The Nine Tomes Of Power

Wretched

1 hour ago, Swgrclan said:

the Clerics have no greater right over their bless-y book of heal-y light over the Dark Elves

First off, I'm very sorry you had a stomache, especially caused by the player outcry. It's no fun at all.

Second, the clerics are actually the only ones who can use the tome; it requires a cleric with a connection to Tahariae to activate. So, while the clerics don't have any greater right to it, its useless to anybody else that finds it, and it seems to be the only one that does. If these tomes are going to be accessible to everybody, then maybe y'all should change that tome a bit? Just needed to point that out.

11 minutes ago, Jaeden said:

Mm, I understand the purpose of the tomes, and that everyone is allowed an equal opportunity to obtain them. However, my concern doesn't lay with who the focus was, and rather, the amount that the focus was on.
I went more into detail about my post here, in LeoWarrior14's Lore Team thread; I'll quote what I said there, regarding the tomes and when it was addressed about the Aenguldaemons lore.

What I'm concerned about, is that the tomes are generally useless to those that don't receive them. They will forget about them after a month or so. World Events should generally have profound impacts on a majority of players in the terms of chracter progression / development; as World Events are for the server's playerbase as a whole, and not a few. I don't mean any offence by this at all, though! As I said in my opening post, I really love the writing and the idea, and I'm not against it; my concern just lies with the World Event title on it.

The tomes are designed to effect everyone around those who had earned them; this was how they were written and why they were accepted through the usual, fair measures. If people forget about them, its because they've gone into disuse, which means they'll eventually fall into the hands of another so their powers may be utilized accordingly. As for character progression and development - I don't know about you, but being affiliated with or being someone to control dragons or raise an army of dead seems quite developmental to me. 

I only see this failing if the people or groups who receive the tomes hoard the item as a status symbol rather than doing anything with it, in which case I think they should have it taken away forcefully. Otherwise I overall like this idea. Instead of introducing a god/aengul with these powers, they're being allowed to be given to players.

Yeah, so regardless of what people say to defend this, I am a firm believer that this'll be just another thing for the "niche" players. Books will mostly go to the high elves / ascended / holy groups, especially books that don't make sense going to them. I won't be swayed by whatever good words that anyone put fourth, we've been shown time and time again these types of additions that strictly benefit a small group of players. Let's focus on bringing and flushing out actual lore for actual player groups that legitimately matter like the four races, our dark magic groups that get absolutely zero spotlights (server's to whiteknight) instead of focusing on these ignorant things that won't ever give any attention to people on this server that are critical to this server's continued success.

The last time the dwarves, for example because I play a dwarf character as my main, was when we finished the Hall of Urguan event, a full MAP later, nearly 6-7 months ago. Albeit that event wasn't even completed to its maximum potential, after the lore was basically annihilated by malicious people. I was brought on as a builder on that event last minute to get it ready for launch, it wasn't a completely thought out event, and was a raped and butchered version of what it should've been. 4.0 was, for all intents and purposes, the "Dwarven" map, this isn't something that can be argued, it is fact. We got so destroyed that map it now has become a joke among our player base, mainly our older players who survived its horrors.

So, tl:dr stop making shitt(not bad writing, meh) lore that will basically only benefit an extremely small amount of players and actually focus on the main groups of people. But, what do I know, I don't know all the plans that the server has to yet unfold, I am only working off what I have witnessed and been told as a player.

Uhh, I know I'm a bit late on this topic but I just want to not one thing that Benbo said in his original post.

Each of the books are entirely indestructible and can’t be copied. Should the holder of the tome be unworthy to bear it, it is possible that it will vanish from their clutches and appear in the grasp of another.

Tbh, I can clearly see that as a countermeasure to the "hur hur my niche hur hur" situation, since It's clearly to be run by GMs, and if a GM thinks it's going to be used for so called niche BS, can't they just go full nope mode and take their book away?

5 hours ago, Croleo676 said:

Uhh, I know I'm a bit late on this topic but I just want to not one thing that Benbo said in his original post.

Tbh, I can clearly see that as a countermeasure to the "hur hur my niche hur hur" situation, since It's clearly to be run by GMs, and if a GM thinks it's going to be used for so called niche BS, can't they just go full nope mode and take their book away?

It is a clause for potential future situations. If a player is deemed to be misusing the tome then it shall relocate, likely through another event. Misuse, is entirely situational.

8 hours ago, Bloodnight said:

Yeah, so regardless of what people say to defend this, I am a firm believer that this'll be just another thing for the "niche" players.

Regardless of how presumptuous players admire to be, the books are still being spread across the playerbase. I really hate that the main problem with these books is that they'll "end up with tiny groups", as if somehow you just have some greater knowledge that that is the case. The first book that's being released is actually being released to one of the four main races in general, but for the sake of the event I'm not going to go into specifics.

12 hours ago, Ventusyr said:

First off, I'm very sorry you had a stomache, especially caused by the player outcry. It's no fun at all.

Second, the clerics are actually the only ones who can use the tome; it requires a cleric with a connection to Tahariae to activate. So, while the clerics don't have any greater right to it, its useless to anybody else that finds it, and it seems to be the only one that does. If these tomes are going to be accessible to everybody, then maybe y'all should change that tome a bit? Just needed to point that out.

Wait what? I'm fairly certain it just boosts clerics attempting to perform a miracle, making it  easier, not that it can be only used by a cleric.

3 hours ago, Nalatac said:

Wait what? I'm fairly certain it just boosts clerics attempting to perform a miracle, making it  easier, not that it can be only used by a cleric.

Well, it's since been changed, but originally the wording was something along the lines of "It allows a cleric with a connection to Tahariae to work miracles". However, it's been changed now so anybody can use it with just an incantation, so all is good!

58 minutes ago, Ventusyr said:

Well, it's since been changed, but originally the wording was something along the lines of "It allows a cleric with a connection to Tahariae to work miracles". However, it's been changed now so anybody can use it with just an incantation, so all is good!

star wars stormtrooper

Excellent.

I don't know why this is under debate. I understand the wording may have seen it as much under the Xan and Clerical Tomes, however anyone can use these books. Let everyone know that these relics can be used by anyone and does not require aengudaemon connection. 

Gotta cath em all!!!! The nine tomes

Oh. Actually this really fits with my character.  Well, the third descendant of my original character.  Is it possible for these to still be obtained?

On 4/25/2016 at 9:29 AM, Carcino said:

Oh. Actually this really fits with my character.  Well, the third descendant of my original character.  Is it possible for these to still be obtained?

Many of the tomes have not been released and will have events for them this map. Stay tuned. 

18 minutes ago, James said:

Many of the tomes have not been released and will have events for them this map. Stay tuned. 

Speaking of maps, can we travel to the new map expansion yet? I have a Naval map for (what I assume) is the new map. 

33 minutes ago, Harrrison said:

Speaking of maps, can we travel to the new map expansion yet? I have a Naval map for (what I assume) is the new map. 

Actually, it could be for the event island as well