Aura Sensory Magic

MamaBearJade

some people on Lotc can't play by the rule of "just because you can, doesn't always mean you should", and will often take what you've given and abuse it.

Aside from that, spiritual aura seems way too real for Lotc, much like how the Oren religion is handled too much like Christianity. Hence why I believe this bit of lore just doesn't seem to relate or fit into Lotc all too well.

Regarding your first point, the same could be said about literally any magic. There's not a single one that doesn't rely on the player not powergaming/abusing, so why is this any different?

As for your second point, if that's the case, why is said culture and religion not prohibited on the server and why is it allowed? Furthermore, since when was "It's too real" ever been a valid argument to say something doesn't fit on the server? Are we going to ban clothes and weapons on the server because they're too similar to what we have in reality too?

It is its own type as its spiritual not void diety or aspect. It pertains to your own senses and your own personal ability. Some people IRL claim to have this ability. I personally can tell if someone is behind me, it feels...weird and usually by the time I feel them, i would have been killed had they wanted that. It gives no advantages in game, like stated "Can be considered a parlour trick"

The having a feeling someone is watching you I think is more of a paranoia than anything, but to a degree it can be abused though not as badly as somethings I have seen with others having super reflexes and senses. Everything else I see no issue whatsoever with. But if it is a parlour trick. Why make it locked? If it's a spiritual thing that doesn't seem like requires a connection to any fancy void or deity, but just happens randomly to your character why would it need to be locked?

The having a feeling someone is watching you I think is more of a paranoia than anything, but to a degree it can be abused though not as badly as somethings I have seen with others having super reflexes and senses. Everything else I see no issue whatsoever with. But if it is a parlour trick. Why make it locked? If it's a spiritual thing that doesn't seem like requires a connection to any fancy void or deity, but just happens randomly to your character why would it need to be locked?

Because it can be taught how to control. Again, taking from personal experiences, my dad would teach me how to sense things. I personally believe in this stuff IRL, while my friends call it "parlour tricks" or "Good guessing" or "Heat related". I want it locked in the beginning as teacher locked, because i want it taught properly before letting it out so openly. Like a trial before opening the flood gates. Similar to how we simplified VAs before removing them completely.

This lore requires not just the user to know in detail about aura but the person who's aura is being read as well. You can't say someone's aura is one thing when it is not because while small you are still powergaming and forcing an action/mood onto someone which would be fine if this was Illusion but it isn't.

Furthermore this isn't really magic at all. Aura reading is an innate ability IRL and making it magic in LOTC seems like a bit of a stretch. I say go ahead and read people's auras but get rid of the magical aspects and RP what it is. Just be careful you aren't forcing people to RP an aura.

​For the above reasons this lore shouldn't be locked. I can only assume there have already been characters who read auras (It's a common hippie thing) and it wouldn't make sense to block a offensive-less form of RP.

You can pick up on emotions based on their actions in game. You can also (when in doubt) just claim you cant read their aura. This is something I had been developing not just for people to be able to be someone who can tell if someone isnt who they say they are but also for those who play blind characters. The reason its starting out locked is the same reason other magic is locked. To get it so its situated and rp'd properly. I can remove the lock and keep the aura sensing, but without actual lore, people tend to get up in their bunches about "Well do you have lore for that" such as with my poisons on Laila.

This is a more concentrated form of the "hippy" thing as you can read peoples spiritual auras. It is /powergaming/ to force something onto someone else, thus you can not force someone to have a specific colored aura. It is also /metagaming/ to know someone is someone else without doing the proper rp to veryfy as well as rolls.

If I had this and saw you walking around with an emote "Has his head low" I could assume you have a blue aura, or be very ambiguous and say its grey cause I can not tell. Or, if I really want to know, could just PM you and say "Is your character sad?" There is no forcing of anything. Most auras would be grey unless we know for sure if someone is angry or sad or happy. You can easily tell moods with many characters. Mirabelle would normally be yellow cause she is normally happy, while Patriotic's August would be dark blue cause he is usally brooding about something.

Edit: While I personally do not believe it should be unlocked, but stay as teacher locked, I have removed the minor lock from it.

So you are saying it is easy reading the auras of one-dimensional characters?

I am saying its easy to read the emotions of one-dimensional characters.

Reading further than that requires more intensive training

If I should post my honest opinion. I would say no to anything based off real life religious things as you have stated this being based on "wicca". Of course we have 'some' religious things based on IRL into LoTC, though I don't think we should have them or aid anything to them, especially something like this. 

Wasn't this posted ages ago and denied?

no, never posted it

I asked two friends of mine and they both shot it down cause "Mages can sense auras"

If I should post my honest opinion. I would say no to anything based off real life religious things as you have stated this being based on "wicca". Of course we have 'some' religious things based on IRL into LoTC, though I don't think we should have them or aid anything to them, especially something like this. 

Wait, so a good number of you folks believe religion is fiction and if it stood the test of time up to this point; wouldn't it be excellent fiction to have on the server? Im just saying!

Eh, OP is just taking something from real life and adapting it to LOTC. Quite commonplace really. Just because it's religious doesn't mean it shouldn't be allowed. We have exorcisms, masses, clergy, etc. why not this? Seems harmless to me and could be fun to RP, +1

In a scientific sense it is an electromagnetic field that surrounds all living beings in a layer. Much like wearing a big fluffy coat. It varies in sensitivity and size, depending on the spiritual strength of the person.

What science has made spiritual strength a variable? There are small magnetic fields on people that have been picked up on some magnetic scanner,(I forget the details of the experiment) but being more spiritual has absolutely no affect on it. That's someone taking science and mixing it with non-science to justify their non-science. Stop listening to those strange California medicine men who tell you that Cherokee hair tampons, drinking pee, and not getting your children vaccinated for anything is a good idea. 

However, this isn't real life and non-science can exist. I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Regarding your first point, the same could be said about literally any magic. There's not a single one that doesn't rely on the player not powergaming/abusing, so why is this any different?

As for your second point, if that's the case, why is said culture and religion not prohibited on the server and why is it allowed? Furthermore, since when was "It's too real" ever been a valid argument to say something doesn't fit on the server? Are we going to ban clothes and weapons on the server because they're too similar to what we have in reality too?

As for the first point, you've missed it entirely. I was suggesting to strictly red-line such an ability, as to not allow anyone to dance the line.

As for the second, you seem to be comming off from the defensive, and intend on cherry picking lol. As BNK mentioned, this "magic" is literally a belief that resides in our own, real world. This is a fantasy world, I was suggesting to make it seem as if it would fit in our world, instead of being something that so closely resembles our real-world things.

What science has made spiritual strength a variable? There are small fields on people that have been picked up on some magnetic scanner, but acting in more spiritual ways has absolutely no affect on it. That's someone taking science and mixing it with non-science to justify their non-science. Stop listening to those strange California medicine men who tell you that Cherokee hair tampons, drinking pee, and not getting your children vaccinated for anything is a good idea. 

However, this isn't real life and can belong in lotc. Other than that I've no real criticism other than I remember seeing something similar to this before.

I know this is off-topic, but you've broaden my horizons with mention of hair tampons!