[12/24]Lore Q&a [New! Addition]

501warhead

Basically a remake of the old thread to clean up old posts and make certain most information within is accurate and up to date.

Current LMs as of this time:

Cappy, Benboboy, 501warhead, Jistuma, Blundermore, SupremacyOps, Swordcoast95, Menarra/Dago, Everblue, Zarsies, and of course the glorious leader Rittsy/Alan.

Ask away!

ahem,

what planet is lotc set on? (assuming it's even set on a planet)

does space as we know it exist?

can/do other planets exist other than the one we are currently inhabiting exist? (again, assuming lotc is set on a planet)

Are all Aengudaemons equal in power? Some will obviously be more powerful in the mortal world due to mortal followers and agents, but is their any lore on their capabilities in the higher planes of existence or in the Void?

Follow on question: does the number of followers of an Aengul or Daemon effect its power? For example, say Tahariae has a thousand adherents in the world and Marysuea, patron of small marsh creatures called Fred, has none - is Tahariae more powerful because of his higher number of followers?

I ask these things because I'm writing a story involving the activities of Aengudaemons in the Void and other planes of existence and I want to make sure I'm at least partially lore accurate on their capabilities.

ahem,

what planet is lotc set on? (assuming it's even set on a planet)

does space as we know it exist?

can/do other planets exist other than the one we are currently inhabiting exist? (again, assuming lotc is set on a planet)

The celestial status of LotC's lore is one that is left something to a mystery - what is known is that there are several planes of existence that can house mortal kind. The first was Aegis which while large was never proven round, then the second plane of existence was The Verge/Asulon/Anthos. It was largely a sea world, travel was hard to do cross-continent, and land was few and far between. We transitioned eventually to this world now, which is somewhat of a mystery, in Thales & Athera. As far as space - I imagine there are places between planes that is what we might call 'space' - it is known as the void, and we draw magic from it.

What is the origin of ologs? I've been thinking about writing a origin myth about them but I'd like some facts first.

Are all Aengudaemons equal in power? Some will obviously be more powerful in the mortal world due to mortal followers and agents, but is their any lore on their capabilities in the higher planes of existence or in the Void?

Follow on question: does the number of followers of an Aengul or Daemon effect its power? For example, say Tahariae has a thousand adherents in the world and Marysuea, patron of small marsh creatures called Fred, has none - is Tahariae more powerful because of his higher number of followers?

I ask these things because I'm writing a story involving the activities of Aengudaemons in the Void and other planes of existence and I want to make sure I'm at least partially lore accurate on their capabilities.

1. For the most part Aenguls and Daemons are never measured in any form of measurement power-wise. They are compared to others of their race, but to compare a Aengudaemon to any mortal unit of measurement for magical capabilities is hard if not impossible. Aengudaemons are not equal in power either, with Arch-entities existing on either side and those who are more well known than others.

2. Yes... but you don't always have to 'worship' a aengul for it to draw power from a person, per say - sometimes even knowing they exist is enough, or sometimes by performing an action that one would not consider worship they are inadvertently doing so - such as burying the dead may be inadvertently worshiping some unknown aengul whose domain may be handling mortal husks into the afterlife or something (example, not actually real*)

Alright, I'll shoot in relation to LoTC's cosmology. 

Are there other planets? I know it's meant to be a mystery, but if the Void is a place which has energy drawn from it, is it even partway equatable to our space, or more akin, to, say, like, a giant freaking sky generator?

Beyond that.

What form of 'creator' is 'the creator'. Eru ilúvatar-esque? Are some of the events we see ingame, and some lore, direct reactions from his actions, does he meddle, or is he just the person who set things in motion?. Does LoTC's creator lore take an LoTR view? That is, varying levels of divine, ranging from folks who intervene and are only there to halt certain actions. Folks who are of a much greater power and deal in certain playing fields, a'la, Daemons/Aenguls. And then a big honcho? Or are all of these entities simply misrepresenting themselves to be of a far greater or lesser importance than their purported.

Another slightly big one.

Is the somewhat firm black/white morality accepted by the Clerical Order and other IC Religious institutions an actual 'thing' in the reality of LoTC's universe? Or, as I theorized above, do certain deities who abide certain principles simply misrepresent themselves?

The LT have said a fair few times that the creation lore for LoTC is wholly an RP creation myth, and so the existence of a Creator isn't canon in lore. 

Alright, I'll shoot in relation to LoTC's cosmology. 

Are there other planets? I know it's meant to be a mystery, but if the Void is a place which has energy drawn from it, is it even partway equatable to our space, or more akin, to, say, like, a giant freaking sky generator?

Beyond that.

What form of 'creator' is 'the creator'. Eru ilúvatar-esque? Are some of the events we see ingame, and some lore, direct reactions from his actions, does he meddle, or is he just the person who set things in motion?. Does LoTC's creator lore take an LoTR view? That is, varying levels of divine, ranging from folks who intervene and are only there to halt certain actions. Folks who are of a much greater power and deal in certain playing fields, a'la, Daemons/Aenguls. And then a big honcho? Or are all of these entities simply misrepresenting themselves to be of a far greater or lesser importance than their purported.

Another slightly big one.

Is the somewhat firm black/white morality accepted by the Clerical Order and other IC Religious institutions an actual 'thing' in the reality of LoTC's universe? Or, as I theorized above, do certain deities who abide certain principles simply misrepresent themselves?

1. Read above, answered a question about worlds and whatnot. Most likely separate planes rather than planets. As far as the void goes it is nothing, but everything. It's rather hard to explain why the void does what it does, another LM will have to address such.

2. The creator is a touchy entity that is... Seldom used. 

The LT have said a fair few times that the creation lore for LoTC is wholly an RP creation myth, and so the existence of a Creator isn't canon in lore. 

This is rather accurate. As far as it goes the creator is not some god-figure, merely an entity that seems to have spawned a rather strange universe. What it does now is unknown, where it is, if it's alive, etc. is completely unanswered and likely to remain that way.

3. Aenguls do not have to be good, and Daemons do not have to be evil. The reason most are presented that way is simple - Aenguls draw power from mortal faith and worship... how is an 'evil' aengul going to get a lot of people to worship it? Also keep in mind I use these terms rather loosely - there is no true 'evil' or 'good' divine, merely how they choose to approach situations with their best interest in mind. The opinions of mortals, however, do greatly matter to Aenguls so most will present themselves as 'holy, just, or divine' rather than vile and cruel.

With mechanical standard on lore, if a new kind of magic can be explained through the use of mechanics, does this mean that the magic can be role played without the need of lore approval from the Lore Team, or would lore still be required to be written up and then judged by the team?

On an equal note, if magic cannot be explained through the use of mechanics and lore is written, are there still chances that the lore can be accepted if written well and if fitting into current lore? 

Why does gold affect dark beings?

Does gold burn, or does it simply allow the item to affect them? As in, hitting say a dread knight with a normal sword wouldn't do much damage but a golden sword would do damage, because the gold allows it to hit. Or, does the gold sword simply touching him, burn?

How long can an Uruk live? Some say indefinitely, should they not die in battle, though they were not gifted with 'Long Living' as the children of Malin were. 

Do vikings exist? 

Can golems be mixed with ice made from magic to create interesting things?

Can a golem be created in the form of a wolf?
What is the difference between a creature and a race?
Can a uruk grow a beard?

Is there such thing as a female dwarf? Seriously, I haven't seen a singl one. If so, can they grow beards?