[Playable Race] [Wip] Lycanthropy

Kalehart

+1, but only if they are super rare, like dread knight level rare

That's the idea, yeah. And even those that exist would be less obvious than a dread knight.

I don't want another thing added to LotC that people can FTB with.

Joke's on you, they're big furry ken dolls.

... surprisingly I'm supporting this. I think you broke it down very well and I personally would like to see this added to LoTC. Good on you.

Kharajyr was its own race- they needed players or it was pointless. This isn't dependent on that- It's sort of like necromancers, shades, frost witches, ascended, that sort of deal. A focus on quality over quantity, I guess.

kharajyr are still alive. you speak of them like they're dead. But, I do still +1 this!

I often get irrate when things get keyed due to being "unoriginal."  The basis of LOTC is unoriginal, the beginning races and all that jazz. It's just a starting spot. It's the RP that comes out of it that matters. Would lycans provide a totally new idea? No, but what it could do is provide a type of RP that is new to us which in turn creates new experiences for members of the community and if the people RPing lycans are doing it well then it shouldn't be about where the original story of the lycans came from but the fun the players are having together because of it. 

Sorry for the rant but I will be mighty dissapointed if the LMs deny it due to it's lack of originality. Byrophites were accepted but they aren't original. Check Guild Wars 2. Kharajyr? Try Khajiit. Again, my support goes to anyone who actually puts effort into trying to get things accepted that are genuinely to create new, exciting RP and I think you are. So best of luck to you!

^

Well written actually. I'd recommend keeping it Dreadknight levels rare...as has been said. Besides, I'm quite happy for Lycans to exist. More stuff to purge. >: D

Awesome to see so much support for the idea.

I added a section called 'Consistency of Nature' to the Ext. Transformation section, covering briefly the relation between a person's traits and their lycanthropian form. I also made a few misc. changes to the post over all, and added the next section regarding the 'Taming of the Beast' which is yet incomplete.

It's not as poorly written as other werewolf lore. I am open to this being accepted, but I am not a fan of werewolves being any level of common. I want to see one maybe every month. 

Okay, so you've suggested that druids would be able to exert some influence over these creatures and you've said that their curse is related to druidic shapeshifting in some way.

So I have some questions which will help you further flesh out this druid connection:

Can druids be infected?
If yes, does their own connection to nature affect the curse?

If no, what would happen if we tried to attune a lycan? Would it fail, or something else?

If druids can be lycans, what effect would that have on actual druid shapeshifting?

This is cool, well written, +1.

I just hope that if this is implemented we don’t have LotC run loose with them.

I seem to hear a lot about worry of them being common- probably because of the way its written.

Rest assured that I don't intend for these creatures to be anything resembling common; maybe 10 alive on the server at maximum. Furthermore, those that did exist would be much less obvious than say a dread knight or shade- more akin to a frost witch I imagine.

As far as attuning a lycan, I like the idea that the aspects might reject them for one reason or another. Not necessarily out of spite, mind you.

I imagine a druid could be infected, but would lose their natural connection as a result. They would be at low risk anyway, though, since they can manipulate lycans as such.

EDIT: I've done some small edits over-all and updated the OOC section.

My feedback whenever lycans or vampires come up is always the same: Why a werewolf? You can achieve the exact same thing without adhering to real life folklore. What I am saying is take the principles of the lycan tales and apply them in a unique and LotC flavoured way.

What this achieves is players do not automatically bring in their OOC assumptions about it. As in if you were to have a lycan, regardless of what lore about them is approved, players who interact with one will use their previous understandings to try and deal with them. Whereas if you took the principles of it and applied it in a different way, like perhaps a jabbernack rather than wolf. A ferocious humanoid lizard beast wandering around is not going to face the same OOC troubles as the preconceived ideas of lycanthropy.

Personally I am not a fan of lizardmen compared to werewolves, but it serves as my example.

I would be interested in assisting you with this project, as I previously discontinued my non-disclosed variation of the Lycan trope. I'd like to give a few base suggestions, though.

Do not involve direct dietorial origin. There is already an excess of creatures aligned with the sky, and not with the ground, if you catch my drift. There are ala lot of opportunities for an immersive, inter-connected origin story that ties in with already established intricacies of the mortal realms - lifeforce, mana, blood (probably not this because Bloodborne took it), etc.

I agree with Elindor on spicing up the actual concept of Lycanthropy with original ideas. I'm not too sure on lizard people, but what I would support is an emphasis on the curse being an actual curse - the final stages of transformation are varied, and the beastly forms of the victims are different, yet similar. A tie to wolf-like features with the addition of monstrous features (horns, tusks, excess hair, so forth) could keep things original. I think the main idea should thay victims turn into beast men, and not wolf men. Wolves are just easier to relate to the overarching idea of a "beast".

More races are bad, this is just the dog version of that cat people we have on the server. Which in turn was copied from skyrim

My feedback whenever lycans or vampires come up is always the same: Why a werewolf? You can achieve the exact same thing without adhering to real life folklore. What I am saying is take the principles of the lycan tales and apply them in a unique and LotC flavoured way.

What this achieves is players do not automatically bring in their OOC assumptions about it. As in if you were to have a lycan, regardless of what lore about them is approved, players who interact with one will use their previous understandings to try and deal with them. Whereas if you took the principles of it and applied it in a different way, like perhaps a jabbernack rather than wolf. A ferocious humanoid lizard beast wandering around is not going to face the same OOC troubles as the preconceived ideas of lycanthropy.

Personally I am not a fan of lizardmen compared to werewolves, but it serves as my example.

I hadn't viewed it that way, but you're absolutely right. Given the following response as well, I think I'll be taking your advice into action.

Thanks, elindor!

I would be interested in assisting you with this project, as I previously discontinued my non-disclosed variation of the Lycan trope. I'd like to give a few base suggestions, though.

Do not involve direct dietorial origin. There is already an excess of creatures aligned with the sky, and not with the ground, if you catch my drift. There are ala lot of opportunities for an immersive, inter-connected origin story that ties in with already established intricacies of the mortal realms - lifeforce, mana, blood (probably not this because Bloodborne took it), etc.

I agree with Elindor on spicing up the actual concept of Lycanthropy with original ideas. I'm not too sure on lizard people, but what I would support is an emphasis on the curse being an actual curse - the final stages of transformation are varied, and the beastly forms of the victims are different, yet similar. A tie to wolf-like features with the addition of monstrous features (horns, tusks, excess hair, so forth) could keep things original. I think the main idea should thay victims turn into beast men, and not wolf men. Wolves are just easier to relate to the overarching idea of a "beast".

I'd adore having you on-board with the lore, Swgr. I'll talk to you in private mein freund!

More races are bad, this is just the dog version of that cat people we have on the server. Which in turn was copied from skyrim

It's not a race of its own, per-say. At least not in the realm of kha. Think frost-witches, liches, dreadknights, bryophites, golems, dryads... That sort of deal.

It might have helped if you actually read the lore...

So you're basicly saying,

"Hey Worgens sound like a good idea!"