[Lore][Wip] Ghost Abilities: Possession

cman64

Anything can indeed be powergamed. But look at it like this...

Someone summoning a fireball within one emote; you can obviously tell that's powergaming.

Another person... possessing someone and doing stuff out of their boundaries... Now, not everyone knows what the limits could be. Some people wouldn't of seen this thread or the Wiki for ghost rules.

Essentially, I'm saying that this could be powergamed in a way that's discreet. Tbh, ghosts are already powerful as it is. With this, I think everyone and their dog would be making a ghost.

There's only a handful of people that play ghosts that are powerful and the majority of them powergame. Ghosts can be forced to be PK'd as well (in accordance with https://www.lordofthecraft.net/topic/95942-%E2%9C%93-ghost-purges/), so I don't think everyone will be making ghosts if Clerics and others can just go around and get rid of them permanently.

+1 to the lore, it'd make things spookier and provide more RP for ghosts, Clerics, and other people that deal with spooks.

but just for my Its that with a few lucky rolls you can have control other anothers body.The time being oh im 'this' strong of a ghost so I can do it for as long as I need to.I think just letting normal players have the chance at using  ability with a few lucky rolls can ruin a lot so easily and in some cases might just ruin the fun for the person being possessed if used to be an annoyance or to get at some one with no real reason to be doing so other than some OOC laughs because you can ruin some thing important for them. Sure you can protect yourself like all other magic but no other magic can really force some thing like this.

Alright, Bob is getting possessed and shouts that something is entering them. A large percentage of players are automatically going to assume some sort of spook is in control and will take out some gold weapon to use it to smack the possessed person. From what I've seen, more players metagame and powergame /against/ ghosts than ghosts do against players.

Plus, just have the player wear some sort of golden item, and that'll ward their body from ghosts as seeing how ghosts have an aversion for that.

That being said, I'd rather have my time be ruined through /roleplay/ than some asshat running up to me and PvP'ing me for my pixels and ruining the RP that I was currently in.

Obviously, powergaming is seen as a big problem with possession. i can understand how it can be powergamed, and the conflicts in RP that could come of it. Now i want to see more ghosts here and there to bring about new rp situations. Possession is one of those abilities that we all have seen with the shows and movies everywhere, whether it was a demon or a spirit. So i feel that this should be in-game, but due to the threat of powergaming, it can only be used by those who qualify.

I can create an app for those who want to use possession, who will swear to use it wisely or else their privileges can be revoked, and even a possible temp-ban if it continues. With that being said, that system can only work if the players rp properly, and report it if it happens truthfully. Now knowing how these things go, there will be issues so proof will need to be present just like bans need proof before the person is kicked from the server.

apps for previous things such as magic did work for a time, so this app being used for the use of a power can work.

another problem will be those that may lie about having their app accepted, and so i would post a list of those who can possess others on an ooc ghost q/a topic if problems arise.

This is simply an idea if you all choose to compromise rather than -1 the idea 

-snip-

If apps could be done and kept like that I think it could work, just some thing simple but still allowed them to lose it if they cant RP it correctly or just use it ruin others fun a +1 with some thing that, So not every ghost created today can use it.

I don't see a reason why this idea should be delayed any longer..

Anything can be powergamed in a sense, Jaeden. That does not warrant that you should -1 this. The guy seems to have put a lot of effort into this. As others already said, the possession and what not is already being used, this is just some lore or the sorts to make it less questionable, etc. The ghosts, whether they have a certain leader or someone who administrates those who play as ghosts, should be able to handle any powergamers or the like.

Over-all, I like it. +1

I can see where Jaeden's coming from, i've seen certain ghosts abuse and powergame their abilities in many instances, partially from classic play-to-win mentalities and partially from a simple vagueness of the limitations of ghost magic. That being said, I do like the idea of possession and I certainly don't want to punish the many good ghost roleplayers for the actions of a few, so i'm gonna go ahead and recommend you add that possession requires the OOC consent of the victim, that way everyone should be happy, right? That'll at least deter players from abusing this lore by making a ghost and emoting *possesses man*-*draws sword*-*repeatedly stabs self* or some crazy jazz~

Im sorry to say that this lore has been Denied.

Ghosts possession leaves a character in full control of another player, which in a way is a very powerful form of powergaming. As well, there are things which don't add up, such as able to control the body, yet not feeling any pain. Extreme problems to many characters can appear from this, and they will not be able to do anything about it, and happen just because a ghost wants to have some fun or be evil. Ghost possession will continue to be only to items.