[✗] [Lore] The Clash of Light and Taint

Mephistophelian

Tbh I feel like this would only create more of the feeling that the special mages are being catered too, while the majority of the playerbase without magic is being ignored from this big conflict. Also it'd just make the staff-played aenguls more entitled and important, self-injecting themselves into RP to have this massive battle of Good and Evil.

What's stopping those without holy magic to fight dark arts though? I mean most of them bleed just as any cultists can attack any holy user.

Nothing stops them at all, this is just a post that clarifies how taint and holy light clash.

It allows there to be a system to fall back on much like magic tiers, instead of saying master or apprentice, we have tiers 1-5 to dictate how much magic and how powerfully it can be utilized when conflict arises. There's next to nothing to gain except more roleplay and more interesting conflicts between dark magic users and clerics. Asking why it's necessary is like asking why one sword doesn't phase through another during combat, magic of any sort can be used in harmful ways. Magic is a sword which the mage can use, magic serves most of the time as a weapon.

I feel it's a good idea myself, and not once did Hugo state that normal people can't hurt dark magi. This post offers a new system of conflict that is fairer and more direct. It makes the use of these magics less vague than ''boom boom the clerics killed that shade again'' or ''boom the cleric's dead again!''

PS: Post is beyond choppy, and hard to explain it looks like. I'll modify it tomorrow when I'm not tired. 

Edited by aerialkebab

As to what has been said about a "slight upper hand", I personally think that should shift with the ownership of that one very special artifact

Uthrandl stronk....

Edited by ArcanicFable

I think I'm going to go with what booklight is saying. While I don't believe offensive holy magic should just smash every dark being without a fight, it's purpose is solely to destroy taint. I think that, in cases of a dark being and a holy mage of equal tier, the cleric will win in terms of raw power (but not necessarily in strategy or skill), but, of course, with a struggle.

Like, if a holy beam and a tainted beam originating from sources of equal tiers, the holy beam would eventually overpower the tainted one. If the tainted were a tier higher, then that one would win.

I think I'm going to go with what booklight is saying. While I don't believe offensive holy magic should just smash every dark being without a fight, it's purpose is solely to destroy taint. I think that, in cases of a dark being and a holy mage of equal tier, the cleric will win in terms of raw power (but not necessarily in strategy or skill), but, of course, with a struggle.

Like, if a holy beam and a tainted beam originating from sources of equal tiers, the holy beam would eventually overpower the tainted one. If the tainted were a tier higher, then that one would win.

I see this will be a situation of "my wife wanted a cat, I wanted a dog, so we compromised and got a cat". Alas, I kind of agree with you, here. I will be editing in a rendition of the following:

If the Taint from a T3 Taint mage comes in contact with the Light of a T3 Light mage, the Light will have a slight advantage over the Taint, where it shall struggle to overpower it.

I hope this is to the cleric chat's liking?

I'll be posting an alternative that's more consistent to the status quo, while also doing more to define the nature of different magics. I don't think it's better or worse, just an interesting alternative that some I've asked have preferred and some have not. Be ready, will post soon :)

latest?cb=20100108231005 

I think of this.. and I like it..

I'll be posting an alternative that's more consistent to the status quo, while also doing more to define the nature of different magics. I don't think it's better or worse, just an interesting alternative that some I've asked have preferred and some have not. Be ready, will post soon :)

Feel free! I am interested as to what you come up with :)

But this isn't new lore.
This is a collection of things that already exist.
What?
Why?

No, this is pretty new. As opposed to taint being like oil and holy magic like fire, where holy magic just naturally burns it away, it is more like matter and antimatter, where they oppose each other but neither has natural destructive capabilities. Holy magic has a slight advantage still, but it's very, very different than how it previously was, where holy magic actually has to struggle to overcome taint.

But this isn't new lore.
This is a collection of things that already exist.
What?
Why?

No, this is pretty new. As opposed to taint being like oil and holy magic like fire, where holy magic just naturally burns it away, it is more like matter and antimatter, where they oppose each other but neither has natural destructive capabilities. Holy magic has a slight advantage still, but it's very, very different than how it previously was, where holy magic actually has to struggle to overcome taint.

Frost Witches? I don't really think they are particularly "dark" in this sense. They are for the sake of having a Archetype for their magic, but I really don't think they would fall into this category. That's sexist, yo

Frost Witches? I don't really think they are particularly "dark" in this sense. They are for the sake of having a Archetype for their magic, but I really don't think they would fall into this category. That's sexist, yo

For the sake of explaining some lore on holy magics that has them affected by it, they had to be included. Essentially, they are 'dark' because of the impure soul that they are now, due to the curse. This impurity is tough, if not impossible, to remove.

Love love love light vs dark lore. Amazing lore!

Edited to have Mystics and Wights in the lists. To clarify, all future 'Light' and 'Taint' magics shall hopefully be added onto this list, along with the 'stronger' versions of each. If they aren't, it should be obvious enough, anyway.