(Creature Lore) Antrum Ales

FlareGunCalamity

Hi! Im actually quite nervous about posting this, as it is my first lore submission in two years of playing LOTC. This creature is based on an accepted special character, and is a very, very, toned down version of them. I hope you enjoy the read, and feel free to write your feedback (i'm going to need it if i want to improve)!

Antrum Ales

(Feathered Cave People)

(singular)

Summary:

An Antrum Ales is a small, Pale humanoid that has evolved to live in the cave systems of Athera. Their average height would be around 4'5" to 5'0", with females being the same height as males. They have large eyes that have very small irises. Their pupils are immensely large, due to them living in almost complete darkness, and their eyes are incredibly susceptible to blinding due to light. They have a layer of soft, white feathers on their torsos, legs, arms, and faces due to it being incredibly cold in deep caves. They are small, but very fast.

They have the same reproductive system. They're less fertile than humans, and rarely mate more than once in their life. Most Antrum Ales people are born with no siblings.

Eyesight:

The Antrum Ales people do not have largely visible Irises. This is because their pupils are large and take up most of the space on their eye.  The iris is small due to their need to pick up dismal levels of light from bioluminescant creatures. Their sensitivity to light causes them to be easily blinded, so they would be unable to walk around during the day without a blindfold, or heavy veil, and moonlight would still be fairly painful for them. However, their sight in darkness is impeccable, being able to pick up motions and images that a normal human would not due to being used to light.

In fact, in the deepest caves, They would probably rely on an equal balance of sight AND sound, as cave vision can only go so far. They are good listeners, but not exceptionally better than humans. Unlike bats, they do use their eyes to see their surroundings (Basically, they use their ears more than humans, and their eyes slightly more. Their senses are at a balance; neither is better than the other).

Feathers:

Because of the lack of light, the cave systems the Antrum Ales people live in are very cold. Because of this, they have soft feathers coating most of their body. They still have hair on their heads, eyes, and eyebrows, but their cheeks, chests/torsos, legs, and arms are wrapped in a layer of soft feathers, similar to the kind used in making pillows. longer feathers act as buffers over their ears, and long rectrices on their backside resembling a tail.  The skin underneath their feathers is weak and pale, and easy to burn with sun, and even moonlight. They are also very prone to overheating. If you were to see one outside of a cave, it would most likely wear cloaks to protect its skin, and blindfolds or veils to protect its eyes.

Their Skin is as easily pierced as a human's, but they are easily to kill in combat due to the aforementioned weaknessess.

Other attributes:

Similar to birds or cats, the nails of the Antrum Ales people grow sharp and thin, like claws. despite their seemingly small and fragile nature, they are rather quick and agile, being able to run at an average of 10MPH faster than a normal human, at full speed, for moderate distances (Anywhere between the average city block and the average suburban block). Even though their general evolution mostly banishes them to caves, they are not unsocial, and prefer to be in groups (of even other races) than alone. They have sharp teeth, due to being mostly carnivorous, and pointed-tipped tongues. They are very loud, but breathe less often than a human.

(that adds to a top speed of 40MPH, so don't worry.)

What they eat:

Due to plants being scarce in caves, an Antrum Ales is mostly if not entirely carnivorous, eating shrimp, cave animals, and birds that nest in upper caves. They can digest human vegetables such as carrots and potatoes, but eating too much will upset their digestive system as they are adapted to eat meats. If living among other races, they could also eat poultry and fish. Pork and Beef would be wise for them to eat in moderation.

Weaknesses:

-Easily sunburnt 

-Easily blinded

-smaller than the average human

-Lifespan is shorter when subjected to a lot of light

-easy to kill

Strengths:

-Impeccable vision in dark spaces

-very fast

-agile

-work in groups

-Moderate to good stamina

Language:

An Antrum Ales would communicate in semi-fluent or broken english, and would have trouble pronouncing S, F, and TH noises due to their sharp teeth. In groups, they may communicate in any number of languages, as long as they have already learned them. Like other races, what language they speak generally revolves around what region they're from, as they do not have one set, species-wide language.

Life Span:

An Antrum Ales will live on average 30 years longer than a human, but living above the surface, they will probably have a much shorter life-span than a human due to the light of the sun and moon damaging their skin.  The expected Life Span of an Antrum Ales is 110-130 years old, with females living longer due to estrogen, like human females. However, they die in child birth just as often.

Roleplay:

A group of Antrum Ales people, when living under ground, would be best if kept under 20 players. If accepted, Players should apply to play the race. 

They have the same level of magical capabilities as a human, as they are largely similar.

They are easily killed in combat, so avoid power-gaming under the guise of their heightened speed and agility.

If you role-play an Antrum Ales going to the surface during day, with no protective cloth over their eyes, THEY ARE BLIND. WHICH IS REALLY BAD CONSIDERING HOW MUCH THEY NEED THEIR EYESIGHT. DONT DO IT.

They don't have any other Inhuman abilities (they cannot fly, or manipulate nature in any way, shape, or form) than their heightened speed and cave vision.

They are just as social As humans, if not slightly less.

It is acceptable for humans to be racist or cruel towards them.

They sleep at night, or when tired, and have a human reproduction system (as previously mentioned).

They don't really live in tribes, or like animals, but how a settlement of Antrum Ales people is set up is generally dictated by the people in the settlement. Their ideal settlement would be in a mid to deep cave system. they could hypothetically live in keeps.

Put clothes on them, feathers doesn't mean No-sexual-organs.

Unless they were raised around people, it's reasonable to assume they won't have a good understanding of their culture.

They act like humans in social settings, if not more timid as the average Antrum Ales is not raised around people. They can be, but they USUALLY ARENT. Keep in mind that they live in darkness.

You should skin them wearing lighter clothes, as white clothes deflect more light than they absorb, which is important to a creature that can overheat easily. Think "many thin white layers", like an onion.

Comparison with humans:

-Like humans, Antrum Ales are Social creatures, and will mingle with other races.

-Unlike humans, They are weak to high levels of light like daylight, and can be blinded by the moon the same way we can be blinded by the sun.

-Like humans, Antrum Ales will speak in different dialects or even languages depending on the region.

-Unlike humans, they are easy to kill above the surface due to their weaknesses caused by light, their smallness physically, and impaired vision, as well as possibly being overwhelmed by noises.

-Like humans, Antrum Ales can run out of stamina, die in child birth, or generally get other ailments.

-Unlike humans, they grow feathers on their bodies.

Recap:

-They are small.

-they grow feathers AND hair.

-Their pupils are HUGE.

-they are easily damaged by daylight, and will go blind without eye protection during the day.

-They usually live in caves, with groups of their own species.

-They can live outside of caves, but they must take extra precautions so as to not be killed by sunlight.

-they are mostly carnivorous, and have trouble stomaching foods other than shellfish, fish, or poultry/birds.

-They have trouble pronouncing "S", "F", and "TH" ("Dey would talk like diz.")

-They reproduce normally, but once per life on average.

-they wear clothes.

-They're fast and Agile.

-They have good stamina.

-They're easy to kill.

-They. Cant. Fly.

Personality:

They're about as varying as a human, albeit less violent, as they are easy to kill and do not like to stir up violence. They would be afraid of extreme light, like the sun and the moon. The average Antrum Ales would object to going to the surface for those reasons, but would not object to socializing with other races. Men would hunt more than women, and Women would tend for young more than men.

Appearance:

The average Antrum Ales would be small, at around 4'7" tall. They would have varying lengths of soft, ivory colored hair, and pale skin coated in feathers. They have varying body types, like humans. Their pupils are large, and their irises are very small, almost rings around their pupils. Their irises are usually pale blues or even reds. Their feathers would generally be white, but males may have colorfully tipped feathers, or stripes. Women are less likely to have colored accents. Their claws are nail-colors. Other than that, they are mostly human.

Character creation requirements:

-Would have to apply

-after the first 5 or so, an applicant would have to contact already existing characters to join their groups or be their children.

-There will probably be a cap of 30 at a time, depending out how the group dynamic works out.

-of course, you must read the lore.

-It would not be wise to apply if you have been playing on LOTC for less than 2 months or so.

An application would look like this:

Minecraft Name:

Character name:

Personality:

Group to join:

Example Skins:

(i only have time to make a female skin. Here's cave attire, without clothes ((to show placement of the feathers)), and with a cloak ((don't forget they also wear veils or blindfolds in daylight))!)

PI9Syjo.png

ecx2XVt.png

8Zs3k5O.png

CC6yjE6.png

bHlsXyx.png

nbxhXIz.png

(Yeah, the hair should be paler, but i wanted to provide a contrast between the feathers and the skin so that you could actually see the difference. normally, the hair should be closer to a milky grey color.)

I know that adding more creatures is a Faux Pas, as there are already many races that detract from the general Light Fantasy theme. However, i personally believe that the balance of separation and social behavior would be good and interesting for roleplay, especially with their physical attributes. Tell me what you think!

As the staff has said multiple times, we simply to not need another race to divide the player base any further, apologies m'lady but t'is be a...

You won't get this accepted as a player race. However, you could augment it to a monster race for slightly better success at being accepted.

Oh, how do I do that.

You won't get this accepted as a player race. However, you could augment it to a monster race for slightly better success at being accepted.

Just play a really hairy dwarf that braids their hair to look like feathers.

Just play a really hairy dwarf that braids their hair to look like feathers.

Hehe, thanks, but no. Perhaps it could be an event creature?

Hehe, thanks, but no. Perhaps it could be an event creature?

It may be cool for the Dwarves to run into these things once they dug too deep or something, but to be honest, I am half/half on it.

At one side, I think it would be cool to see weird bird people underground that try to claw our eyes out trying to protect something, or even eat us if they are just really hungry for fat dwarf.

The other.... well, it's just a personal preference to be honest.

As the staff has said multiple times, we simply to not need another race to divide the player base any further, apologies m'lady but t'is be a...

I think that's a real cop-out. If the race is not completely isolationist and only rp with each other, it is not dividing anything, righT?

It may be cool for the Dwarves to run into these things once they dug too deep or something, but to be honest, I am half/half on it.

At one side, I think it would be cool to see weird bird people underground that try to claw our eyes out trying to protect something, or even eat us if they are just really hungry for fat dwarf.

The other.... well, it's just a personal preference to be honest.

Wow, thanks fit the positive feedback! I guess I didn't really imagine them being that violent underground, but seeing as that's their adapted habitat, I think it would play out a bit like that!

I think that's a real cop-out. If the race is not completely isolationist and only rp with each other, it is not dividing anything, righT?

That was my original concept. I thought the entire idea of "cool race but you can't Roleplay with anyone" was pretty lame, so I thought adding a human-like pack animal/creature would be more interesting for roleplay.

At the bottom of your own posts, where quote and all those are. http://gyazo.com/dd14cf0a968f28f7132e43e16fc86e75

Try not to double post, too, btw.

Derp! Thanks for telling me.

Also, I won't.

Flare's relatively new at lore. She intends it to be a beast species, not a player race. 

It could be relegated to events perhapsibly?