[Lore Proposal] The Origins Of Zombies

Jistuma

You creep me more out than I do to others, but it makes sense and it's simple.

This is awesome! I really like how it explains it instead of "oh they just kinda spawn where it's dark hurdurr"

Plus I mean hey I won't lie, one of my characters HAS wondered what happens to the body of the deceased after their soul is taken to the Temple for revival. It would be silly for one to not wonder, I mean most of the time, unless a burial is given, the bodies are often left to rot in the open. 

This should definitely be added as a mysterious explanation, even if many people won't find out in RP about it. +1

I like the idea and find nothing wrong with it, but having the monks as something other than a 100% neutral party doesn't sit well with me. With this lore the monks are literally creating undead corpses that try to feast upon the living, which would obviously breed people who wished to stop this, but cannot act out their entirely valid roleplay pursuits because of an OOC barrier. Essentially, it makes everyone stick their hands in their pockets and ignore the pseudo-necromantic activity, creating an elephant-in-the-room situation.

Well, no one would ever know it's the monks doing it, I mean, it's happened for so long... could be that even the monks do not know what they would be doing.

My personal theory has been that during the First Iblees Invasion (Pre-Aegis, when curses were first bestowed) the Daemon was in his greatest strength, and his taint so powerful that it bled into the ground and remained even after his capture. Centuries later, the thousands upon thousands of buried dead between then and now have been slowly re-awakening from this long-term exposure to the remnants of this taint.

There are a few problems with that, as example is the fact that Iblees had no powers, none whatsoever in the lands of Asulon and Anthos, and the middle realms.

If nothing else, I don't think this is lore that really needs to be clarified. We've coped with zombies since 2011 without lore for them, going only by speculation. Not everything needs a straight-forward answer, part of the magic of mystery would be lost then.

This is true, it doesn't need a real answer, but that doesn't mean it's not nice to have one. Of course this lore would not stop undead zombies, necromancer zombies, blood mages creations, etc etc. It would just be the explanation for the normal spawning zombies and skels, which has been bugging me since Asulon. Zombies and Skels had lore in Aegis, they were the creation of Iblees powers, but after that... ye... they became loreless and just weird in the game. At least this would explain their existence.

I don't think is something we would ever discover in RP though. I kind of like the mystery to it. This lore is interesting but I don't think we really need to know OOCly if we wouldn't know RPly. It may lead to metagaming.

It might lead to events as well. I wouldn't ever agree that anyone could discover that it was the monks doing the zombie creation, I mean, how would you know? Not even the monks would. Yet, it might create events and happenings where this lore is used, such as zombies coming out of graveyards, a corpse left someone becoming a zombie one day, maybe a culture could start burning all the death to not have the zombies show up, maybe a graveyard of a mass grave could be deem unsafe area, etc etc.

Could be found out in RP through walking dead style resurrections.

It would take far longer than a few minutes for them to become zombies (I don't know if you mean it like that though), more of weeks, months or years.

Wait so a simple way to stop this is to stop reviving. No more zombonies... or at least a lot less of them. 

Yes, that would work... If you want to trade not having zombies with being revived.

Reminds me of an old piece of lore I posted that detailed the creation of soulless creatures, or husks. By this logic of soullessness, would the attempt to revive one without their soul be possible? The soul is just a soul after all, and so far it's been defined as what keeps things registered and remembered within an individual. A soulless being, therefore, could be revived and kept alive as a caged, crazed animal, correct?

I would think such a feat would require a sum of understanding in physiology or necromancy before any chance of success would come across as viable.

This could include the Ghouls controlled by Necromancers I suppose, but it's not thoroughly addressed. Perhaps there should be a clarification on if Ghouls are the same or different to the undead described here.

Keep it with Iblees and nothing to do with the monks. I would say if the monks had to pay a price for reviving souls would you not think after all this time they would have found a way to fix this problem? Keeping zombies and other creatures as Iblees' thing is a better way.

Also saying Iblees was locked away in the Nether and could hold onto nothing is stupid, who is to say he actually foresaw that one day he would be held back? Maybe he setup some type of organism or magical machine that spreads throughout all worlds to do his dirty work while he was incapacitated, thus creating these creatures?

Welp... time to recommence post mortem brain experiments.

Added a tl;dr from an IC point of view, it just says what characters could know about zombies. Pretty much zombies are dead bodies, they can take a long time to become a zombie, the zombies are too destroyed to figure out who it was before, and ye... no one IC would ever know it was the monks doing it, probably not even the monks would know.

Adding this here because I'm bored:

Ideas for roleplay scenarios that can be had from this lore:

• Graves opened from the inside.
  • Events where lost named, or special items can return to the players by death of a zombie.
  • Religion or practice of burning the dead because they might turn to zombies.
  • Investigations on the creation of zombies.
  • Gathering of a whole lot of bodies and letting them turn into zombies then releasing them inside a town, because evil mad man with a graveyard number of corpses in his basement in the middle of Petrus.

Added a tl;dr from an IC point of view, it just says what characters could know about zombies. Pretty much zombies are dead bodies, they can take a long time to become a zombie, the zombies are too destroyed to figure out who it was before, and ye... no one IC would ever know it was the monks doing it, probably not even the monks would know.

Adding this here because I'm bored:

Ideas for roleplay scenarios that can be had from this lore:

• Graves opened from the inside.
  • Events where lost named, or special items can return to the players by death of a zombie.
  • Religion or practice of burning the dead because they might turn to zombies.
  • Investigations on the creation of zombies.
  • Gathering of a whole lot of bodies and letting them turn into zombies then releasing them inside a town, because evil mad man with a graveyard number of corpses in his basement in the middle of Petrus.

I love it. People seem to look at what the loer is more than what it can do and become it seems :P

This lore has been Accepted!

I swear this went through a vote. Either way, knowing that the zombies come from monk magic is metagaming, there isn't a way to tell.

As someone fully ingrained in monk lore for ages, I'm glad for this addition. It makes perfect sense to me.