "

Even though I had saved him rply from a slid throat.
I slowly moved by and told the attacker just to leave since I had thrown him against a tree.

It ended up involving a GM and several friends.
And a waste of my time, for most.

Because of this PvP Default.

I am sorry but I am simply saddend and would love to know who ever had the idea to create a PvP Default rule on an rp rule.

Since I would love to hear your way of thinking behind..

Thank you.

Not so long ago I saw someone getting pushed against a stall.

I thought I will help him a hand and be a friendly guy today, since the attacker ( The one that pushed ) was going to slid the one being pushed' throat.

Upon which I forced them easily out of eachother and saved the victim.

Upon which he suddenly said oocly " Get ready for PvP "

Even though I had saved him rply from a slid throat.

I slowly moved by and told the attacker just to leave since I had thrown him against a tree.

It ended up involving a GM and several friends.

And a waste of my time, for most.

Because of this PvP Default.

I am sorry but I am simply saddend and would love to know who ever had the idea to create a PvP Default rule on an rp rule.

Since I would love to hear your way of thinking behind..

Thank you.

PVP was default for all of Aegis, half of Asulon and I'm not sure how much of Anthos. It's not like it's a new rule, it was there most of the time you've been on the server Aster. I don't see how before it wasn't a big deal but now everyone is making a fuss about a rule they never cared about in Aegis or Asulon.

The issue, for me at least, is not that the default is PVP on an RP server.

My issue is the combat is disgusting.

It feels like I'm playing CookieClicker 2: Rampaging Murder-Spree Boogaloo.

The reason I'm annoyed by this whole debate is right here in the attitude in this thread, starting with the second paragraph of the /first/ paragraph. 

I mean come on dude. Maybe people don't like PVP just because they don't like it. How is that not a reasonable explanation? Why did you have to start off "LuL u gaiz suk get skillz bruh!"?

The reason I'm annoyed by this whole debate is right here in the attitude in this thread, starting with the second paragraph of the /first/ paragraph. 

I mean come on dude. Maybe people don't like PVP just because they don't like it. How is that not a reasonable explanation? Why did you have to start off "LuL u gaiz suk get skillz bruh!"?

This. Not a great tone to set on a guide.

One random tip I've learned since folks absolutely cannot be bothered to roleplay on a roleplay server (jk jk), is asking politely to put any significant items somewhere safe.  Not everything mind you, since its clear that any interaction Ive had involving someone having to kill a hobbit specifically involved wanting to just take my shtuffs.

After explaining said item A wouldn't actually be carried in a usual manner (Like a ton of iron blocks) folks have always understood and let me place it in a locked chest nearby that I can get later on. It's unorthodox, but its helped quite a bit.

The guide is .... fine... for someone who doesn't quite have the PVP "skills", but I agree with others. I dislike the tone of the guide period. It doesn't change my mind about how I feel about PVP personally (I will not go into it) but the techniques were somewhat helpful.

Next time though when you make a guide, don't be so snide about it :/