[Lore Submission] Aengudaemon lore-- Sohosael, a Daemon of Taint

Pauluuus

If you have any questions, concerns, and the works please feel free to express your opinion below!

| Sohosael | Daemon of Taint. |

r169_457x256_13774_头像练习_2d_fantasy_portrait_girl_woman_demon_picture_image_digital_art.jpg

| Image belong to here |

History:

Sohosael, a Daemon of Taint and Decay of the dead is one such being surrounded in mystical and mystery. Being symbolized as a darkened, tainted heart, Sohosael is shown to be an entity that is very intuned with  the spreading of taint across the world and the decay and sickness of both the deceased and living. Sohosael is depicted as a tall, bony woman with horns growning from her head and emerald green eyes. Like her fellow kin, Soho was a creation and servant of the Creator. Aging back to the time when Aengudaemons walked the mortal world, Soho had been one of the first to do so. During this time Soho thrived off of the taint of the world and the decaying  of  the dead occured through the land at each passing minute. Through her influence and overwhelming power, Soho seeded the mortal world with various diseases and illnesses that infected the common folk.  However, this influence on humanity lasted only so long..

After the fall of her kin, Iblee from the Seven Skies and their creator, Sohosael withdrew her manifestation from the mortal world like her fellow kin. However, she felt somewhat indifferent about Iblee after his banishment. On one hand she felt ashamed for her daemon brother’s betrayal, on the other hand... Iblee’s vial corruption sunk deep into the mind of his sister; and so, lust got the better of her. Her feelings towards passing of life was too much for her and she craved it even more than before.  Though, not wanting to lose her power from manifesting upon the mortal world, Soho came up with a plan. Thanks to potent Aengudaemon abilities of magic, Sohosael was able to influence the minds of various people of similar ideas. And, so, a cult  was founded containing many followers who would carry out her wish of taint to spread far. Daily would these followers worship Sohosael at black shrines that were created from rotting bodies and fresh blood in order to please her. Other than using followers to carry out her demented wishes, Sohosael used blood magic and various powers to create diseased and sickness that would spread across the land.

The Cult:

Originally having been founded in Anthos by a few of Sohosael’s followers at the time, the Sullvan Triplets Ichokebod Sullvan, Muteso Sullvan, and Skordera Sullvan. The cult was named Ukufihla Kizis and for some time had the three Sullvan Triplets as it’s only members.  However, after several years of being small, Ukufihla Kizis started gaining more members. Because of the gain of new members, a sort of government for the cult was formed. Heading the cult was Ichokebod Sullvan as the  Grand Messor. Below the Grand Messor are the titles of Councilmen of Treasurery, originally headed by Muteso Sullvan, and the Councilmen of Secruity, originally headed by Skordera Sullvan. After the three leading ranks is the Caput Sacerdotes (Head Priests), following Sacerdotes (Priests) and finally Tags (Initiative). With the help of Sohosael, followers of high ranking (i.e. The Leadership and Caput Sacerdotes) were granted powers directly from Sohosael, through this was extremely rare and at most one person every few years would be chosen. For many years the cult prospered with spreading taint across the land from corrupting officials to crimes of murder, however, after the death of the Sullvan brothers, Ukufihla Kizis fell without leadership and become swallowed with their own spread of Chaos. By the time the descendent races entered the new world of The Fringe, Ukufihla was with few members once again and lost even more as the years past. However, after the Undead Invasion coming to light, remnants of the once great cult started to appear slowly over time.  In modern times, the cult is only a shell of it’s former self, still manages to  follow the old ways and spread taint across the world no matter how small it may be.

Rituals:

A much darker worshiping ritual then traditionally, Sohosael’s followers commit themselves to performing this worship weekly if not daily. There are two different types of rituals one may perform. The first one being  a simple one involving the use of a certain phrase representing Sohosael and as well as the person performing the worship having to draw blood from themselves. The phrase used in this ritual used is the following: “O' mother of mine, I pray to thee and give my soul to you for all eternity. For as long as I live I shall carry out your wish and bring taint to the world.” This ritual is mainly used to worship Sohosael and nothing else.

The second ritual, being immensely more difficult than the first and only known to a few who are loyal to Sohosael and her cause. This worshiping ritual is used by loyal followers who tend to be higher up in their cult/order, as well as having similar motives to Sohosael and by doing this ritual a loyal follow may be granted magic manifested from Sohosael herself Firstly, a few things are required for the second  ritual to be performed correctly. This ritual firstly requires the help of several powerful mages of the order/cult, thus allowing only high ranking and loyal followers  to be given access to this. Secondly, the ritual requires the use of several different severed body parts from the dead, common parts used are fingers, toes, and a skull. Next, the use of blood from powerful mages are used, as well as the performer’s own blood. Lastly, the follow must chant a specific phrase that symbolizes Sohosael and as well as make a promise to be loyal to Sohosael for the rest of their lives. Sohosael favors various powers that help spread her taint across the world. However, these “gifts” can lead to great advantages, with every advantage there are always ways that natural balances it out. Having been given these gifts from Sohosael, they also grant  physical and mental deformities to the follow. A few days after performing this ritual the follow will experience change in their physical form from bumps and brozes appearing open from one’s natural body “guard” to be weakened severely to the development of granulomas of the skin, eyes, nerves, and respiratory tract. Because of this these people tend to live much short lives. Traditionally, the use of graveyards to perform these rituals are used to symbolizes the decay of the dead. Like the first ritual, a phrase similar to the first is used as the follow: “O’ mother of mine I pray to thee. I, [name]  give my body, mind, and soul to you. Please grant me your power and let me taint the world like you wish and forever shall I be yours through life and death.”

Trivia:

• The physical deformities that come with gaining powers from Sohosael is based off of the real-life condition of Leprosy.  

Edited by Pauluus

The concept requires elaboration, and the boons provided to the AenguDaemon's proxies/clerics/followers is a mix of OP, and a variety of lore breaking elements. Please also work a bit more on the spelling, it doesn't flow.

The boons are exceptionally OP. I would also recommend trying to avoid already-existing magic types as boons; grant some unique abilities. Perhaps the followers cause taint and decay to spread around them as they walk? They exclusively have taint-bestowing powers akin to necromancy, but without the actual raising of the dead stuff? I would also recommend changing how the cult was founded from outright manipulation of dark people across the realm to something simpler, like contacting a single assassin/necromancer or something and making them their prophet. If this is a true cult, I would recommend ironing out some tenets and some more rituals, perhaps even some prayers for flavor.

Honestly you should think of positives not only negatives take the example of Nurgle.. While Nurgle is the God of death and decay, he is also the God of rebirth. After all, decay is simply one part of the cycle of life, without which no new life could grow. In the same way, Nurgle is also the God of perseverance and survival. 

To be honest the concept is a good idea, but the magic granted seems geared towards a set group of individuals. Mostly from what I would gather friends and such...not to mention it doesn't make sense for them to be just 'granted' those magics. Perhaps instead of just making benefits for worshiping such a Daemon add a set of negatives as well. Perhaps shortened life spans, rotting bodies giving off a putrid smell, etc. Things that would flow with the idea of worshiping a god of decay. 

A fair bit of whats written about this daemon contradicts itself. First she's ugly, than she's beautiful... and than ugly again?

Likewise, decay happens after death, the breaking down of what is dead, not things just dieing. If there was a divine being of decay, would it not simply want its followers to collect what is dead? Or to break down what is useless so it may be made anew?

Finally, Daemons are compared to fire. They're beings of change, and they usually manifest as to change something, or to cause a change.

Remembers me a lot of the shamanistic spirit of decay, Orgon.

SNIP

SNIP

SNIP

SNIP

SNIP

SNIP

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Sorry for the late reply, I was terribly sick in bed yesterday and couldn't get on. I'll now start rewriting and editing this from your ideas.

Updates:

• Re-titled Sohosael from the Daemon of Decay to the Daemon of Taint. 
  • Reworded the text.
    • Reworded the rituals and added phrases used in them.
  • Added a section for the cult.
  • Added a Trivia section. Currently only contains one thing but more will possibly will be added on.
Edited by Pauluus