[Lore: Repost] Dwarven Siege Cannon

Cpt_Noobman

~The Dwarven Siege Cannon~

Spoiler

latest?cb=20150810194709

As Orenian forces pressed ever closer to the Dwarven heartland, the Dwedmar were desperate for an edge against these foreign invaders. Under Rhewen Frostbeard, Dwarven tinkers, engineers and inventors of all kind were set to work on various war machines, traps, and other weapons that could give them an advantage in battle. A group of Dwarven golemancers, remembrancers, and engineers came together to begin work on a weapon of special note.

Using recovered schematics used by the Dwarves of yore, and working by memory, they began production on a modified version of the ancient Dwarven cannons used hundreds of years prior. After years of tireless and dedicated work, and the pooling of an innumerable amount of resource in the forms of mina, iron, gunpowder, fine workmanship, and the death of one beardling in a testing accident, the product of this labor was the Dwarven siege cannon.

Nicknamed Hefjhor guns in honor of the lad who died in it’s production, the cannon truly matches his name’s Dwarven meaning. A hulking beast of cast iron, intricately shaped and carved in decorative fashions with runes and depictions of the Brathmordakin, it has all qualities that a Dwarf finds admirable. It is wide, heavy, dangerous, and it packs quite a punch.

After the Vanderguanian victory at the siege of Kal’Ordholm, the dwarves were able to safely test fire the cannon, and get accurate results on the way it works in practice, and compile a list on it’s functions and advantages/disadvantages.

Advantages:

• A very powerful weapon, it is capable of punching deep holes through walls, and barricades, creating a far deeper path than conventional siege weapons.

• It is far more accurate than the fickle ways of trebuchets, and siege ballistas, and is much more likely to hit it’s target than those aforementioned.

• In addition to it’s offensive capabilities, it can be used for defense as well. It’s notable ability to smash through wooden barricades makes it a good choice for targeting an offensive force’s siege equipment.

Disadvantages:

• Being a more fickle weapon in regards to reloading, it takes longer to load properly than conventional siege weapons.

• It is a weapon with very intricate mechanisms that allow it to work properly so as a result it is about twice as susceptible to malfunction as conventional siege weapons.

• Unlike trebuchets and ballistas, it cannot be assembled on the battlefield, so it must be built elsewhere and then limbered by horse or golem to the battlefield if used for an offensive attack.

• After every shot if mounted on a cart or wheels, the cannon’s aim is thrown off, and it must be re-adjusted by the aimer and spotter to be aligned to it’s original position.

• It takes longer to load and fire than conventional siege weapons, as many more steps are followed to do so.

• Being a Dwarven work of art, it costs more to produce than a conventional siege weapon, both in minas for production of the weapon itself, and materials for the ammunition it uses.

Neutral Statistics:

• A three man crew is recommended for firing the cannon, consisting of a reloader, and aimer/shooter, and a spotter to mark targets. It can be worked by two men, but it takes twice as long to fire if this is done, and could be less accurate.

• In a defensive situation, it can be mounted on a rotatable axis so that when it is fired, the aim is not thrown off. In an offensive situation if it is mounted on a cart, or wheels, the aim will be thrown off after each shot, and will need to be re-adjusted.

OOC Suggested Stats For Use

(Up to GM discretion of course)

Cost:

• 750 minas to create the siege weapon as opposed to 500 for trebs, and 250 for ballistas.

• If an ammunition system is implemented, then each shot should require 10 gunpowder, and 9 iron ingots to make.

Firing:

• The cannon malfunctions on a roll of 2 or lower, as opposed to a roll of 1 for trebs/ballistas.

• The cannon gets a critical hit on a roll of 19 or above as opposed to a roll of 20 for trebs/ballistas

• 17-18 is a direct hit, 15-16 is a hit, 10-15 is an indirect hit, 3-10 is a miss.

• It takes 2 minutes to fire with a crew of 3 compared to 1 minute for trebs/ballistas. With a crew of two, the time doubles making it 4 minutes to reload and fire.

• Unlike a trebuchet, it can only be fired in a straight line so shots cannot be arced over walls or towers to hit things behind them. If it needs to hit something behind cover, the best bet for the operator is to try and shoot through the cover.

Damage on Impact:

• A hit causes a deeper blow into defenses than a treb or ballista, but the tunnel it creates is not as wide, making it useful for creating breaches, just not large ones.

• Against players, I would suggest a fireball or AOE damage of some sort.

((To any loremasters or other staff that decided on whether or not it’s accepted, I understand why you wouldn’t want to with your rules on gunpowder. But to be honest, gunpowder has already come very far on the server from being used in fireworks, to making TNT, to making explosive arrows. I don’t think making a cannon would be that terrible all things considered. It pretty much follows the same rules for other siege equipment as well with a few differences, so in my opinion it wouldn’t be OP like previous cannons on the server. I just think it would give some flair to the battlefield, and make things a bit more interesting.

Thanks for reading, and let me know what you think in the reply section. I may add/subtract things from the lore depending on response.

I'm re-posting this thread because I was completely dissatisfied with the answer given in the original post. I was in TS with Dizzy at the time he denied it, and I can say with conviction that no more than a moments thought was given in denying it. I don't mind if you deny it, but please respect that I worked rather hard on this lore, and spent a few hours writing it. If you're going to deny it, please give me a real reason. Also, I'd like to request another staff member be the one to answer this thread next time.

Edit: If you have any fears or issues about it's balance or other problems, please talk to me first, and things like that can be worked out.

One of the rules of lore submission, actually the first one, is that cannons aren't allowed... So yes, it was denied.

"Respect LOTC fantasy theme. No guns, no cannons, no lasers, no flame-throwers, etc."

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/127636-lore-master-general-post/

Ballistae and trebuchets are already misused, poorly emoted, and poorly understood by operating GMs. I allow myself a suspension of disbelief for those things, but having a meme cannon blowing through walls is going to give a lot of people a bad time.

45 minutes ago, Jistuma said:

One of the rules of lore submission, actually the first one, is that cannons aren't allowed... So yes, it was denied.

"Respect LOTC fantasy theme. No guns, no cannons, no lasers, no flame-throwers, etc."

I understand that anything regarding cannons have been denied as general rule in recent times, but I feel that a cannon could fit well into the server and contribute to the fantasy atmosphere of the server without taking away from any sort of immersion the server provides at the moment. I'd be willing to talk with staff members to explain this concept in more detail if you'd be willing to talk with me. I just don't want an interesting and good piece of lore in my opinion to be denied on account of a rule made to prevent mistakes from the past.

1 minute ago, Cpt_Noobman said:

I understand that anything regarding cannons have been denied as general rule in recent times, but I feel that a cannon could fit well into the server and contribute to the fantasy atmosphere of the server without taking away from any sort of immersion the server provides at the moment. I'd be willing to talk with staff members to explain this concept in more detail if you'd be willing to talk with me. I just don't want an interesting and good piece of lore in my opinion to be denied on account of a rule made to prevent mistakes from the past.

You can talk to the staff about it. Though I ask not to me, I am currently in hiatus, as I'm writing my thesis.

4 minutes ago, Jistuma said:

You can talk to the staff about it. Though I ask not to me, I am currently in hiatus, as I'm writing my thesis.

Alright, I'll try a few of the other loremasters. Thanks for the reply.

There is an overwhelming opposition to this idea, let alone the direct statement banning them in the rules. I think you should give up on it, it will not add to RP.

I believe cannons were removed after their poor staff regulations during the Dwarven warclaim against the Teutons. With that said, Ithe only way this will properly function is assistance from the staff. Unfortunately, this will never be reaccepted.

9 minutes ago, Ballnazor said:

really never saw the point in removing cannons since they work/worked EXACTLY like every other siege equipment, i just liked it when there was more flavor. It makes ships look very weird since we have to build trebs and ballistas on them. Staff was the problem in the hanseti warclaim, not the cannons. I'd +1 if it was just a "bring cannons back" idea but its just a better siege weapon exclusive to the dwarves.

-1 its meh

It might as well be a bring the cannons back idea. I forgot that the Teutons had cannons somehow, but I think former Teutons or Teuton related engineers may be able to figure it out. The reason I limited it to dwarves in the post was just because I figured dwarves would be more likely to rediscover it first based on our current situation. Anyone with previous knowledge on how the cannons worked might be able to create these new ones if they get a hold of one.

2 hours ago, Jistuma said:

Guns aren't allowed, and neither are cannons, but bows that shoot explosives are!

1 hour ago, AGiantPie said:

Guns aren't allowed, and neither are cannons, but bows that shoot explosives are!

Guns use explosives as a propellant and require advanced machining ability to produce. Cannons are similar, albeit more simplistic. This is VASTLY different from strapping a bag of explosive material to the end of an arrow shaft.

9 minutes ago, Bogrin said:

Guns use explosives as a propellant and require advanced machining ability to produce. Cannons are similar, albeit more simplistic. This is VASTLY different from strapping a bag of explosive material to the end of an arrow shaft.

Simple guns aren't that complicated, and explosive arrows are ludicrously illogical. The point is that the supposed "fantasy" tech-lock is fickle at best. I would rather all ranged explosives be simply disallowed.

As much as I hate to say this, if explosive /arrows/ are a thing then how aren't cannons? I am against the whole "Dwarven Siege Cannon" though, there's no reason why a dwarf would just have a better cannon because dwarf.

Explosive bolts were accepted so explosive things such as the cannon aren't that far-fetched. My suggestion is that you scrap the cannon idea and invent something that has similar functions, but doesn't work like a traditional cannon. Use runesmithing or something to make it unique or put a twist on the current seige equipment without relying on gunpowder.