A Quick Guide To Pvp

oblivionsbane

A Quick Guide to PvP

by oblivionsbane

I'm writing A Quick Guide to PvP because of all the hubbub and complaints I've had to look at for the last... Year or so I guess. I figure maybe if I write up a guide on it, it might help players that are inexperienced stand a fair chance against it. I will not be going into great detail about every single aspect of MC PvP, because this is meant to be a crash course for people who aren't used to the PvP scene at all. That said, let's get started!

-FPS-

Getting amazing FPS isn't as crucial as you might think. More always helps but even 30 can be enough to PvP to a fair extent. Typically fairly decent FPS is around 40-60, anything more and you are getting all you need. The only part of PvP that needs extremely high frames is when using a bow. On LotC bows aren't that big of a deal with all the armor people wear and lack of power enchants so don't worry about it. I will now tell you what you should set your settings to, or what I set them to, to get the best FPS possible.

Graphics: Fast

Smooth lighting: Off

Brightness: Bright

Particles: Minimal

Clouds: Off

Fullscreen: On/Off, whichever you prefer.

Turn the master volume all the way down.

Set the render distance to the lowest setting, preferably 2.

Go to the lowest resolution texture pack you have, probably default.

Set your FOV to 90, it gives you peripheral vision.

Also, you can try getting optifine if you really want an extra 20-30 FPS.

-Equipment-

Here is where things get kind of interesting. Most people on here think you have to have armor and an iron sword to PvP effectively. This is not true. An iron sword does 7 damage, a stone does 6, and a wood one does 5. Keep in mind you have forty hitpoints currently on LotC typically. Thus it takes 6, 7, and 8 respectively on an unarmored person to kill them (not factoring in regeneration.) What does this mean? A stone sword isn't far off from an iron one, and if you don't have anything else (or can't afford anything else) you shouldn't be afraid to use one in a PvP situation.

Armor is a little different however, but not much. On here currently most people use chainmail. It's cheap, effective, lightweight, and good for day to day use. That mitigates about half of whatever damage you are going to do. Which honestly with some of the damage increases on our swords you still end up doing a lot of damage. But it's probably a good idea to keep a set of chainmail on you just in case.

2UxkNy5.png

(Note: This list states the added damage to each attack. Thus an iron sword would actually do 7 damage, not 6, because you by default do 1 damage.)

Finally, keep a bow and some arrows on you. You may not use them, but it's better to have them than to not have them. Also don't ever try and engage in archery without super high FPS and a lot of space between you and the target. In most situations, a sword and armor is all you will need.

-How To PvP-

Alright, now for the nitty gritty. The strategy here is pretty simple and works well for me. There are really two simple techniques in PvP. One is circling where you move around the other person in a circle so they can't target you. The other is called juggling. I mostly use the juggling technique in my PvP'ing.

So, how to PvP effectively. Make sure you are ready and there is someone counting down. Also, generally, it's better to go on GO rather than one, but make sure it's clear which you are going on. Make sure you have full health and hunger, prepared your equipment, and lowered your settings before the countdown! Also make sure you have your sword and whatnot ready. Once the countdown starts, watch what the other person is doing and respond accordingly. Usually people might move around, but I usually either stand still or move back and forth because I'm getting excited.

During the countdown hold your sprint key, usually set to your left ctrl key. The second it says go, begin sprint jumping, or just sprinting depending on situation and terrain, at the other player. Keep your ctrl key held down the entire fight and click as fast as you can, trying to keep your crosshair in his hitbox so you do damage. The behavior the other person will give after being hit like this is called juggling. You will be knocking them around and sending them flying. Just try and stay with the other player, at the same time trying to use the circling technique as much as possible to stay out from the front of their screen so they can't hit you.

Remember to click as fast as you can. Clicking speed is the difference between winning and losing a fight in MC. If he clicks faster you can basically think of it as doing more DPS than you, which means you will die before he does. Finally, you either win or lose. What's important is being a good sport. If you won, tell them good fight, if you lost, tell them good fight. It honestly means a lot to people if you present an attitude like that afterwards. The only reason some people on the server and I are buddies is because I was a good sport after I lost and told them good fight.

http://www.brainbashersgames.com/games/10seconds.asp

Practice your clicking speed on this site. A score of about seventy is good. That means you are clicking seven times a second.

Also most players on here practice their PvP'ing on thedarkage.nl kit PvP server, so try and get some practice if you feel like it too.

Feel free to leave other tips for people in the reply's!

2 things to note about this guide, you should be carefull about naming other servers if we stillgot that advertise rule (which I think)

Secondly, there is a max clicks which MC can detect each second (can't remember it, can ask my PvP Senpai again).

Other than that, goodie (yet unexpected) guide. 

Another thing to add is that just because you have magic, does not mean you don't carry a set of chain and a sword around. People who RP melee characters or magic will still need MC representation, and the likely hood is the magic plugin won't shield you from the necessity with its own resources when its released.

I have seen groups of 8-9 killed in closed rooms where they had absolute advantage by even just 1 person because they all went and had no armour and ended up hitting themselves. One of the occasions (of many) I asked why these people don't carry armour. They always reply that "They shouldn't have to, their mages."

Just because your a mage, does not mean you get a cheap and easy life without armour and weapons and expecting handouts from governments every warclaim. You must always own a couple sets of chain (Literally, a days voting accounts for the cost of a set), and you will be fine and dandy to protect yourself from bandits.

Its a social effect, if everyone is equally well equipped and a small playerbase of PVPers harasses a larger one, the larger one ends up finding their consistently outnumbered. It will eliminate just the cases where 1-2 people can hold up the standing inn etc.

And one last thing. If someone is banditing someone else, and there are enough people around, its not just the victims fight. Its always your fight if you are a victim to bandits and aren't friends with said bandits.

Can't get Armour? Talk to the dwarves (And me!), I will sell you a set for the price it is in iron, no additional fees, EXP for creation as payment. Weapons the same deal, swords the same deal, enchants the same deal. Dwarves are legendary blacksmiths (says some RP), go follow think that IC too, or consider it.

And for reference, half of the more casual RPers don't even know what a good % set of chain is from. Don't get it from anyone less than a legendary blacksmith.

2 things to note about this guide, you should be carefull about naming other servers if we stillgot that advertise rule (which I think)

Secondly, there is a max clicks which MC can detect each second (can't remember it, can ask my PvP Senpai again).

Other than that, goodie (yet unexpected) guide. 

Ah yeah I thought about that whole naming other servers thing. Well really I think it's just advertising that's not allowed, and I figure that since it isn't like another RP server it isn't too big a deal. If there is a problem with it, I'm sure I will get a message and I will just remove that little bit out of it. I saw BNK browsing a bit ago and he didn't say anything so I figure it's fine in this case.

Not trying to be rude and I guess it is well written.
But hell, I find this so damn hilarious that we have PvP guides..

LotPvP

Considering pvp is default, it's not really that funny. It's useful.

Good guide, I think! I'm not much for pvp, anyway. I don't even have armor properly :c

Another thing to add is that just because you have magic, does not mean you don't carry a set of chain and a sword around. People who RP melee characters or magic will still need MC representation, and the likely hood is the magic plugin won't shield you from the necessity with its own resources when its released.

I have seen groups of 8-9 killed in closed rooms where they had absolute advantage by even just 1 person because they all went and had no armour and ended up hitting themselves. One of the occasions (of many) I asked why these people don't carry armour. They always reply that "They shouldn't have to, their mages."

Maybe some of us don't care to, and would rather just let them do it so we can get back to roleplay. At least in my case, it's a conscious choice I make not to carry stuff. I, for one, just don't care.

Losing half a stack of bread every now and then is a good price to pay to get back to rp.

Just because your a mage, does not mean you get a cheap and easy life without armour and weapons and expecting handouts from governments every warclaim. You must always own a couple sets of chain (Literally, a days voting accounts for the cost of a set), and you will be fine and dandy to protect yourself from bandits.

Its a social effect, if everyone is equally well equipped and a small playerbase of PVPers harasses a larger one, the larger one ends up finding their consistently outnumbered. It will eliminate just the cases where 1-2 people can hold up the standing inn etc.

Really doesn't seem like a thing to try to change OOCly.

Moral of the story; If you want hard PvP, play on LoTC. ^

Although this guide is useful to the current state of the server, the fact that it exists makes me cringe.

Good Guide! I didn't know some of this stuff, like the damage ratios on swords. And I'm an orc player... I've let my people down. There is only one thing to do...

Tell my family I loved them.

You forgot the part when you get on teamspeak and the meta birds give you all the factz about the enemy and where they come from and how they will attack. Rookie. Add that right now. 

Upon further thought I have decided that I will remove the "Closing" part of this post. After thinking about it, I realized that it isn't really relevant to the guide, and would probably alienate some players from utilizing it. It is a bit opinionated, as in fact most of this guide is. Something I wanted to add in but never did is that these settings and things are what work for me. Your settings might work better with fancy graphics on for all I know, although what I did put in this guide is a good base to start with! That said I want it to be as good and user friendly as it can be. Because all resources on these forums, and especially something I put my name on, should be the best they can be.

I hope it helps. :)