[Playable Creatures] Living Dolls

MamaBearJade

cf179b27b7d40330be052cb300d4b101.jpg

“Pa….pa…” a strange broken voice calls from the shadows. “Pa...pa...don’t l-leave me…”

Creaking is heard before a giggle begins to break the stillness. “Dolly wants to play!”

--------------------------------------------------

The date is 7th of Malin’s Welcome. My daughter has grown quite ill. Her life grows weaker and weaker. I am working diligently to find a way to save her. I have to save her. I have read notes on many things with healing, but nothing is working. A shady man told me of some dark magic, but I am afraid. What will this cost her, cost me? No. I must find a way.

20th of Malin’s welcome. Soul Puppetry. Soul puppetry is the answer. Dolls. She loves the doll that I gave her. I have to try. I have to learn this forbidden magic. I will make her well. I will not outlive my daughter.

1st of Sun’s Smile. I have learned enough of the basics to get the results I need. I must practice. Some of the orphans on the road have been helpful. I took in a young boy, Caleb. He will be the first. I found a suitable porcelain doll. I am sure this will work. After being a doctor for years, I know I can do this. First I must connect him. A drop of blood is taken and put on the doll. I focus. I try with all my might to focus his life-force into the doll. Maybe if I gave it more blood? No. The blood isn’t enough. I must dispose of the body.

17th of Sun’s smile. Six. Six children. They are starting to notice. They do not suspect me yet. I have to find out why this is not working. I have heard the elves speaking of a ritual with anti-magic. If I can at least learn this, I am sure it can help me.

12th of the Deep Cold. The elves guarded their secret well. But rumors still gave enough. I found there is a way to pull the soul from the body as it dies. If I can understand this process. I am sure I can bind a soul to the doll.

24th of the Deep Cold. Eight more children. But I think I have found a way! I was so close with little Emily. The doll spoke! No. It screamed! It screamed an unearthly screech. I destroyed the doll before it could alert people of my wrong doings. I am so close. Anna, you will be safe.

8th of the First Seed. Anna has gotten worse. She won’t make the end of this week.I have her on the platform. Her body is so tiny, so frail. That doll she clasps to. The porcelain doll. So much like her. She cries as I shackle her to the table. My heart breaks as I do this. Her pleas, I can not take them. I have stuffed her mouth full of cotton. Blood. I need her blood first. A cut is made on her bare stomach. A design. I paint a similar one on the doll binding them. The next part. I am shaking. Her tear filled eyes look at me, filling me with dread. I can’t look. I cover her nose and mouth, stopping the air, covering her eyes. Her weak body spasms. I focus on my seals. I do not let her dying struggles distract me. I can feel her life draining. Please work, please.

9th of the First Seed. I killed my daughter. This is the written confession of Alexi Yusef. Father of Anna Marie Yosef. I admit to the murder of fourteen children, names of which I no longer remember. That doll. That doll I created. It is not my Anna. It is not my child. It is a beast. I can not break it. If it is found, destroy it. It is no longer mine.

Alexi Yusef hung himself after perfecting the living dolls. His daughter’s body was found in her bed, smothered to death. The doll she had so prized no longer found. Or was it?

$T2eC16VHJG!FFmqCqgN)BSDbRc1,Bg~~60_35.J

Living dolls are just that, dolls that contain the soul of a someone who was recently killed. The ritual involved is quite complicated and left for only the most skilled and powerful soul puppeteers. But why create living dolls? Isnt there already lore for this? Yes and no. After talking to both an admin and a lore master, I was given permission to test this out in the fringe and create Anna Marie in doll form. They are very limited in what they can do, but also very unique in their own way.

Living dolls do not fully retain their memories. Depending on how they are killed during the ritual determines the type of doll they become. However, the death must be slow enough to allow the full transfer of the soul. This means stabbing said victim in the heart sends them to the monks, not the doll. There are six types of living dolls that can be created. The type of doll and the symbol drawn on the doll and carved on the victim also plays a factor. I will get into this later.

There are three factors to take into before making a living doll.

1) Age of the victim

2) Materials the doll is made of

3) The heart of the doll

Wait? Why does age matter? Well think of it in terms of your physical form. When you are a child you are weak, when you are teen and adult you are strong, and when you are an elder you are weak. The age matters as it can determine how much energy you have to use to make a doll. A child and an elderly person will be easiest to bind to a doll, yet those in their peak years would be a lot harder.

The materials and the size of the doll matter quite a bit as well. Large dolls are impossible to bind. They can actually cost the mage his life and have a 100% chance of failing even if he lives.The doll must be made of a hollow material to allow it some movement of the trapped soul. The hair must be that of the victim as well, further binding and trapping the soul. The outer material can be clay, porcelain, wood, or cloth. However, the sturdier the material, the longer the doll will last. Porcelain dolls last the longest at over two hundred years, followed by clay and wood which last fifty to one hundred years, cloth dolls deteriorate within ten years.

The heart of the doll is the true key to the doll. This is made of gems or gold. The gem has an effect on how well the soul is trapped. A mage gold heart would permanently affix the soul to that point where a crystal would be easily removed and the soul released. This is heart is the only way to restore a living doll if it has been destroyed. If the heart is destroyed, the doll is permanently destroyed.

52866886553d9.preview-620.jpg

The creation of a living doll comes if four parts.

The design of the doll must resemble the body the victim is. If the victim is an Kha, the ears and tail must be present. If it is an orc, tusks, and so on. If the victim is missing a limb or eye, the doll must as well to mimic the body. These features would be treated much like the body. If the soul rejects a body part, it will reject it on the doll as well.

After you have made a hairless doll, you must gather hair from the victim. This can be tricky as the hair needs to have the roots to attach to the doll itself. However the hair must be clean and untainted by blood. The hair can then be attached and glued in to prevent loss on the doll. With the hair, one must then get the gem for the heart. This is the key to making a living doll.

The heart can be any crystalline gem or made completely of mage gold. However it must be carefully carved and crafted into a heart like shape. This means knowing what a living heart looks like. This takes very careful craftsmanship and the ability to form crystals into shapes without cracking and damaging the crystal. Any cracks can render the heart useless. The heart is then placed inside the doll itself.

The ritual itself can cause a lot of drain on the creator. It takes a lot of power to pull a soul from one place to another, and then sealing it into the body itself. The ritual requires a symbol to be carved into the victim’s abdomen and then paints onto the face of the doll with the blood. After the victim must be slowly killed to allow for a full binding of the body. Once the last heart beat of the victim is done, the mage must be connect to the symbols in order to seal the soul completely into the doll and its heart.

oIROK2nAXj.jpg

The ways of death affect the mentality of the doll. There are six ways to kill the victim to create a living doll. The way death affects the Living Doll is more in the way they go about things rather than what they do.

To slowly bleed your victim out requires patience and skill. The mage may require knowledge of the body to know where to make the proper cuts to bleed the victim slowly (the slower the death of bleeding, the stronger the nature will be). Doing this also causes the doll to be similar. It will take on the patience of the creator. Learning to move with deliberate movements. It would be more willing to stop and listen then attack.

To deprive a victim of oxygen is a slow and agonizing death. This is a more personal effect and creates a very close bond between victim and creator. Whether this is good or bad depends on the symbol. The doll will become more erratic the further it is separated from its creator, becoming terrified of being alone. It is more willing to sit still and pretend to be a real doll than move around.

To slowly poison the body causes damage to the victim’s thought processes and deterioration of muscles, causing slower thoughts in the doll. The doll most times will be slow and would rather laze about than jump at its master’s call. It will do as it is told if given the right symbol, but it will be slower at completing the task. It will not benefit much intellectually either. However, dolls of this affliction also tend to have strong memories and their lazy nature can make them excellent spies when mimicking mundane dolls..

To electrocute your victim is a quick and vigorous death. The afflicted doll will be quick to act and even spastic at times, to a point where it may be difficult to control. If one is capable of keeping the doll in line, they will have a quick and efficient companion. Dolls under this affliction also tend to be creative, unpredictable in what they do and are usually eager to try new things ( for instance, will find more interesting ways of killing )

To freezing your victim is not only painful but cruel. It causes the body to slow down to a methodical pace before finally falling. It causes a deep loathing in the doll, hating almost everything in life. It will move slow much like one of poison affliction, but with purpose. It will think more on situations before reacting and can sometimes be contradictory to its symbol.

To burn your victim to death is an agonising and hateful method. dolls of this affliction are constantly angered, often without instigation or reason. They will be as destructive and hateful as possible in everything they do and will show no compassion to those they bring harm to, including their own master (unless their symbol would prevent them from doing so). Burn afflicted dolls tend to be impatient and can’t wait to release their fury, often doing so in their own way if their master should deprave them of an opportunity.

polls_dead_evil_dolly_with_pentagram_on_

There are six different symbols that can be used to bind the soul to the doll.

The Dog is a symbol of loyalty and guardianship. These dolls will be willing to die for their creator. They are loyal and close, keeping up a constant guard of their creator and rarely leaving their side. They will stay loyal to their personality but will never lash out against their creator unless they themselves are threatened or harmed.

The Monkey is much like a child that clings to its parent. Learning and mimicking much of its creator. It sees them more as a parent than a master and can wander from the master. It learns and grows creating a new entity of its own, but always believing that they are their creator’s child, nothing less.

The snake is very cunning and very defiant. It will be one that can wander off and do its own bidding. These dolls are rarely made due to the lack of control, but those who wish to create dolls that will wander, these dolls can be made.

The sheep are mindless, doing whatever their creator wishes without a second thought. While they still have minds of their own, they are unable to go against their master even when harmed. They are fully obedient regardless of their own thoughts.

The cat symbol creates a companion doll yet these will wander and still be independant. However they always will find their way home. Unlike the dog, they may willingly flee from danger even if their creator is harmed.

The fox symbol creates dolls that enjoy trickery and are far more lively than their other counterparts. These have nearly a full free will, able to think and act freely. Many times they stay loyal much like the dog, but often times they are a mix between a cat and a dog.

doll.jpg

How the symbols and the way of death mix.

The way of death for a doll decides it’s personality, for instance if they die via inferno then the doll will be more angry and destructive.

Whereas the symbol decides what actions the doll will take, for instance if the doll’s symbol is ‘The Dog’ then the doll will protect it’s creator at any cost.

In practise the way these two will mix is; the doll will strive to protect it’s creator, as is the nature of it’s symbol, though the doll will do this in a very angry and destructive way. If someone tries to attack the dolls creator while it’s around the doll might spring up and brutally murder the attacker.

Since there are many different possibilities in the combination of way of death and symbols, it is unlikely that two puppets will be alike. This means that creators may have multiple different puppets for multiple different things.

Pros:

- Living Dolls can easily mimic an unliving one, fooling those around it.

- Living Dolls are capable of murder, but keep in mind of red lines and symbols

- Living Dolls creates a new character that can do player made events for others.

- Living Doll creators can become doll hoarders!

- Living Dolls can surpass their original life spans, but only to the extent of the doll itself. A soul can never die.

Cons:

- Living Dolls are as weak as the materials they are made of. They can crack break and fall apart easily.

- Living Dolls can not exceed three feet (1 meter) in height

- Living Dolls can be freed from their hearts with Holy Magic or by their original creator

- Living Dolls do not fully remember who they are

- Living Dolls are bound by their symbol. Do not agree to the binding unless you agree to the symbol.

Red Lines

- Living Dolls can not learn magic

- It is impossible to create a full sized living doll on your own, you need at least 3 powerful soul puppeteers

- Living Dolls must have someone playing them

- You /must/ have OOC consent from the other player before turning them into a Living Doll

- Once you character becomes a Living Doll it can never be the same again, not even through Necromancy, it will either be a Doll or a Ghost.

- Creators and Victims /must/ OOCly agree on the symbol before the binding, this has to be fun for /both/ parties

- You have to know soul puppetry and be a high enough level to be able to make a living doll. This will be locked based on Soul Puppetry's lock

If you are going to comment negatively make it constructive in what you did and did not like. I have been wanting to do this lore for months and would like some constructive words on it. This is meant to create an event character. Yes it shares ties with arcane puppetry, soul puppetry, anti-magic, and contract magic. It has aspects from each of these to create something different and unique for the server. Thank you.

A special thanks to Gwonam_Blaze and Matthew199876312 for helping me write this lore.
Thanks to Jistuma and Urasept for allowing me to play this character back in Thales.
Thanks also to the creators of arcane puppetry, soul puppetry, anti-magic, and contract magic for creating a basis for this magic.

Enjoyed helping with this, very solid idea. Hope it goes through. :)

+1

OH LORD NO ... if these are accepted I will make it my life's mission to murder everyone of these.. I hate Dolls ... Nice lore. 

+1

NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. 

+1, solid lore.

NOPE.

NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. 

+1, solid lore.

NOPE.

Yes?

Ha. No. 2sp00ky4me.

Jk. Great lore, however I hope it doesn't become another creature left in the dark.

+1 I sincerely hope this gets used if it is accepted, LotC isn't very sp00ky for me, make it. Please :).

I rather like it, reminds me of an attic whisperer.

+1

Ha. No. 2sp00ky4me.

Jk. Great lore, however I hope it doesn't become another creature left in the dark.

+1 I sincerely hope this gets used if it is accepted, LotC isn't very sp00ky for me, make it. Please :).

It was actually quite fun to play a doll when i did the 10 day trial run. I think those I rp'd with enjoyed it too.

Oh god, not this again. XD I've seen ET do this before, creeped the **** out of me.

Regardless, +1

This lore seems solid enough and a new spooky element with the LoTC'ers.+1

Creepy... Just... Creepy... but still... Well written and this could be interesting to see in RP.

+1