Arcane Prosthetics - An Extension Of Arcane Puppetry

hex37

This post is an extension of Arcane puppetry, found Here: https://www.lordofthecraft.net/topic/111463-a/  Hopefully with this post, I can expand upon what this magic is capable of.

710c5488965e7a49dc8e4ade75e067e2-d2rik6v

A Fusion of Puppet and Audience- Partial Puppetry

For a puppeteer, Control takes precedence over all else. By its very nature and function, the magic attracts patrons drawn to control, and encourages the desire to border on obsession. Whether it be a puppet, their own bodies, or even the bodies of those dear to them, a true puppeteer will be unsatisfied until they pull at the strings of all they know.

The Mechanics

Partial puppetry allows a puppeteer to use Arcane puppetry to link parts of a mannikin to themselves or others. Arcane Puppetry is based on Soul Puppetry, the magic of linking souls to mundane objects. An arcane puppeteer preforms the logical opposite of this. They link their own soul to their puppet in order to manipulate it with precision, from incredible distances away. For such a high level of control, there is a very notable tradeoff.

A puppeteer must give up control of their body to control the body of a puppet.

By extension, this means that a puppeteer must give up use of their eye in order to see through their puppet's eye, and give up control of a hand to control the puppet's hand, and so on and so forth. For an amputee, this is particularly easy, as they lack control of a specific part of their body to begin with.

Using the soul-linking properties of Soul Puppetry, and the enchanting properties of arcane puppetry, It's possible to create a surrogate body part for those who need it. The enchanted limb moves as a normal limb would, and powers itself with mana drawn from the link to the amputee's soul. In order to maintain that strong connection, the amputee will be required to have the prosthetic on them at all times, lest the enchantment on the limb fade.

Guidelines

1: The prosthetic body-part is extremely susceptible to arcane silencing- such as warding or Ac'Mali'Whatsit magic.

2: The prosthetic lacks any sense of touch.

3: Excessive use of the limb will tire the user significantly, as the limb drains mana to cope with the extra workload.

4: The limb, like all arcane puppets, must be made of porcelain, or a gemstone in the case of eyes.

5: The strength of the prosthetic limb cannot exceed that of a normal human arm with arcane puppetry alone. In normal conditions the prosthetic will always be slightly weaker than average.

6: Prosthetic arms must be made of solid porcelain, and any additional enchantments within the arm will disrupt the connection to the user's soul.

I think this would be an excellent alternative to just having a body part reconstructed by Clerics. Not to mention the role play it would create for the individual attempting to seek out those whom could create such prosthetics.

Much support.

That is all.

+1 . love this idea :)

This sounds similar to how Saviticus used to replace lost limbs using druid healing, except a bit more thorough and a different type of magic. ( If you know the character Kefi, you've probably noticed her wooden limbs. )

Looks like Silus' schematics become more valuable with this. And I would not mind to have it in any case. Plus three.

YES YES YES! No more random people who have 'enchanted prosthetic limbs' and no real reason as to why. This will lead to interesting RP, when the amputee has to look for an Arcane Puppeteer to actually make them a replacement limb! Take my +1!

dammit kefi...

Yeah... that's sort of why we can't do it anymore (Even though I think Savvy was the only one who ever did that). I'd like to have it come back in a more limited form, but I don't know if that will ever happen.

Anyway, I like the lore! I don't think it quite fits the Monkey's original vision of the magic, but it makes sense, and sometimes unexpected things can pop up as a logical extension of a magic, right? :)

Trust me when I say that I've really tried to contact Monkey on this- poor lad has up and left, though.

Trust me when I say that I've really tried to contact Monkey on this- poor lad has up and left, though.

Yeah... I can say the original idea was voodoo curses to the point that the magic was called voodoo early on. I remember there was an early attempt to expand the lore but I'm not sure what happened to that.

I have a few questions on arcane puppetry in general. I've been told that the magic is known by very few, so what's the point of adding this on if only a few people can actually experience it in their own RP? Wouldn't it be smarter to actually spread the magic about so everyone can experience it, before actually adding on? Until I get a good idea of why the magic seems to limited, I'm gonna leave a -1. The Dwarves already have a more permanent solution to losing limbs (though it does have to be replaced if it gets worn down or used for extended periods of time).

I have a few questions on arcane puppetry in general. I've been told that the magic is known by very few, so what's the point of adding this on if only a few people can actually experience it in their own RP? Wouldn't it be smarter to actually spread the magic about so everyone can experience it, before actually adding on? Until I get a good idea of why the magic seems to limited, I'm gonna leave a -1. The Dwarves already have a more permanent solution to losing limbs (though it does have to be replaced if it gets worn down or used for extended periods of time).

Um, I don't know why you're making all this crap up but- I can tell you that you're wrong.

All magic is free. Anyone can make a character that learns arcane puppetry. Under existing rules, I literally could not stop them if I wanted to.

Um, I don't know why you're making all this crap up but- I can tell you that you're wrong.

All magic is free. Anyone can make a character that learns arcane puppetry. Under existing rules, I literally could not stop them if I wanted to.

well not ALL magic is free. But soul puppetry is. 

Weeeeeeell, back in Tahn'siol (Anthos Haelun'or), a high elf named Silvos invented acid and lost both of his hands, he later replaced them with some sort of silver-hands which he used telekineses to use and even transmutation then he felt like doing a big show.