Lets Have The Staff Help Out The Elves

BurntToast74

I think in general that's an awful mentality to have. Elitist. Not RP elitism, which is cool and hip, but OOC elitism where suddenly you are somehow the deciderer on what is good RP and what is nto.

In an RP sense, it's fine. But 'Unwanted RP' is just dumb.

By 'unwanted RP' I'm pretty sure most people simply mean RP that our characters would naturally want to avoid, like excessive villainy. We did leave the Lin'ame gates up during the early building process, but were frequently attacked by orcs, mages, golems, and bandits, so now they stay closed to keep them out. Constantly having to drop what we're doing to remove threats halts any progress we were making in either building the town or RPing with its prospective residents, and as many people have pointed out many, many times - if you don't like villainy or raids, learn to defend yourself. Walls work.

So long as there is someone manning the gate new wood elves looking for a home are let in. People who look like they'll cause trouble, or have proven they'll cause trouble by their actions, won't be. Also, please keep in mind that right now wood elven RP is 'fragile' in a way. We're still a very new settlement. Though things have been going fantastically so far, I think it's understandable we'd want to shelter this RP style as it continues to develop.

By 'unwanted RP' I'm pretty sure most people simply mean RP that our characters would naturally want to avoid, like excessive villainy. We did leave the Lin'ame gates up during the early building process, but were frequently attacked by orcs, mages, golems, and bandits, so now they stay closed to keep them out.

Constantly having to drop what we're doing to remove threats halts any progress we were making in either building the town or RPing with its prospective residents, and as many people have pointed out many, many times - if you don't like villainy or raids, learn to defend yourself. Walls work pretty effectively. So long as there is someone manning the gate new wood elves looking for a home are let in. People who look like they'll cause trouble, or have proven they'll cause trouble by their actions, won't be.

I think taking out all that rp is generally not very good.

'Oh shoot, we are being interrupted with villain RP, we should do something.'

You take the easy way out and enclose the whole city and heavily moderate who comes in and goes. This cuts off so much rp.

You know what else you can do? Lead a delegation to the orcs. Be diplomatic. Maybe pay them to not raid the city.

Oh some edgy assassin guy keeps coming in?

So ******* what. RP is RP is RP is RP. If you don't want to RP with the guy, tell him ((I don't want to rp with you atm.))

A huge wall and not allowing many people in is just a really... Violent solution. It eliminates a lot of RP. I agree, it eliminates bad RP. But it sure as hell eliminates good RP.

I think in general that's an awful mentality to have. Elitist. Not RP elitism, which is cool and hip, but OOC elitism where suddenly you are somehow the deciderer on what is good RP and what is nto.

They didn't say bad. They said unwanted within the city walls.

You take the easy way out and enclose the whole city and heavily moderate who comes in and goes. This cuts off so much rp.

Kind of ironic when half the server's been yelling "just use a damn wall" at the elves since forever. When they finally do...

Unwanted RP means ongoings they don't want IC and want to minimise OOC. They're not going to refuse to let you in because you RP badly, but if you come as Saiko The Bloodsucker they're not going to let you into the city. That's not OOC elitism, that's IC sanity.

If you want to be an elf living in Liname, you have to follow their laws and culture. Otherwise they'll evict you IC. That's not "you can't join", it's "to join you have to do this." Sounds completely reasonable to me.

"Good" RP is subjective - regardless, the point of the walls and the gates is to maintain a level of serenity within the town. Pose a threat to that? Do you look or sound like you'll pose a threat to it? You're not getting in.

You're free to RP however you like, and wherever you like, just like we are free to keep you out in turn. We're not going to change ICly out of the convenience of others OOCly.

-snip-

In that case it's obvious we're looking at this from completely different perspectives. It makes utterly no sense for the characters who live there not to do what they can to keep murderers and thieves away from themselves, and walls are the most obvious and logical solution. Rampant crime was the biggest reason Malinor no longer exists. If the new elven nation is going to thrive, it's going to have to work very differently. I know it can suck to be blocked out of certain groups or areas, but it's the price you pay when you play a villain. (I can talk, I play a cannibal...) 

You know what else you can do? Lead a delegation to the orcs. Be diplomatic. Maybe pay them to not raid the city.

Oh some edgy assassin guy keeps coming in?

So ******* what. RP is RP is RP is RP. If you don't want to RP with the guy, tell him ((I don't want to rp with you atm.))

Neither of these solutions would work. Most of the orcs that attacked us claimed to be independent of the orc nation, so diplomacy won't keep them from waltzing in through an open gate and attacking people. And blocking someone from RP through OOC means (telling them to go away in l-ooc) is far worse than blocking them out with an RP wall, not to mention against the rules.

Kind of ironic when half the server's been yelling "just use a damn wall" at the elves since forever. When they finally do...

Yep. Can't win 'em all, I guess.

It really concerns me whether or not newbies would be welcome in the cities, unless they know what "unwanted" RP means.

It really concerns me whether or not newbies would be welcome in the cities, unless they know what "unwanted" RP means.

If they say they are a wood elf looking for a home, they're let in. It's pretty simple, really. The same goes for the high elf and dark elf cities.

Agh, those dreadful and elitist High Elves, who don't let anyone into their city!

Except for Wood Elves who live in Lin'ame. Or Dark Elves who live in Ker'lomi. Or the last few remaining Kha. Or Human officials and the like from Oren.

It just makes my blood boil that they won't let in any Dwarves just because they are at war, or any Orcs just because they are bloodthirsty brutes! Let's also not forget that they don't let in any Snow Elves, just because they made themselves the political enemies of Haelun'or and are allied with the dwarves!

I mean, come on! Obviously if you want roleplay on this server, you have to let in every madman, murderer and monster to stimulate healthy and productive interaction! This is a terrible injustice and I am calling upon the staff to intervene by turning all of their walls into TNT and setting it off. If I can't interact with the elves, then no one can!

Agh, those dreadful and elitist High Elves, who don't let anyone into their city!

Except for Wood Elves who live in Lin'ame. Or Dark Elves who live in Ker'lomi. Or the last few remaining Kha. Or Human officials and the like from Oren.

It just makes my blood boil that they won't let in any Dwarves just because they are at war, or any Orcs just because they are bloodthirsty brutes! Let's also not forget that they don't let in any Snow Elves, just because they made themselves the political enemies of Haelun'or and are allied with the dwarves!

I mean, come on! Obviously if you want roleplay on this server, you have to let in every madman, murderer and monster to stimulate healthy and productive interaction! This is a terrible injustice and I am calling upon the staff to intervene by turning all of their walls into TNT and setting it off. If I can't interact with the elves, then no one can!

+111111

wnod.gif

I'm inclined to believe that the OP is a troll, ladies and gentlemen. We're certainly in better shape than we were when I was in charge.

I'm going to say this thread is done. If you really wanna reopen it, pm a mod with the reason. Don't care if you pm someone else or myself, but I think everything has been said.