[Lore submission] Side Effects for the Void-Attuned

Runabarn

((Before I begin, I want to state that this is nothing new. I simply thought it'd be nice to have lore for it.))

Side Effects for the Void-Attuned

For those who have practiced the voidal arts for decades, they'll find that their connection to the void now feels like an extension of their being. Said connection can even behave like a reflex in some scenarios, happening quickly and involuntarily. It's not unheard of for a master fire evocationist to occasionally exhale coalish smoke after casting. Or an electrical evocationist to generate small sparks around them after a hiccup. Or even an arcanist expelling strangely coloured ectoplasm after a sneeze. The possibilities are many and unpredictable.

The cause for these quirky phenomenons can be explained quite simply. Those who have consistently made use of the void for several years have had their minds accustomed to it, no longer being perceived as a strange force by their psyche, but rather, as a part of them. Of course, the connection itself is unnatural, the mind merely believes it not to be, so it may involuntarily call upon it whenever a reflex is triggered. Sneezes, hiccups, surprises and many more sudden things can cause such an instance. Luckily, it never seems to have any adverse effects, or benefitial effects for that matter. It is entirely neutral. Each mage can have their own unique quirk, or quirks, in some cases. It all depends on what art the mage specializes in.

OOC:

This tiny piece of lore is meant to help people spice up their magic roleplay with a little something. It's meant to be almost entirely cosmetic and for the most part inconsequential in roleplay. Not that you're not allowed to let it have a small impact on RP, such as your character having a slip and others realizing they are a mage. I'm only saying it's meant to play only a tiny role to make the world of LotC seem more rich and whimsical (unintended pun).

Here are some rules for this lore:

• Feel free to be creative when it comes to roleplaying a random effect, but make sure it's within reason first. (Please don't fart fire or anything like that)
  • This lore only applies for voidal magics.
  • Random effects cannot harm you or others directly. (Being burned for witchcraft because you sneezed snowflakes is fine.)
  • You must have mastered a subtype and have been practicing magic for several IC years for your character to be able to do this.

That's it folks. This is my first piece of lore, so any feedback, constructive comments and suggestions are very welcome!

Edited by Whimsylicious
Fixing typos

This doesn't need lore. Given the parameters one should be able to do these things if they want.

gosling-clapping.gif

Fine looking idea, though would the void caster just make these effects up according to their chosen magic, or will there be a set guideline to this?

gosling-clapping.gif

Fine looking idea, though would the void caster just make these effects up according to their chosen magic, or will there be a set guideline to this?

That's the idea. I don't want there to be any specific guidelines to allow for more freedom and creativity. Just follow the rules.

This doesn't need lore. Given the parameters one should be able to do these things if they want.

Like I said at the beginning of my post, this is nothing new. Some people already do this, but they are only a handful. This would help give people more ideas on how to spice up their roleplay experience.

It's not unheard of for a master fire evocationist to occasionally exhale coalish smoke after casting.

Mithras coughes. 

Eh, work on the lore's format and elaborate on the general idea a bit more. Write some redlines.

I don't see the value, let alone the necessity in this lore and find it to be unneeded fluff that only a certain few would make use of. -1

I don't see the value, let alone the necessity in this lore and find it to be unneeded fluff that only a certain few would make use of. -1

There's literally no harm being done if this is accepted, regardless if it is fluff or not (it's already possible for the most part anyway). It'd be like the Bounty Board system in its current standing or the Marked Men, pandering towards a specific audience. https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/134702-arcane-user-list/ And based off that list, the audience is fairly large.

+1.

Still gives more than Mud Maidens.

I really like it! I don't see any issues with this as it stands. 

Why is Lore needed for such small things? Or do we seriously need to post lore for the smallest stuff that is just there for cosmetic purpose? I don't see anything in this tiny piece of writing that would give a character the advantage over others in combat or anything. As I said, it's just cosmetic and lore for it is unnecessary in my opinion...unless the lore team wants to collect every piece of word.

Edited by The Fact Core

I like it. Everyone complains about lore for things that they assume are already public knowledge, but forget that even then, unless it's written in Lore somewhere, someone's going to try and get someone else banned or yelled at for doing it. +1 to this lore.

This lore has been Accepted!

Go Sparkle.