Promote Freedom Of Roleplay

Cyndikate

That's because Snow Elves provide no advantages over any other race, and any that do aren't backed by lore.

It doesn't mean you should have, and instead of half-assing the concept it could've been accepted by the proper people before making all the progress culture had. The fact it wasn't even accepted gives the hint that it shouldn't be played, really.

Dark Souls is for justice.

WAIT A BLEEPIN' MINUTE.

YOU SAID THAT THE WAY TO MAKE ELITISM NONEXISTENT IS TO MAKE EVERYONE BE WHATEVER THEY WANT TO BE, MAKING EVERYONE AN ELITIST?
1a180a9c256d1f9c652ad3ae148bda7a38b70a84

WAIT A BLEEPIN' MINUTE.

thank you for the censorship for our little lord of the craftians

So, you believe your opinion is fact, when it's merely another opinion? You're attention seeking as I see by the huge amounts of red bold. Lore is necessary- but the LMs should work with the players involved, help them. It's a game after all, we might as well all have fun. 

Implying we don't? There are cases where the lore is denied because it just doesn't fit the server or for other various reasons that we deem important.

However in other cases the lore is worked on by both player and LM in an attempt to perfect it. First example that comes to mind would be the Sunetejibar, my own lore from back in 2012-13. Supremacy was very cooperative about it and helped me a bunch.

'Freedom of RP' means more factions like the Snow Elves. Now I have nothing against either the Snow Elves or the way Oren&co decided to deal with them (which is now ending in full-on genocide from what I can tell), but I do know it is causing a lot of grief for many players. Grief is not fun. Fun is what we want. Yet this kind of player-fueled action, grief and all, would be the norm of cleaning up 'bad' lore, and I don't see it ending up well.

The Snow Elves can be a great bunch, but due to unfortunate circumstances they are now finding mostly hostile interaction that tends to seep into OOC. I'd rather players be spared that kind of treatment in the future.

Better the gentle denial of the Lore Team straight away. As a staff team, it is easier to address them in dialogue or hold them accountable.

The problem with the snow elf analogy is that no offense to the snow elves, they placed the IC hostility on themselves, by causing a ruckus on every settlement they step on. If they actually huddled amongst themselves, developing their culture and playerbase in game instead of declaring war and open hostilities against larger nations, then no one would really bat an eye or even care about their existence. In fact, some people would be fine with them around. But again, their reputation sank rock bottom when their leader declared war on Alras expecting their 6 man army to do any good. The concept of snow elves was okay, but placed at a bad time when the elves were already split in 5 directions. The problem with it wasn't the concept or the timing at all, but the poor execution of the concept.

Let the players play with fire and take it in the ass the hard way with trial and error. If the playerbase enjoys the idea, then it works. If it doesn't, it will show in game.

At the moment, this world is a tad jumbled in terms of lore. Cleaning out and denying random pieces of lore will help solidify everything.

Have you ever read the Mistborn trilogies? How about Earthsea? Or Discworld? No matter how wacky the situation, or strange the goings on, each of these worlds has a set of rules and pieces of lore and history that they go by. There is a general theme to it. Now, LotC is its own thingy, but it requires rules nonetheless, otherwise new players will be scratching their heads at the four different types of conjuration or the eighteen different breeds of spider people. Oh, and those plants that do everything and the other ones that negate the everything while providing the everything with a way to become the everything plants because of a moss that is apparently growing because...

You get the point. Organization is the best tool we have when it comes to creating a world that players can get immersed in. 

Now, let me finally post why I made this thread, and no this has nothing to do with the recent lore that's been denied, and no, this does not contradict anything I have stated in the past and if you feel that's the case, you clearly misunderstood.

Why did I decide to propose roleplay freedom? To bring back the spark we once had during the early days of LOTC, where players could play whatever they wanted within reason and server rules. No one needed to write anything, unless it was magic, but people used magic anyway. One of the only things you couldn't play at all were vampires and werewolves, due to some incident back in Aegis. Lore wasn't required for anything, we just played the game. We had gender pearls, demons, fart powered rockets. People roleplayed those things, and we had fun experiencing it. We rolled with it. We were fine with it. It was clever, fun, creative and interesting. Goddammit, we RP'd hyperbolic time chambers back in the day, and it was fun! Yes, we had completely stupid ****, but the dumb **** wasn't the problem, it was the terrible execution done by a roleplayer that wasn't up to anyone's standards. That was quickly taken care of by 1 - PVP Default, 2 - Avoiding roleplay with said person until he fixed his behavior, and 3 - Ban reports and GM intervention in the worst case scenario.

In addition to this, the bad roleplayers with terrible ideas and execution were taken care of quickly. Powergaming and metagaming(along with extra BRs) created a reputation for themselves. Anyone who tries trolling, or do really dumb **** gets on everyone's personal blacklist and will be known as a troll. So anyone who tries to RP a potato would create a bad image for themselves on the server, if not end up banned by a GM.

Yes, we'll have players who come up with terrible ideas, and abuse it and PG to no end, but we have even more tools and capabilities than we did back in the day, and the situation can quickly take care of itself. We have PVP default, Ban Reports and GM intervention and best of all, we have the IC tools that can weed out the ideas that aren't up to anyone's standards. Oren's doing fine, so are the High Elves. If they could do it, so can the rest of the players.

The most creative, and talented roleplayers who provide fun for the rest of the players will quickly rise up from the dirt and sparkle like stars in the sky. Those are the players who executed their creativity well.

We had gender pearls, demons, fart powered rockets. People roleplayed those things, and we had fun experiencing it. We rolled with it. We were fine with it. It was clever, fun, creative and interesting. Goddammit, we RP'd hyperbolic time chambers back in the day, and it was fun! Yes, we had completely stupid ****, but the dumb **** wasn't the problem, it was the terrible execution done by a roleplayer that wasn't up to anyone's standards. 

In addition to this, the bad roleplayers with terrible ideas and execution were taken care of quickly. 

For me, these or the most important points here. When describing that era of LotC, these two paragraphs don't really mix. I know a lot of people, myself included, that stopped logging on because of the first paragraph, and because it wasn't handled as the second paragraph would suggest.

A lot of people thought it was fun, no doubt, but it was also in shambles. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

I am.. As the only one.. Going to approve of this thread!

I know what you mean.. Maybe just a few things that could have been phrased better. Although i really enjoy the part about taking the server back a few years.. Ofcourse i don't know what would happen if the, so called "new playerbase", would get their hands in RP freedom, I still think it's a great idea.. I think that if people actually start to have the ability to create some interesting RP for others, without having to write 10 pages of lore, that'll be great. But ofcourse this would never happen since people are too ignorant to create RP for others than themselves.

Still, i like the idea!

You're saying that if an idea is bad then the person using it can get reported. Isn't that even more elitist than denying certain lore; if your idea isn't up to scratch, you're going to get reported? If your idea is good, then you're better than everyone else? Surely it's better that a bad idea could be removed and disallowed without the need for punishing the player who made it I.E. LT approval or denial, and good ideas aren't solely under the control of singular people?

If people aren't willing to put in the effort of outlining exactly what their idea can do and giving a backstory to it, then there's no boundaries to what abilities they might have. If the player was truly interested in making other people's role play experience better, then they'd give their good idea to the server, not themselves.

Also I'm pretty sure that you made this thread because your lore was denied.

You're saying that if an idea is bad then the person using it can get reported. Isn't that even more elitist than denying certain lore; if your idea isn't up to scratch, you're going to get reported? If your idea is good, then you're better than everyone else? Surely it's better that a bad idea could be removed and disallowed without the need for punishing the player who made it I.E. LT approval or denial, and good ideas aren't solely under the control of singular people?

If people aren't willing to put in the effort of outlining exactly what their idea can do and giving a backstory to it, then there's no boundaries to what abilities they might have. If the player was truly interested in making other people's role play experience better, then they'd give their good idea to the server, not themselves.

Also I'm pretty sure that you made this thread because your lore was denied.

That's not what I said. Perhaps you need to read carefully. I said anything considered terrible ideas will be dealt with in game with the tools we already have. Powergamers will be dealt with in ban reports an PVP default, and their reputation will plummet if they refuse to improve their behavior. Trolls will be dealt with via bans. And the edgy folk will have to deal with being kicked out of towns with the capital regulations already in place IC.