[Lore] The Monolith Of Mir'dlog

Goldrim

Preface

An Ogre of large stature is seen emerging from a mud-hut on an island behind the Orcish mainland. He scouts the horizon with a grunt in search of any animals. With a weary sigh he whips out a jabbernak leg from his simple hut, it appears to be rotten, but edible.

He takes a crunching bite, spraying white webs of fat all over the place. The leg half-gone, meat and bone alike, he immediately pursed his lips for another bite, a proven means to elicit taste. Not soon after he finished the ‘delicacy’ his tummy would rumble once again, he had no other choice but to go search for some delicious berries.

He soon got lost on the rather small island, his lower lip quivering in fear of the oncoming dark. While searching back for his hut he stubbed his knee against a average sized, oddly shaped monolith. In pain he rolls over on his side and releases a groan that would shake the very foundation of Athera.. or not.

In the midst of his childlike tantrum a soothing hum emanates from the mysterious monolith. His whining quickly came to a stop, his mind tingling. The world around him suddenly became that more colorful and intricate.

He quickly rose to his feet, with a silken voice and a determined look in his eyes he uttered a chant. If you'd listen closely; “Age of Ogre am upon us..“

The Monolith of Mir’dlog

The Monolith is a mystical tablet that emits magical energy. Only ogres, however, are susceptible to this energy. When an ogre comes within the tablet's radius its senses are heightened and its brain capacity will greatly increase. The ogre will be able to think faster and logically superior to perhaps even other species.

An ogre’s brain acts as a charger. If an ogre spends ample time within the tablet’s vicinity some of the magical essence is stored within the ogre. After leaving the tablet's circle of influence the effect persists for a mediocre amount of time after which it eventually wears off, returning the ogre to its previous feeble minded state.

Final thoughts.

I made this to add some flavor to the Ogre sub-race, this idea has an obvious benefit and drawback, which could lead to some very interesting RP scenarios. I may expand upon the Monolith at a later point in time, but it all depends on how Ogres and other participants will act on it in roleplay.

Happy roleplaying peeps.

Very neat idea. Howrver, the reasoning behind it is all that I find lacking. Could it be justified that a spirit powers the Monolith?

Very neat idea. Howrver, the reasoning behind it is all that I find lacking. Could it be justified that a spirit powers the Monolith?

Thanks, although I don't want to tie it in with Shamanism. For now I like it's origins to be unknown and for theories to pop up through roleplay, knowing where it's from and what power it holds kind of ruins the surprise. I hope that I can keep it just an ancient artifact for now, any further discoveries regarding the Monolith will be documented for the Lore Team to review.

I love the idea, as we talked about it and reading it now, as for the origins (as Goldrim said) all is a mystery to stay a mystery in role play. Unless of course, something occurs for someone to be able to study it long enough but until then, best to remain a mystery! 

I do look forward to working with you Goldrim.

Doesn't this kind of defeat the weakness of being an ogre/olog? 

I'm not seeing this getting accepted... The thing of Ologs is that they are huge and incredibly stupid. That's about it, it's the drawback of being a super tank, is that they can't think right. This lore gives the removal of the drawback, and gives no other weaknesses or reasons for it to happen. You state that there's a clear drawback, but I just don't see it. It's a magical stone that makes stupid characters smart.

I'm not exactly sure what this aims to achieve..

As Jistuma said above, the drawback for olog/ogre's is their complete and utter lack of intelligence and in turn they receive massive amounts of strength in comparison. Allowing for an artifact with very little description to just somehow grant super-intelligence confuses me.

I could possibly see why from an OOC perspective why this may be liked, for it's not exactly common for RP to be centered around the strength of the ogre's and pvp default will be called. However many player groups have the same issue, but I'm still unsure if this really should be accepted on that basis.

You don't seem to understand. The Monolith is stationary and has a very limited radius, it's not like they're going to go on a bloody rampage and take over Athera. They will most likely keep to their island and let others come to them, at least that's what I initially anticipated to happen.

Currently Ogres are nothing, when you RP a stupid character there's barely any depth to it, this gives people an incentive to make an Olog / Ogre and actively play one. People argue they can't become Shamans, they can't become anything, they're there to just stand in a corner and be stupid, which is not fun at all.

It's very simple, if you want to keep the Ogre player base as is, which is pretty much non existent, you deny this lore. If you want to add some depth to a dead sub-race so people may enjoy playing them, you accept it.

The choice is yours.

I think that Ologs should be more of a rarity, don't need as many Ologs as actual Uruks, but that's my opinion 

I'm not seeing this getting accepted... The thing of Ologs is that they are huge and incredibly stupid. That's about it, it's the drawback of being a super tank, is that they can't think right. This lore gives the removal of the drawback, and gives no other weaknesses or reasons for it to happen. You state that there's a clear drawback, but I just don't see it. It's a magical stone that makes stupid characters smart.

can you show me why taller = dumber in clear examples? Please. Explain me how a bigger anatomy does not actually improve cerebral agility and neuronal intermissions.

I feel as if some people think that if this lore is accepted, all Ologs magically become smarter which isn't the case. It's an area of affect, something that I find quite interesting and was quite easily convinced through the conversation with Goldrim regarding the potential events this can give. 

can you show me why taller = dumber in clear examples? Please. Explain me how a bigger anatomy does not actually improve cerebral agility and neuronal intermissions.

1. They aren't taller, they are bigger. They are not only taller, but as well fatter and with more muscle.

2. I have no idea why you would ever think bigger things have improved cerebral agility... You're thinking bigger brain, not bigger body.

3. The dummer part was the drawback for being HUGE. If you don't know, they can be 12 ft tall tanks.

4. Since no one rp'es the disavantages of being huge, they are then going to have to rp being dumb.

Hope that helps you understand, I'll try to find the original lore post about them.

Unfortunately this lore has been  [Denied].

As I do with others, first I'll state my personal opinion followed by the opinions of the others.

Olog's are not smart, that is the raw truth. In playing an Olog you sacrifice your intelligence for strength due to them being approved as such. I understand your reasoning behind this however do not agree, you wish for Olog RP to be more meaningful and less 'LET'S SHOUT MY NAME FIVE TIMES' yet if you want that you can just go ahead and play an orc, the option is there. I've personally had fantastic RP with Olog's, it may not be serious and deep yet it's bloody hilarious and never fails to entertain. Along with that I'm not a fan of how vague this artifact is, I understand that you wanted it to be uncovered through RP and that is a possibility yet to be accepted a more in depth 'ooc' explanation would be required.

In reference to the other LM's views it's very similar to that of my own. They believe Olog's should be restricted to limited intelligence like they've been for exceeding long amounts of time. Another concern brought up is why does it only affect a single sub-race, not even the race a whole? It destroys the key drawback behind playing an Olog despite it's limited radius. 

Thanks for submitting, any further questions can be sent in the form of a PM to myself or another LM.

- Pandan & the LM's.