What's The Deal With Orcish Height?

Swgrclan

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/jerry%20seinfeld.jpg

After perusing a topic regarding Orcs that claims they are combat super-machines that cannot be beaten in a height contest and have a racial population that knows how to swing a big club around since exiting the womb [ https://www.lordofthecraft.net/topic/116484-so-you-think-you-can-1v1-an-orc/ ], I wanted to discuss Orcs and their unruly proportions further and make my own claim that alot of the characteristics of their race are ridiculous and defy the server's basic laws of physics that are vaguely regarded in role play.

Their height has grown too large to be considered realistic or fair anymore. One cannot be over 8 feet tall and properly retain ones' balance consistently enough to where you may match others in combat or other related hostile circumstances. Andre the Giant was famed for his height in his wrestling career, and while this almost inhumane height gave Andre an edge against his opponents, it brought about many physical complications in his life. One prominent example of these complications in question was the fact that blood had difficulty circulating through his person on behalf of his large bodymass. On top of circulatory disfunctions, his gigantism weight put pressure on his skeletal structure.

Another example of excessively unhealthy height would be Robert Wadlow who, at over 8 feet tall, was forced to wear leg braces so he may mobilize and died at 22 because of the physical wear that his condition brought about. Now, I'm sure the excuse to match these heights and even pass them would be that this is a fantasy setting where things may be vastly different than the real world - and that is a valid point - but being this tall is going overboard. If someone has reached 8 feet of height, they have literally become a giant. Orcs are not giants, they are savage green people with tusks that stand over the normal height of the other races, but not so severely. At most, the tallest Orc (and I express "tallest" as a rare trait) should be 7 feet tall. This includes Ologs, who in their own right may lean more toward 7 feet because of their written traits.

Looking at it from a lore standpoint may further express my view. When the four brothers were brought into existence, Krug was the tallest of them when he still retained his more plain, human-esque features. However, when he was corrupted by the fire of Iblees, he did not grow 2 feet taller. This absurd "balanced gigantism" was not a trait or drawback that Krug's descendants were given through blood. It is a common misconception that began since Aegis and has survived up to here.

Cutting a fraction from Orcish height would make them both realistic and able to be understood more as a race. Greenskins are Orcs, not giants.

Also...

They live in a desert, food is typically quite scarce.

I don't think rotten food is a potent source of good carbs and high protein.

How they retain their fighting strength, or even achieve their massive sizes from eating decomposing food is beyond me.

*Coughs* "Fantasy RP Server." Nobody said physics needs to apply here.

ohey there...

Armor weight, floating leaves ban, strip mine ban, support pillars in buildings, arrow path of descent, wait times in order to actually craft something, the definition of powergaming, etc. etc...

*Coughs* "Fantasy RP Server." Nobody said physics needs to apply here.

A degree of realism needs to be maintained. A very basic degree granted, but physics is among which needs to be regulated.

Otherwise I'll just take my character and :jetpack:

No complaining! He can fly, Physics shouldn't apply in a fantasy realm after all.

OrcAnatomy01.jpg

this is why we should only rip off 40k

practical size and hunch over means more support so good good

also, if we follow darwin's theory of evolution, it is possible that orcs evolved to be larger due to the bigger and stronger orks getting the mate, the smaller orks cant breed so the small trait isnt passed on but the big trait is. im not sure how far back the lore goes so the theory may not be applicable

Do you know how much food a simple bodybuilder has to eat to maintain his muscle?

Now double or even triple that amount.

Do you know how much food a simple bodybuilder has to eat to maintain his muscle?

Now double or even triple that amount.

if we're going off mech standards which the gms seem to love so much then orks get plenty of food

Those same 9ft orcs don't seem to have issues walking into human buildings and through human doors without crouching or slouching due to their height. Hm.

I still am baffled how a 12 foot tall Oolg can somehow manage to get through my 6-7 foot doorframe to my pub... but he was hitting his head on the support beams constantly.

Interesting read. Don't have much input so I'm going to sit here with my popcorn and watch the discussion unfold. Perhaps put my two-cents in.

Jaejoong_popcorn.gif

ohey there...

Armor weight, floating leaves ban, strip mine ban, support pillars in buildings, arrow path of descent, wait times in order to actually craft something, the definition of powergaming, etc. etc...

No one likes armor weight (exageration, but close I think.) Floating leaves are simply hideous. Strip mining is also hidious, and when's the last time you saw a fantasy mine being just like a MC strip mine? I always see them as how mines work, more or less, in real life. 

in fantasy arrows still obey gravity, last I checked, unless they're some kind of magic arrow. And I can't stand most of the shitty wait times either.

As for power gaming, well, power gaming isn't what you think it is. You're probably referring to god moding. Orc's can't, or shouldn't, be powergaming - which the definition is basically forcing your emotes on someone else or otherwise OOCly controlling their character and the outcome of what happens to another character that is not yours.

God moding, well, Orcs don't, or shouldn't, do that either. First of all, how many giants have you seen in fantasy? That are far larger than an orc, that's for certain. Trolls? What about them? Why aren't we complaining about trolls? Or the fact that dragons, by the laws of physics, could not even dream of actually flying with their immense weight.

Remember Setherien? I doubt that should have been allowed to pass. Let alone any other dragon. 

How about some of the events using giant zombies? How did they manage to stay upright, stomping about?

Oh yeah...

MC Mechanics, and the fact that this if a fantasy server. Get over it.

Also, if an orc that's taller than 7 feet passes through a regular doorway with little to no difficulty call that shite out.

Oh boi, here comes people with their shitposts ._.

Anyways, what do you want to come out of this? For our Uruk and Olog characters to magically shrink? For us to void any roleplay that had any reason to do with their height? I dunno' what you're trying to get outta' making this thread man.

I think the orcs should be able to be incredibly huge...if they are all dumb as hell. This includes no skill in fighting, Simply waving a club.

I think the orcs should be able to be incredibly huge...if they are all dumb as hell. This includes no skill in fighting, Simply waving a club.

When people say all Orcs are stupid... no, they're not. Look at the Orcish shamans, look at the old, wiser Orcs. Not all Orcs are stupid, some can even be incredibly intellectual and wise.