Saving Your Books In The Apocalypse

monkeypoacher

Hello, LoTC. In the advent of the wipe for the upcoming 3.5.5 map, I would like to show you all how to easily save your precious literature, and perhaps later use this for maniacal book-duplication schemes book-related RP. All this requires is a little time, a lot of books, and World Downloader. If you would like to learn how to install this, I shall include a tutorial video here:

Log onto LoTC with world downloader, put all the books in your possession in your inventory, (Important!) and download the world.

Now, you will need to download NBTExplorer or another NBT editing utility. I will use NBTExplorer over a matter of personal preference, but you can use whichever tool you prefer. Once you have opened it up, open the folder with your LoTC world save's name. Under it should be three folders, "DIM-1", DIM1, data, and players. Open "players" and then "(Yourname).dat".

(should look like this.)

Open "Inventory" and then any of the items on this list. Any item with the ID "387" is a Written Book. In the "tag" subfolder is the book information.

You can, in NBTexplorer, copy and paste this data out using edit. Paste it into a text file or Google Docs, and then paste it back into a written book in MC in 3.5.5. Have fun! 

This will actually be really helpful for the monks, thanks. By the way, your tags failed inside of the spoiler.

This will actually be really helpful for the monks, thanks. By the way, your tags failed inside of the spoiler.

gah. They didn't in preview. Thanks for the heads' up

Thanks, I have most of a large chest to copy into the external version of the Druid Library. This will make things go /so/ much faster.

To my knowledge, the following program allows you to copy books from the server to text files and vice versa. Which could be easier to use.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-tools/1263700-revise-edit-signed-books-w-more-options-all-os-1-6

I believe you actually have to own the server folder to copy directly from a server. Using WorldDownloader, Revise can be used to replace the second step in this guide though, I was not aware that it existed.

*Maniacal book schemes intensify*