Cognatism Addition #2 - Mental Magic and Cognatism Don't Mesh

ski_king3

Literally what the title says. Just as one mind cannot enter two, a cognate cannot get two minds to enter one. Mental magic is the extreme requiring precision of the mind, whereas cognitism creates a disorderly one. Unlike most void magics, these two are incompatible, and one cannot learn both.

5 hours ago, whiteoak123 said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you don't want them to merge together

+1, cause the lore's of both magics would need to be rewritten a little to mix together, and lets be honest, this is LOTC and it will only actually get rewritten when the magic plugin is released

Oh, my sweet summer child...

I have no opinion on this. However I'm always fond of combining subtypes. Could you tell us why they don't mesh in layman's terms? What you wrote was kind of jibberishy to people not read-up on mental, cog, and illusion.

I echo Mith's question. With current Oren, they and is. Simply stating they cannot with no reason is a bit drastic.

Also, if you say cognitism creates a disorderly mind, and void mages require focus and an ordered array of thoughts, how can a cognant use void magics other than cognitism?

I don't see the reason why this needs to be in Lore Submissions. You are arguing against another lore submission. 

I'm not too sure on this disorderly mind claim. Cognatism is made for the precision of mind and has the ability to conjure revelations, so to say it's disorderly or chaotic is a bit off, I think.

It's disorderly in the sense that it's literally split in two. After speaking with several mental mages, I'm told they need particular mental acuity to enter one's mind. A mental mage focuses upon the mind of another and "enters" it, and I believe doing so with two minds rather than one seems pretty much impossible.

Think of it sort of like sticking a key in a lock. If you cut it in half along its length and try to unlock it by putting both halves in and getting them to cooperate, you're gunna have a really hard time of it. After speaking with several cognatism users as well as several mental magic users, pretty much everyone seemed to think this made sense, some even imploring it as the only logical way for the two magics to work.

My point is that if you cannot focus enough to perform mental magic, how can you focus enough to perform any other magic? Yes, mental magic needs focus, but this focus is not SO much more than other magics.

I'd just like to drop a cent or two, cognitism is about introspection, looking within yourself, thinkin' deeply. Mental Magic is generally a highly manipulative magic that involves delving into other people's minds, ******* with it, and create rather POWERful illusions that can literally make what would seem like a whole new world.

The idea of combining cognitism and mental mage seems...honestly silly to me. They are blatantly and drastically going in two different directions. One's about introspection, the other is about basically forcing yourself into people's heads and reading their mind.

The point on the difference being because...focus is pretty bad, I have to admit as well. But them being the same is ridiculous.

5 hours ago, Mephistophelian said:

My point is that if you cannot focus enough to perform mental magic, how can you focus enough to perform any other magic? Yes, mental magic needs focus, but this focus is not SO much more than other magics.

2 hours ago, susitsu said:

I'd just like to drop a cent or two, cognitism is about introspection, looking within yourself, thinkin' deeply. Mental Magic is generally a highly manipulative magic that involves delving into other people's minds, ******* with it, and create rather POWERful illusions that can literally make what would seem like a whole new world.

The idea of combining cognitism and mental mage seems...honestly silly to me. They are blatantly and drastically going in two different directions. One's about introspection, the other is about basically forcing yourself into people's heads and reading their mind.

The point on the difference being because...focus is pretty bad, I have to admit as well. But them being the same is ridiculous.

Might be just cuz it's 4:45 am for me, but this might still be sort of unclear.

The explanation I gave I guess isn't quite so clear. I meant one thing when I said 'lack of focus' that clearly only made sense to me, so I apologize. My thoughts are basically that cognates have a diffuse, split mind whereas mental mages have a very narrow, honing thought process (akin to susitsu's thoughts). When it comes to trying to enter one's mind, while with the former it's possible, it is not with the latter. Cognates are familiar with their own minds, which is why they still function as reasonable(ish) human beings regularly and can cast magic, yet when trying to apply the mastery over their own mind to other people, that seems like something that should be totally impossible.