[Lore Proposal] The Origins Of Zombies

Jistuma

one_more_zombie_by_atomiccircus-d590twb.

(by AtomiccircuS, Deviantart.com)

Throughout the nights in Athera and in the dark spots of the realm, undead beings rise and fall with the coming of light. They do not come in groups, seeming to appear almost randomly, always in dark places as the light seems to harm them. They aren't part of any particular group, so where do they come from?

These creatures of the night have interesting origins. Their bodies are the bodies of those which die. Humans, orcs, dwarves, haflings, elves and khas. The bodies are decomposed or completely rotten off leaving only the skeletons. As everyone in Athera knows, the monks try and save as many mortals as they can from death, and they may do this without using the body pf the deceaced. That explains where all the zombies and skeletons come from, but what creates them?

When a person is revived, the powers of the Triumvirate work on the soul. How it does it and in what way is not understood. Yet the Triumvirate pays a price for the reviving. The creation of a new almost perfect body for the soul, and redirecting the soul to the temple causes a sort of paradox in the realm. A man has died, yet he is still living. This in turn causes the dead body of the revived to re-gain life as well, yet with a dead body and without a soul. This in turn makes them rather brainless, but also a bit dangerous, as they attack living being without reason. Most of these zombies appear with only clothes, without armor, as armor is something valuable that is normally stolen, yet there are the exceptions around, the zombies which still walk with armor, and sometimes weapons.

Only the bodies of those revived by the monks have their old body turn into one of these creatures, it is a price the Triumvirate is willing to pay to keep the people of the mortal realm alive. Once a mortal permanently dies, it's body behaves like a normal dead body, it stays unmoving, decaying and dead. The reason why no mortal ever sees himself as a zombie, is simply because the zombie becomes far too decayed and changed that not even the former owner of the body recognises it. The body could as well takes weeks to years to gain it's undead life, which means it's decaying stage could be quite advanced, and the people might not even notice that bodies are missing from graveyards... On the other hand if all bodies went to graveyards, the realm of Athera would not have space for towns.

tl;dr

• Monks reviving people makes their former bodies into zombies.

tl;dr from an IC point of view

• Dead bodies turn to zombies, it can take weeks, months or years.
  • The body of a zombie is too destroyed to tell who it was before death.
  • No one knows why they appear.

I thought it was just dead given animation by ibleese.

Iblees hasn't done that since Aegis.

Are you people forgetting that Iblees was locked somewhere for all of Asulon, Anthos and quite a lot of Athera? And even now we have no idea where he is, or what he's doing, and the Undead are gone, so ye...

Either way, I wrote this for fun, like most lores I do.

I like it honestly, it makes sense.

People dying on lotc are not a rarity and neither are zombies.

>thinks 4 relatively short paragraphs entails a "tl;dr".

I like this concept. I imagine zombies actually being there in role-play but the denizens of our realm have gotten so used to zombies, spiders, and skeletons that rising mid conversation, drawing a weapon, and slaughtering them before returning without a word is the norm. 

Are you people forgetting that Iblees was locked somewhere for all of Asulon, Anthos and quite a lot of Athera? And even now we have no idea where he is, or what he's doing, and the Undead are gone, so ye...

Either way, I wrote this for fun, like most lores I do.

I still don't know who locked him and why he is not destroyed already.

why does angren still look like **** then?

everyones sleepin on the REAL question here forget the zombies theyre insignificant 

I like the idea and find nothing wrong with it, but having the monks as something other than a 100% neutral party doesn't sit well with me. With this lore the monks are literally creating undead corpses that try to feast upon the living, which would obviously breed people who wished to stop this, but cannot act out their entirely valid roleplay pursuits because of an OOC barrier. Essentially, it makes everyone stick their hands in their pockets and ignore the pseudo-necromantic activity, creating an elephant-in-the-room situation.

My personal theory has been that during the First Iblees Invasion (Pre-Aegis, when curses were first bestowed) the Daemon was in his greatest strength, and his taint so powerful that it bled into the ground and remained even after his capture. Centuries later, the thousands upon thousands of buried dead between then and now have been slowly re-awakening from this long-term exposure to the remnants of this taint.

If nothing else, I don't think this is lore that really needs to be clarified. We've coped with zombies since 2011 without lore for them, going only by speculation. Not everything needs a straight-forward answer, part of the magic of mystery would be lost then.

Pretty cool idea which would leave to 'drop dead' ((<-- trying too hard)) RP

I don't think is something we would ever discover in RP though. I kind of like the mystery to it. This lore is interesting but I don't think we really need to know OOCly if we wouldn't know RPly. It may lead to metagaming.