[Lore][Wip] Ghost Abilities: Possession

cman64

*Note* This has been reduced to the point where it is fair for both sides of RP. feel free to give feedback

*An old notebook lies upon a dusty shelf, its binding showing the years it has suffered*

-=-Within the Shadows there is more to Fear-=-

Throughout the planes of existence, there holds the spirits of the dead. Often do mortals think of these spirits as entities capable of no more than illusions and tricks, but they can do so much more…

A spirit can possess objects, often scaring the victim, or killing in many cases. This is a known fact to those who hunt such beings, returning them to the light. But what remains unknown to all is their abilities that come with age. For what I have found to be true, the older the being, the stronger it becomes.

So it brings me to this conclusion.

These beings can possess a mortal man, gaining control of his body and its functions for a period of time.

Over various accounts, spirits have been known to have this ability, mainly due to their different plane of existence. This plane allows them to pass through barriers, appear transparent, and as stated, possess objects.   

Their ability to use their energy and manipulate it into the shape of the object is astounding. The object becomes a shell for the spirit’s energy, allowing for full control.

The spirits are capable of doing the same with mortal bodies.

They enact the same process of drawing in energy from the life around them. https://www.lordofthecraft.net/topic/115553-lore-when-ghosts-get-the-munchies/?hl=%2Bwhen+%2Bghosts+%2Bmunchies

Through this, they can create an energy barrier that surrounds the mortal’s soul and allows for the body to become a shell for the being.

However, the body can only remain as a shell for a short period of time, as it requires large amounts of energy to keep the soul barrier strong. Depending on the power of the being, the time can range from a few minutes to an hour. This can vary with the amount of energy drawn from the surrounding life.

I have noticed, though, that regardless of the possession, the spirit cannot use other spectral powers within the mortal shell. This comes back to the amount of energy required to do so, and thus they cannot use multiple abilities at the same time.

But with various subjects, whom were possessed, often hade baggy eyes, ice cold skin and small muscle spasms every few minutes. These are signs of a possession, and should be handled with care.

One theory, though it is unproven, is that the soul can combat the spirit. With enough willpower, the mortal being's soul can break the barrier of the spirit, sending the being back out of the body. This occurs in extremely rare cases, but seems to be possible regardless.

Use this information wisely, for within the shadows there is more to fear.

-anonymous researcher

Summary:

Ghosts and spectral beings have the ability to create a soul barrier, turning the mortal body into a shell for possession. The possession cannot last for long, and much more powerful(older) spirits can hold the shell longer.

Red Lines:

-You cannot use multiple abilities during possession

-You cannot control the mortal’s thoughts, nor influence them. You can only have control of the body as if you were mortal again.

-If you get stabbed, you will not feel pain, but can be handicapped by the injury.

-If you are stabbed with any weapon made of gold, it will destroy the barrier and release the possession ability on the mortal.

-You cannot control bodily functions (ex. throwing up, urinating, etc) while possessed.

-You MUST wait to posses another body until you have absorbed more energy (1 hour due to large amounts of energy used)

-You MUST rp to the standards of spooky rp and possession. This includes the effects on the body and overall actions of the spirit

-if a cleric comes and removes the spirit, the spirit must restore energy upon its removal. This will prevent any further possessions made by this specific spirit, however, if another spirit is present, it can posses the body after the first spirit’s removal.

-The player being possessed gets to roll as to whether or not the soul can fight the spirit. This will only work if the roll is  higher than the ghost's to simulate stronger willpower in the character 

-Mortals with 2 souls require more energy, and can only be held for a short period of time. 

(First possession post made by demothus)https://www.lordofthecraft.net/topic/109680-ghost-roleplay-idea-possession/

Edited by cman64

I support this.

The Lore Masters were not too descriptive on the type of possession that it says

in the wiki currently, thus, has caused much confusion in the community

of the ghosts. This seems like a fair ability to add into the game... Since

many have been using it already under false pretenses.

I support this topic all the way, this would add much better lore/roleplay for ghost/spirits and the like.

Make the roll something either 15+ or a roll off between the ghost and the participant, 18+ isn't entirely fair. Also, I am not 100% in favor of this considering it only helps a very small portion of the community though it doesn't harm the rest.

Change the roll to being greater than the spirit, or make it so that a person may combat the possession in RP. I can also see a few exceptions such as beings with 'two' souls that need to be covered over, and thus being twice as hard to cover.

Change the roll to being greater than the spirit, or make it so that a person may combat the possession in RP. I can also see a few exceptions such as beings with 'two' souls that need to be covered over, and thus being twice as hard to cover.

Both changes have been made, any more feedback is greatly appreciated 

It's a good idea and all... Makes sense for a Ghost... But I'm sorry, I'll have to say no.

It WILL, and let me repeat that... WILL be powergamed.

It's nice, but apologies.

It already has by people even though it isn't in the game yet. -1 It shouldn't be a thing for ghosts or should be extremely hard/limited for them, Or we might have another white 'peace' ghost running around killing 4 people using it. 

It already has by people even though it isn't in the game yet. -1 It shouldn't be a thing for ghosts or should be extremely hard/limited for them, Or we might have another white 'peace' ghost running around killing 4 people using it. 

or we can report powergaming to moderation instead of using it as an excuse to shoot down roleplay ideas?

or we can report powergaming to moderation instead of using it as an excuse to shoot down roleplay ideas?

It was already reported so maybe you give feed back?

it was already happily Powergamed and they saw nothing wrong with they did even after trying to explain it ((edit also they did it again the next day)). I was agreeing with renn it is and will be powegamed. Just how mental mages can not have mind control for the same reasons.

It was already reported so maybe you give feed back?

it was already happily Powergamed and they saw nothing wrong with they did even after trying to explain it ((edit also they did it again the next day)). I was agreeing with renn it is and will be powegamed. Just how mental mages can not have mind control for the same reasons.

i thought you were talking about the ghetto loreless possession that was pretty much made up

It's a good idea and all... Makes sense for a Ghost... But I'm sorry, I'll have to say no.

It WILL, and let me repeat that... WILL be powergamed.

It's nice, but apologies.

No offense, can't anything be power-gamed? Something having a higher likelihood doesn't make it any different than any other magic or mundane thing.. just my little tad bit of course, mostly a comment. Neither agreeing or disagreeing with you. 

i thought you were talking about the ghetto loreless possession that was pretty much made up

but just for my Its that with a few lucky rolls you can have control other anothers body.The time being oh im 'this' strong of a ghost so I can do it for as long as I need to.I think just letting normal players have the chance at using  ability with a few lucky rolls can ruin a lot so easily and in some cases might just ruin the fun for the person being possessed if used to be an annoyance or to get at some one with no real reason to be doing so other than some OOC laughs because you can ruin some thing important for them. Sure you can protect yourself like all other magic but no other magic can really force some thing like this.

@Renn, quotes not working on my phone: How so? How are ghosts already powerful? I mean they can't really interact with the physical world other than a weak telekinesis and other abilities that are mostly just to scare people. I mean, I guess a ghost can grow in power to actually pose a threat but that would mean years of being a ghost, "acting ghost-ly" and so forth. Just asking out of curiousity.