Late Medieval Armour Types

thesmellypocket

Hey another subscriber to Matt Eastern! I actually met him once xD

Hey another subscriber to Matt Eastern! I actually met him once xD

cool, also watch lindybiege, skallgram, and the other people who do these sorts of videos. I am going to my first drill for my re-enactment group in a few weeks.

To be honest I don't particularly like the style of most Historical armours, especially the Helmets such as the Bascinets, Although this is useful I'd much prefer to have my character in a fantasy style plate (Obviously not something ridiculously inpractical like Spiked armour with Humongous Spaulders but you know what I mean :P)

My previous character had a gambeson under a mail shirt which was under a silk surcoat, I always used to RP having the different layers and stuff. So more sort of 13th century, but still, if I ever create another martial character, I'll use this in RP. 

This server is sort of fantasy 15-14th century.

Rofl. No. We have technology and ideologies from the 1st century AD combined with technology and ideologies more advanced than what we have in modern times. Trying to place the server in any point in history and trying to have any sort of IRL timeline cohesion is pretty much pointless. Oren is 14th-15th century Europe, no where else is.

To be honest I don't particularly like the style of most Historical armours, especially the Helmets such as the Bascinets, Although this is useful I'd much prefer to have my character in a fantasy style plate (Obviously not something ridiculously inpractical like Spiked armour with Humongous Spaulders but you know what I mean :P)

I have to agree that most actual historical armors don't look too aesthetically pleasing, at least when the helmet is being worn (Most helmets look retarded af). The reason for that is that they were designed 100% for battle and what would be most effective in battle. There are ceremonial armors that look a lot better that are designed for ceremonies (duh). No one went walking around town in their battle armor so how it looked really did not matter.

This server is sort of fantasy 15-14th century

Going to have to agree with Pie-Man here. If you go anywhere on the server, the type of RP is different. Oren may fit that theme, but the Orcs are still in a tribal state of living. The Elves have various combinations of armor types and makes, anything from bronze to iron in terms of metals used to make them. The Dwarves are... Dwarves... Eh, it's a combination of so many time periods.

Eh..? Bascinets looking bad? <-<

What about these, 'flat visored' bascinets?

flat-bascinet.jpg

_DSC3246.jpg

italian_bascinet_by_vreden-d4guw8y.jpg

Personally, I own a 'Pig-Nosed'/'Houndskull' visored bascinet.

They're quite darn useful and do actually look fetching, if they're well-made.

Arrows pretty much glance aside and spear-tips glide off.

Need to remove the visor for melee, though, as vision does get quite limited.

It's why you often see small hinges or locks, they make the removal of the visor easier.

Don't place Lotc in our real worlds historical timeline, think of something like Lotr instead. But, you should still be realistic with armour and such.

Here is Darius, with thick armour, not realistic:

l81cEH0.png

And here is Uruk Hai armour, looks just fine:

r56AqwQ.png

But both are still fantasy, The Uruk Hai armour might be based on armour from our timeline but it's not exactly our Dark Ages armour, it's also fantasy.

Don't place Lotc in our real worlds historical timeline, think of something like Lotr instead.

Going to have to agree with that and what Pie has stated. However, I do believe that this is informational for those that don't quite know what armor they have, give them an idea of what to describe their armor as and possibly send them to do a bit more research.

Don't place Lotc in our real worlds historical timeline, think of something like Lotr instead. But, you should still be realistic with armour and such.

I feel the same exact way. I don't want someone running around in ridiculous armor that probably wasn't even correctly smithed. Except that mountain plate armor needs to be done. It looks too cool not to be done by an RP blacksmith. I'm a hypocrite when it comes to this.

i2nEQ8V.jpg

Its the third armor set. DnD approves it and so do I. Dwarf RP craft 4 lyf.

Lindibeige, our Lord and Savior, destroyer of misconceptions and Sovereign of the History Nerds..

Eh..? Bascinets looking bad? <-<

What about these, 'flat visored' bascinets?

flat-bascinet.jpg

_DSC3246.jpg

italian_bascinet_by_vreden-d4guw8y.jpg

Personally, I own a 'Pig-Nosed'/'Houndskull' visored bascinet.

They're quite darn useful and do actually look fetching, if they're well-made.

Arrows pretty much glance aside and spear-tips glide off.

Need to remove the visor for melee, though, as vision does get quite limited.

It's why you often see small hinges or locks, they make the removal of the visor easier.

My character actually use to wear a Helmet incredibly similar to that of the second image, I do like that helmet very much compared to normal Bascinets as it does look fairly intimidating rather than the Pig-faced variants which I think look like Mickey Mouse (Lol), although I'm not too sure if Helmet's like that were actually used due to how flat they are..