Guide On Blacksmithing

Cjmate

Guide on Blacksmithing

t5r6nq.png

Forward:

I have not seen a single person roleplay blacksmithing proper since Lark Steelwall, and Nexus has spawned in dozens of ooc blacksmiths. In this guide, I hope to remedy this by encouraging proper roleplay of blacksmithing. Feel free to add to this guide, it is by no means the only way to blacksmith.

Necessary tools:

Hammer, tongs, anvil, barrel of water, wool, furnace, bellows, grindstone, vicegrip/pliers, and perhaps molds if you do jewelry. 

Step One: Forging

When forging an object, an ingot (Bar) should be heated in a forge and hammered. To do this, you will grip the ingot with a pair of tongs and hold it in the furnace. Ideally, you will have a partner to pump the bellows of the furnace. This will increase heat and allow the metal to become more malleable.

Once malleable, you may place the ingot on the anvil and shape it. Typically, you want to focus on sections at a time. If doing a sword, you may work on the lower six inches of the sword and move up. This process is heated many times, and you may heat the sword and let it cool. This will preserve the strength and integrity of the metal. 

After this step is done, the sword is shaped, but it is brittle.

Step Two: Annealing

Annealing is the process of softening a sword. This makes it soft and easy to work with. The sword should be heated and cooled. Do not simply dump it in water. This will harden the sword. After heating the sword, wrap it in insulation. Wool cloth is ideal. Let it sit for several hours, up to a day.

Step Three: Grinding

Now that the metal is soft, you can grind it. Place the metal on the grindstone and push the wheel. Usually you will have a wooden tap that will cause the stone wheel to spin. This is also the perfect time to make engravings on the sword if you are making an uncommon sword. 

Step Four: Hardening

Now is the classic blacksmith time. Heat the object to very high temperatures, then quickly dump it in water. This will help to harden the metal, but it will also make it more difficult to shape. this is why we did grinding and engraving before hardening. The metal will still be brittle after this step.

Step Five: Tempering

Like step four, you will continues to heat the metal and quench it in water. The difference here is that you will begin to decrease the heat as you quench the metal. This is what makes or breaks the sword, and this is the difference between poor quality and high quality metal. Knowing the precise temperature and being able to adjust the treatment of the sword gradually is the sign of a good blacksmith.

Step Six: Finalization

This is the final step. Here, you will add the details to whatever you made. In the case of jewelry, you make socket gems. In swords, you may add a hilt to the sword.

I think RP of professions is something for your plesure if you want to make more RP around professions may I suggest...

I think out of all the professions, making weapons and armour should be a lot more complex, with multiple parts and possible benefits depending on the quality of these. I think the interdepndability of professions can create RP, like for alchemists who have to draw their resources and training from others and someone who knows how to do the recipe after time and experimentation.

This will also create more value for professions, yes you may be a legendary blacksmith but that is only in skill, an only apprentice blacksmith may be able to make better armour than you through time and research.

Now there is the one problem, we are not all rich enough to put hours into experimenting with recipes like with enchanting and alchemy (admittedly this is a WIP) and what about the provider skills. Your farmers, breeders, miners and lumberjacks. These skills also have a way to be valued more, for they are the providers, their RP is in trade but the higher levels among these professions they get rare drops and caskets. This is the answer, these caskets are very rare but already offer aid for enchanting, general levelling and alchemy, what is stopping some of these drops being recipes(or in the case of your diamond gear part of a recipe).

If the forms were against letting these recipes on the forms to avoid OOC go around for new players who then because of probably not knowing anyone on the server has to RP to be taught a skill... RP FOR ALLL!

EDIT: Also that makes your character have more value and build more for their story be becuase if your a baker who is known for making a special kind of apple pie and all the people buy your pies etc, also could create cultural things like the dwarfs all eat salted meat...

There's no benefit to roleplaying this unless for their own enjoyment. Which is why it is so rare nowadays.

There's no benefit to roleplaying this unless for their own enjoyment. Which is why it is so rare nowadays.

People don't roleplay professions because it is difficult. It is far easier to just put it in a machine and pump out stuff. It isn't about enjoyment, it's about not understanding. If you understand something, you will enjoy it. 

Good guide, likely still won't be used by the majority of players (sadly), but overall I think that putting an emphasis on actually roleplaying the profession is important. Some professions seem easier to rp such as fishing and ..., others aren't such as farming, breeding, enchanting, most people tend to not rp the professions that would take too much effort sadly. Hopefully this thread can put some emphasis towards rping what can/would have massive effects on a character.

Personally, I find that I will only roleplay blacksmithing when I'm around others. If I'm alone, it's most likely because I'm grinding the skill and thusly doing something else during that waiting period.

A lot of Dwarves still RP blacksmithing in the sense that they RP it more than the general population. The only reason the Dwarven blacksmithing guild hasn't reformed is because everyone that can do it is lazy or too busy. Great guide though, hopefully this will encourage others to role-play their blacksmithing. 

I don't use any of the Nexus professions as I have used professions outside the system, requiring to be RPed.It has actually been interesting. I think we need to encourage the roleplay of everything profession. +1

I am glad someone has done something like this. I always like to see people who RP actual professions and such. +1

This is pretty cool man, good job. I'd also suggest adding pre-production stuff like the measuring process for certain orders, involves the customer a bit in your RP that way. Draws stuff out in a mutually engaging way because they're developing what exactly they want in the order and you're getting an idea of how to RP making the actual thing if they stick around.

This is a splendid guide!
A job well done, Cjmate!
It has been very helpful for me and I hope to see more people actually RPing as a blacksmith soon with a great guide. RPing your profession is a good site I'd love to see.
A pat on the back!

I think RP of professions is something for your plesure if you want to make more RP around professions may I suggest...

I think out of all the professions, making weapons and armour should be a lot more complex, with multiple parts and possible benefits depending on the quality of these. I think the interdepndability of professions can create RP, like for alchemists who have to draw their resources and training from others and someone who knows how to do the recipe after time and experimentation.

This will also create more value for professions, yes you may be a legendary blacksmith but that is only in skill, an only apprentice blacksmith may be able to make better armour than you through time and research.

Now there is the one problem, we are not all rich enough to put hours into experimenting with recipes like with enchanting and alchemy (admittedly this is a WIP) and what about the provider skills. Your farmers, breeders, miners and lumberjacks. These skills also have a way to be valued more, for they are the providers, their RP is in trade but the higher levels among these professions they get rare drops and caskets. This is the answer, these caskets are very rare but already offer aid for enchanting, general levelling and alchemy, what is stopping some of these drops being recipes(or in the case of your diamond gear part of a recipe).

If the forms were against letting these recipes on the forms to avoid OOC go around for new players who then because of probably not knowing anyone on the server has to RP to be taught a skill... RP FOR ALLL!

EDIT: Also that makes your character have more value and build more for their story be becuase if your a baker who is known for making a special kind of apple pie and all the people buy your pies etc, also could create cultural things like the dwarfs all eat salted meat...

Agreed +_=

But... this is a roleplay server. So why not R-O-L-E-P-L-A-Y while your waiting for stuff to craft.

edit: remove nexus -> boost RP

But... this is a roleplay server. So why not R-O-L-E-P-L-A-Y while your waiting for stuff to craft.

edit: remove nexus -> boost RP

While my swords mc craft, usually I rp craft a couple as well during the process. Gives you something to do while you wait, as well as increasing rp.