Common Courtesy Of Castles

Treshure

Your Guide to Castles and Defenses

Too long has the server seen these impenetrable forts and god button walls, and it really was introduced in the Fringe. I am against the play to win mentality, however suggesting more rules to restrict people will raise rage like no other. Because of that, this is your common courtesy guide. If this does recieve positive feedback I’ll put it up for suggestion. Now, lets get started.

Your Average Castle/Fort

gbibf6J.png?1?1402

As you can see, nowhere does it say there are retractable floors or water-slowing-death holes or buttoned walls. This isn’t to say that your typical castle didn’t have defenses, they had plenty! Usually in a siege/raid that didn’t come with catapults or ballistas, the defenders were afraid of one thing: Ladders. Of course, in your current day of LotC this isn’t a problem.

That was the only real way to breach walls in real life sieges without siege-craft, and since that has been nullified in LotC, raids are usually boring because once the main gates are closed everyone sits around until there is a fault in the wall/they didn't work their kill traps fast enough so someone gets inside.

Do:

Have a moat with retractable bridge - Many castles had this with actual gears whereas in areas such as a gatehouse it would be extremely cramped to have another retractable floor without any warning.

Trapped areas: Many a time either in the gatehouse or the area past the gatehouse would there be little slots for archers to shoot through. They would entrap their target and mercilessly fire away.

Watch Towers/Archer Points: I don’t see much of this anymore, but these are soley for a height advantage where archers would take to and fire down at their enemies.

Murder Holes: Dropping boiling hot oil on your enemies? Why not? Have them in an area where it would make sense, where soldiers can pour it down into an enclosed space. Having little potholes that are activated on the ground don’t make sense, since what makes the oil pop up?

Barbican Maze: I haven’t seen this done often, however barbicans are deceptively open areas that lead into maze- like areas that will confuse the intruder and likely lead to his or her death.

Don’t:

Buttoned Walls: I’ll explain after this.

Sideways Ladders: Stacking ladders next to each other might make a bit more sense, but horizontal ladders make absolutely no sense.

Instantly Retractable Floors: There is a bridge function where it slowly adds block by block to form a bridge, and that would actually be cool, but that isn’t used commonly. Without warning the floor underneath you literally poofs and you fall to your death. It makes no sense, no telling where it is at, and it makes for a lousy siege.

The problem with buttoned walls is that it prevents literally the only feasible access to a castle during a raid. With a well armored gate, there is no chance to do quite really anything with buttoned walls unless they’re sallying out. Thus, lets play out a scenario of players could ladder up to the battlements.

They do so, with a responding force already waiting for them. They hit some off the ladders, and lets say they hold them back for a bit. Reinforcements come to quash this, the ladders are destroyed, and the 1st assault fails. There are ways to counter people coming up by laddering other than preventing them from doing just that. Many people say in Minecraft that there aren't any tactics, but there is organization and that is key. If a defending force knows what to do it is vastly superior to the attacking force whose only order is to kill and kill everything.

The Beautiful Thing

The beautiful thing: Castle roleplay. Ever heard of it? Perhaps. Ever done it? Unlikely. This is because players treat castles/fortifications as another defense on the offensive to keep them from getting to the important stuff (cities). With buttoned walls and an iron gate, empty forts self-defend themselves because there is no need for players to defend.

“Every castle needs it’s crew.”

~Random LotCer

With castles, there should be the government and body that reside over those castles daily. The Lord and his company of soldiers, that devise squads to respond to melee breaches and the archers who attack the assaulters on the ground. Castles are treated as places to go for a battle and not active roleplay environments, of which they can very well be. Along with the soldiers you would have your engineers, devising practical ways to defend the castle. Then you have your peasants, your cooks, so on so forth.

Why is this the only standard of defense?

It’s not! Again, this is only a suggestion/guide thread. The thing is, as long as it makes sense within your nation and isn’t literally instantaneous, it could work. Lava traps aren’t usually frowned upon because lava works slowly, falling block by block but nevertheless deadly.

Elves can have perhaps roots that trip off attackers from the drawbridge, acting as a slow moving retractable log bridge that pushes over players into a moat. Dwarves can have spouts hanging over a certain area that act as molten steel. Orcs can have huge scaddernaks represented as MC spiders that are unleashed upon their enemies. These all make sense and aren't insta-kill.  

This is going to anger players because they know that raids will become easier if they would do this. Many people complain about the state of mind going around the server revolving around this issue however many do it themselves. I’d ask you if you’d want perhaps this in the future or a re-do of the Fringe Wars.

I think all castle should be like this, rather than impenetrable mountain fortresses,

I think all castle should be like this, rather than impenetrable mountain fortresses,

People are afraid to lose pixels, I suppose. Castles must provide interesting ways to enter, and attackers must do the same. Once we all start doing that, it'll be a lot easier ^0^

Mechanical Standard

I say we just dig through the walls m7

PvP Default

I could imagine a huge horde of raiders attacking a castle, only to be stuck under the gatehouse having to fight off unleashed spiders while being burned alive by falling lava and shot down by archers in murder holes.

Great idea.

I like this guide but rules state that if something can be done with mechanics it can be done in roleplay.

IF only fun was a standard MC mechanic; I like this idea. 

Yeah I honestly think wars would be more fun if things couldn't be impentrable. I mean the defending force should have the advantage but it shouldn't be impossible for the offensive force to do anything.

Sideways Ladders: Stacking ladders next to each other might make a bit more sense, but horizontal ladders make absolutely no sense.

PR38R0c.jpg

TMW9zau.jpg

Point?

I like this guide but rules state that if something can be done with mechanics it can be done in roleplay.

Then it needs to be changed back to "If it can be done within minecraft mechanics, but can't (or WOULDN'T, OR HASN'T, OR WOULD NORMALLY) be done in real life, then don't do it.

It'd be fun to make your castle non-impenetrable, but some people play only to win, and you don't want them as the most powerful group on the server, do you?

Thus the arms-race destroys all fun. It'll be better once there's actual warclaim rules though.