[Discussion] In Game Genocide.

Watyll

Should genocide be allowed IC?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Should genocide be allowed IC?

• Yes (Why)
    • No (Why)

This is something I've been thinking about for a while, and I'm not certain if this is the appropriate forum for it. 

Basically, if one group hates a particular race, should it be allowed for said group to pursue a path of genocide for this race? Would genocide or exterminatus be an acceptable casus beli/warclaim result? I assume it would be by way of war claim, slowly conquering each settlement of the target race until all of them are cornered into one area. Then that final war claim would destroy the city and presumably end the race, it would be a PK for all of that race.

Now for the question- what if said race were to have people living outside the city or nation? Well- that's inevitable. I suppose the remaining members of the race would be hunted down, but likely wouldn't agree to the PK that would have been forced on those in the city. At this point, the race would be locked. One wouldn't be allowed to apply for it anymore. Only in game reproduction would be allowed to produce more. This is just my take on it though. 

I don't personally have an opinion on this one way or another, merely curious as to what you all think in concerns to IC genocide. I think if the Orcs were wiped out, there'd be a lot of scary stories told to the children of other races. If elves were wiped out, there'd be a lot of fairy tales of them. Elven books would become highly prized. For dwarves, dwarven weaponry and ruined cities would be a marvel for future generations. If it were humans, just the cities would survive, I think.

So the final question is, should genocide be allowed In Character as a war claim result or reason. 

I think that if it were just a fantasy story being told to someone, and not a dynamic interactive world, then sure, genocide is a very compelling story route to go in. However, It would be very unfair to anyone within the race of players who the genocide is taking place against, and would make the game a lot less fun for them, imo. 

It's a compelling story idea on paper, but in practice I think it would degrade things in the game.

Ok so, Honestly one race could ruin the fun for everyone...mainly the humans if they really wanted to since they have the advantage in major numbers...It would all in all be very bad...please no

Then that final war claim would destroy the city and presumably end the race, it would be a PK for all of that race.

Unless everyone agreed to it, I don't believe you can force someone else to PK. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

I believe the White Roses did this, minus the whole PK part. That was pretty miserable for everyone aside from the WR themselves... now add forced PK to that.

I hope you can see where I'm going with this... -1

Only if it's not me getting genocided.

I think that if it were just a fantasy story being told to someone, and not a dynamic interactive world, then sure, genocide is a very compelling story route to go in. However, It would be very unfair to anyone within the race of players who the genocide is taking place against, and would make the game a lot less fun for them, imo. 

It's a compelling story idea on paper, but in practice I think it would degrade things in the game.

This man is correct. It would make a great story (I'm actually writing one about High Elves doing that) But in Roleplay I'm not sure. It might be if the Genociding side makes sure to provide fun and not focus on winning, but I think it would be a better idea to not test it. Especially no permakilling, nobody should ever be forced to permakill their character unless there are really good reasons OOC.

Only if it's not me getting genocided.

This'll be the reaction of pretty much everyone. A group could hate another, but unless everyone agreed, there could be no PK of a race/culture/city. And I don't believe genocide would ever really be possible, considering how we have new players joining all the time.

I think that if it were just a fantasy story being told to someone, and not a dynamic interactive world, then sure, genocide is a very compelling story route to go in. However, It would be very unfair to anyone within the race of players who the genocide is taking plce against, and would make the game a lot less fun for them, imo. 

As he said- This is a tool used in storytelling, but for a dynamic world where new people are joining every day I don't feel this would fit.

This would also make it frustrating for app team members I bet, if a default race became 'locked'. They still get people trying to apply as Mori or their own made up race, and then having to deal with one of the main Five races and their subtypes being 'locked' would be just so annoying.

There is also the issue of forcing a PK on someone not being allowed ((Except for certain races like Golems that are RP killed and have their core destroyed, and Ghosts being banished by clerics- Which they agree to when they become said thing))

Also- Monks. Monks would keep on reviving the people that were killed in this 'genocide'. Even if people agreed to PK their character ((Which I don't think many will)) most people will just be revived by monks. At which point if you keep hunting down that race or sigular players, the issue of harassment would probably come into play. 

No one wants every single day of their RP to be them being hunted down for simply having pointy ears or green skin- it might be fun for a little while but if its done ever single day, and it stops you from having another sort of Rp, it gets frustrating.

So if I decide to genocide a race, like the main races I can just keep on killing them over...and over...and over again till they agree to PK. As if we need another reason to dislike war in and of itself. 

My; so many lost characters and stories. -1 

Hmm. This may cause of concern for most people, since a majority of people don't like to die. PKing? Ehh... Let's be honest no one wants to let their character die in a Genocide. They want their character's deaths to come out with a bang (Or pop.) to give a dramatic RP experience.

Personally I want a reason of a genocide, but if this was to be used it would cause a lot of concern for other people and their well being on why this had to happen to them.

How can you genocide without being able PK people? It's just a team deathmatch where one side has clear advantage. And pisses a lot of people off.

That is, if the victim side doesn't play along. If they do, it's pretty great RP. Then again that applies to any form of RP.

I thought that we wouldn't be forced to PK our chars unless we decided to. There's even a 7 day period to bring back your PK character. Still, genocide sounds like a great idea in theory, and there's probably enough rp reason from the Fringe alone to cause this to happen.

But maybe It could be adapted. Not an entire race, but a city or village. And if the city falls, it is destroyed utterly, making it a ruin. People from that city would become refugees, having to search for a new place to call home or hide from those who so ruthlessly drove them out. 

Just a thought.

I'm pretty sure this is a common response through here. But you cannot force other players to PK. I believe the only exceptions to this are ET members being able to request you to PK. Outside of that, I'm decently sure only GM's/Admins can force you to. But, I'll have to go over the rules again to confirm this.

Anyways, in my personal opinion genocide seems pretty unfair and will drive huge amounts of playerbase away. Since... I believe humans, or elves have the largest player base (I'm completely guessing, I honestly have no idea). The largest race could simply go around, PVPing every other race into the ground until only their race is left. Then there would be less diversity in the community, which is not what LoTC needs or was intended to be. Really, all I'm saying is... .. .. . .