The Curse Of Ignorance

Lima

The Curse of Ignorance

1387508565962.jpg

Forenote

I find myself a lot of the time in situation where I have to address the issue of the Cloud Temple in roleplay, something that always ends up being a somewhat awkward experience to handle because of the whole people mentioning themselves/others coming back to life.

Now I am not sure about you guys, but I find it pretty hard to roleplay the whole ordeal because my character suddenly figuring out he is functionally immortal would break all his religious beliefs and then... well, people don’t act the same when they know they can live forever.

Every mention of the monks just ends up with me sitting there and blotting out the conversation or usually leaving the RP scenario because I struggle to see how my character could stay relevant in a world full of immortals when he realises it.

So I thought of a pretty unique little way of getting around this, playing blatant ignorance and having my character look mentally handicapped when it is mentioned. Instead of listening, he will heavily imply that the cloud temple is actually the cloud tavern and that every time he wakes up there its because he passed out drunk and woke up with a hangover. When people mention it, he just says “You mean the Cloud Tavern, good ale ‘eh?”

This however apparently creates rage in individuals, people saying I was ignoring ‘’their resurrection roleplay’’ and so on. Someone went on to call it ban report worthy... which is actually correct, because I was playing blatant ignorance to my characters immortal existence.

So I made this.

The Curse

The Curse of Ignorance can be defined by three symptoms:

1. Complete ignorance to the function of immortality through the Cloud Temple, often attributing it to other means. Many noted cases have been that they attribute the temple area as a magical tavern, that they were smashed drunk, and thus lost memories. Additionally this only really expresses itself as a symptom if the topic is pressed.

2. A ability to seamlessly accept their new reality where a dead person may be alive again through ignorance to the scenario of their death or only able to vaguely address the topic of it.

3. Repeatedly sneezing when having to address the issues of the former, occasionally in this time it has been known for the symptoms to transfer temporarily to other participants where they then end the topic and find a new one.

Example

Anita is sprawled across the counter in the tavern, sad that her friend and co-worker Jack died earlier today in a tragic carriage driving accident. Her eyes are teary, and she weakly nods to the bartender as he comes to offer her another drink.

Suddenly however she notes that a figure slips into the tavern that's very familiar, and spinning on her chair she sees her friend Jack. He eyes turn wide, and she exclaims across the room “Your alive!”

And it's at this point, Jack starts sneezing. He only raises an awkward wave and goes to sit next to her, opening a small book as if completely ignoring her grievance to show her a invoice for the business.

She would look over him, confused and ask. “You.. you died didn’t you? Woke up at the Cloud Temple and were bought back?” She squeezes her hands together in relief. “I was scared you wouldn’t!”

Jack continues to sneeze, and looks at her. “I.. don’t know what your talking about, I was just drinking at the cloud tavern? I think I had a bit too much though.” His eyes seem ever so hazy as he speaks, and he rubs his forehead from the light headache he had experienced since he woke up. He experiences another sneezing fit.

Suddenly Anita also seems to sneeze, her eyes also going hazy for a second before suddenly diverting her attention to the invoice as if she lost all attention to the ordeal and they both begin to continue their everyday lives.

After thoughts

Now I would argue this has certain benefits as a system for roleplay use, first of all it means you can’t get banned for playing ignorance to the whole topic… because at the moment I wouldn’t be surprised if some particularly pushy member of the community would try to.

Secondly I believe sneezing (something people don’t usually do in roleplay) makes a perfectly good indicator that you are inclined to not address this topic in roleplay. While no people would be obliged to have to feel the effects of such a curse and they may still want to personally play to having knowledge in character it would be a lovely gesture without any LOOC that you don’t like talking about it.

Thirdly, it allows people in more higher up positions to avoid having to deal with inconveniently placed deaths. A great example in real roleplay terms would be the ‘’Smiting of the Court Scenario’’.

This is where King Midgor Ireheart (played by Charles Grimlie) killed a member of his court, and then went onto a scenario where the player character who was killed opted to not permanently die and would have been held liable RPly to then impeach the guy who killed him. Needless to say, with this they can just say they have the sniffles and people will just accept they shouldn’t be there.

Honestly, its a shame I felt the need to write this but I am kinda getting bored of the number of times this comes up and I think sneezing is a good solution. I also don’t want to get banned lol.

To the characters, resurrection at the Cloud Temple is never guaranteed. OOCly, we get to choose to PK or to resurrect, but ICly? They don't know if this is The Death. I think IC knowledge of the monks doin their resurrection thing is fine. The problem is when people try to revenge their own deaths, or remember events leading up to their death.

This would just also require a lot of voiding of RP. Everybody saw your character die, and you sneezing won't change what other characters saw.

To the characters, resurrection at the Cloud Temple is never guaranteed. OOCly, we get to choose to PK or to resurrect, but ICly? They don't know if this is The Death. I think IC knowledge of the monks doin their resurrection thing is fine. The problem is when people try to revenge their own deaths, or remember events leading up to their death.

This would just also require a lot of voiding of RP. Everybody saw your character die, and you sneezing won't change what other characters saw.

Right, but it does represent you are pleasantly asking them to not address the issue because I think its really stupid. I would prefer to not get banned while playing ignorant to my own death. A lot of common courtesy comes when characters die RPly that we offer to one another, however there are situations where that all breaks down horribly. 

Am I to understand your character just accepts people come back to life, and thus nearly any physical action you take to resolve a situation will just lead him to go "There is a good chance they are resurrecting oh well."

I mean, there are rules stating you aren't allowed to die in the knowledge of the resurrection mechanic, so why can't there just be a exception to allow people to ignore it in general. 

I personally just rp my character as distrusting the monks to avoid the awkwardness of reviving, but this is a pretty good solution to the whole thing. +1

I remember a while back, I saw a character threaten to kill another (let's call him Bob) because 'his friend told him that Bob had murdered him.' His reason for believing such a claim was: 'Oh I trust my friend.' So I can see the reasoning for demand of ignorance.

I do think an ignorance of the character having died and the fact they are immortal should be in place. For those who know about the death possibly even an inability to remind the one who died of the events that happened. Really i haven't been playing long but I do see a bit of an issue with just forgetting 30 min of your memories when you can simply be reminded by those around you. 

I like the ideas, but unfortunately I'm confused on some aspects to this ignorance. How are we to react when seeing our own bodily figures that mostly represents, such as a head? The evidence is right there and the reaction to come- I find- is confusing. I usually just RP that monks reviving is a myth and you probably didn't die and just passed out, but then someone came along to heal you. All in all, this is a fantastic solution in the makings +1.

such as a head?

"Achoo" "Achoo" "Achoo" India sneezes.

"Thats a very convincing fake haha, but as you can see I am standing right here." India continues.

"You came back to life India" Replies man.

"Your such a joker, the cloud temple is a tavern, I am not immortal and I did not raise from the dead." India insists.

Solution is to not die, and perma yourself everytime you die rply. 

I like it. Too many a time I've see Susie figure out Joey killed her somehow, so Susie calls her squad of Knights and kills Joey.

Though, does it have to be sneezing? Perhaps coughing? Or just suddenly get very drowsy?

Too many a time I've see Susie figure out Joey killed her somehow, so Susie calls her squad of Knights and kills Joey.

Oh my god I just cringed.

I absolutely hate it when people pull that ****.

If someone Rp's about being revived, or others being revived by the monks he just thinks of them as insane, or confused. Especially people that say that they are going to kill someone because they will just be revived by the monks. That bugs my character out and usually just end up yelling at the person. In the end, I think people should just ignore the monks revival in normal RP. Though at the same time I did a long time ago make a post against he abuse of monk revival as a whole. 

Also, I do like the idea, but I think it's kinda silly this needs to even be addressed. Either way most people should be Rping ignorance, just not as much do, and you don't need an ability to ignore them, or feign ignorance. You can do it now anyways, and if they make a br it will be quickly denied.

If someone Rp's about being revived, or others being revived by the monks he just thinks of them as insane, or confused.

Right, and that's bannable because apparently its ''ignoring roleplay'' to ignore the roleplay of people being revived around you. So I added roleplay for being ignorant.

I like it. Too many a time I've see Susie figure out Joey killed her somehow, so Susie calls her squad of Knights and kills Joey.

Though, does it have to be sneezing? Perhaps coughing? Or just suddenly get very drowsy?

This wouldn't solve that. This is literally a option for people to choose to be ignorant of the cloud temple, its not forced. 

This wouldn't solve that. This is literally a option for people to choose to be ignorant of the cloud temple, its not forced. 

The issue also isn't trying not to die, it's murder in general. It's so common that most people resort to reviving. Which then makes death more common because people figure they will just respawn in cloud temple. It just goes on and on like that. But you can't say to someone "Just try not to die, and pk if you do." but what you may say is "Don't kill as often, only try to if it's necessary. Or makes sense." Then again this has been said before and people just ignore it.

-

Right but this is off from the concept of at least a ability to ignore the revival mechanic in character.