[Shelved][Arcane Engineering] Thaumaturgic Amplificare

Thaumaturgic Amplificare

The Thaumaturgic Amplificare also shortened to “Arcane Amp” or “Magic Engine” is a piece of Arcane Technology designed to amplify a Mage's abilities to a large degree, enabling them to perform feats that are beyond the capabilities of regular Mages.

maxresdefault.jpg

How the device works:

Functioning almost like a giant stave that Mages usually use, the Thaumaturgic Aplificare differs in that it casts an amplified version of the spell through its many rings. It does this through having several focused rings that differ in size as they reach along. The device has two focus crystals in the middle of two of the rings. One of these crystals is in the middle of the first ring which the spell will pass through and thus become more focused, it would then pass through the other rings to the last crystal allowing the device to fire off an accurate shot.

Instead the rings are lined with a Ruibrium paste, finely painted on the inside of each of the rings that are designed to empower the spell and focus it at the same time as it passes through amplifying the power of the spell casted making the end result akin to the power of a traditional siege weapon. The difference being the device allows its user to fire a more focused and accurate shot than a siege weapon, but one of the drawbacks is that it does require a mage to operate.

The device itself is mainly designed for evocationists to use of almost all varieties, though Air and Earth Evocation may break the device outright in using it. When a mage uses this device, they must be sure not to funnel overly powerful spells into it. If such an act is done, the amplified spell would utterly destroy the device, harming those around it as well.

How the device is made:

One of these devices must be constructed carefully, the materials involved are fragile enough that it could break if not made properly causing the engineer building the device to start over. The device itself can be constructed either on a structure that has enough space for it, or it can be constructed on top a sturdy wagon (Note it would add significant weight to it) for a more mobile version to be transported to Sieges. Note it is hand crafted and put together in a properly equipped workshop, although repairs to damages can be made on the field or outside of a workshop the actual device requires to be assembled in one. The device is large no matter what, there is no real way of making it smaller to get the same power or amplification of power.

The specifics include making round rings and attaching it to a system where the size of each ring goes from largest to smallest. Once all the parts are fitted together it must either be fitted to a stationary platform or on top of a cart. Once fitted to a stationary platform it cannot be moved off and will have a limited field of view, while on the cart it offers limited mobility at the sacrifice of lacking significant protection and being more vulnerable to damage. Lastly there are two focus crystals on the device, one which is situated in the first ring and one that is situated in the last ring to allow a focused and accurate amplified spell to be fired off at the target the device is aimed at.

Uses of the device:

The primary use of the device  is for purposes of war (namely, to be used in siege warfare, where it can be very useful in supporting either a defensive or offensive party with its artillery fire powered by magic). Having Arcane Evocation cast through the device it could send a spell strong enough to dislodge stone in even the strongest structures, much like an accurate trebuchet.

Via the use of Fire Evocation, the operator of this device would find it incredibly effective against infantry. A wide spout of fire could be made to roast the enemy, or a focused beam could be directed towards castle-bound assailants, to soften them up. As with normal fire evocation, the magical flame dissipates after the spell is stopped.There is, however, a risk that comes with using Fire Evocation, as high demanding spells will cause the Ruibrium paste to diminish more quickly. Of course, uncontrolled spells also hold the potential to damage or destroy the device.

Lastly, it could be used with Water and Earth Evocation, with the former having the possibility to be used as a high pressured hose of sorts or launching large blocks of ice at enemies from a besieged or siege standpoint. With Earth Evocation, a large and solid piece of Earth could be thrown at the enemy much like with traditional siege weaponry, although if misfired it could lead to damaging or destroying the device in the process if not handled correctly.

Drawbacks and Flaws:

One of the main drawbacks in the design is that it requires Ruibrium Pasting around each of the rings to empower the spells, the Ruibrium in question would have to be processed as unprocessed Ruibrium would likely cause the device to combust as soon as a spell passed through just one of the rings.

Another is that the Siege tool isn’t very portable, for single-handed-combat applications, it wouldn’t fair too well, considering it’s a large siege tool.

The engine requires a lot of time to use, meaning you’ll have to make multiple emotes to focus, then send the spell into the engine, have the spell pass through the lenses, and then fire onto the target. (Five to six emotes)

This is by no means a one shot kill siege weapon. It will take multiple shots to fully decimate a castle wall. But if focused on a person/group of people, It’s probably going to down them.

The engine itself is a fragile device, it could easily be damaged beyond the point of usage for the duration of a battle if hit by a hostile siege weapon. It could also be damaged by misfired spells or overcharged spells that have passed through the crystal. ( Rolls for firing, 10 or above for a perfect strike, 9 to 6 for a miss-aimed strike, 5 or below for misfire and damage to the engine.)

Fire, water, electrical,and arcane evo work best with the engine. Using earth or air have chances of damaging the Amplificare. Air would fling the device backward, and earth can possibly crush the device. However, if both evocations were successfully used (You’d need a 15 or above) Air would act as super-powered pressurized cannon, and earth would let loose a massive stone evocated object that could inflict a lot of damage.

When the Amplificare fails/gets destroyed:

If the device gets damaged beyond repair, it can produce a small explosion, damaging anything around it. Putting its crew out of action through death or severe injury. (Note added the Crew out of action in late, I always meant for this to be in, seems I forgot to put it in)

(( OOC Note: I thought I'd try my hand at Arcane Engineering, I thought this would be a pretty nice idea to make a device for Mages to use in Siege Warfare without having something that isn't too overpowered or that would provide a ridiculous advantage. I don't intend for this device to just appear should this lore be accepted and fully plan to develop the device in roleplay with the help of several characters. ))

Authors:
TauFirewarrior: Concept, main body of writing

HugoTheChamp/Mephistophelian: Proof reading and edits

Bokratz: Various additions and edits

Indeed. I would certainly love to see magic being used within warclaims.

tumblr_n7d34uDalU1smcbm7o1_500.gif

I am pretty sure the LM's or MAT said somewhere no flame throwers.

That was to fire evocation itself though... Not sure if it could apply to this?

super dank +1

Also added into that question above... I know you said it'll only work with void magic.

Though could this work with dark arts also?

Necromancy life-drain to a very powerful extent? Ext

1 minute ago, ttwesten / Evark Evocress said:

Also added into that question above... I know you said it'll only work with void magic.

Though could this work with dark arts also?

Necromancy life-drain to a very powerful extent? Ext

I wouldn't imagine it could work with necro and other dark arts. It could probably work with Blood Magic due to the nature of the magic being able to empower normal magic, but a spell like that would likely overload the device and wreck it so it probably wouldn't be viable even with blood magic. Its like a focused magical cannon of sorts I suppose. Though it cannot be deployed on mass and still has a fairly slow rate of fire, just has good power and accuracy with voidal spells. 

The channeling of spells through an arrangement of magical alloys, such as thanium and magegold are not new. Silus had the idea too, never pursued it to a bigger scale. I do support this though.