The Nine Tomes Of Power

Wretched

Rap'Lur finds an ancient spiritual book which proceeds to have a strange lack of power...

I don't really get complaints about how small playerbase it'll touch or how only magic users will care. I think I'll care if there would be a guy that can cast freaking meteors on my home.

Only thing is that knowledge about such discoveries should spread. Then the most powerful players (I mean the most IC influential groups) would be interested and maybe even fight for it. If a nation gets one of those books it could even make great investement for building properly secured sanctuaries, form special knight orders to protect it or appoint the most noble, loyal and skillful citizens to guard it... And even if they don't find them, It's about finding it, but about involving people in searching, right?

17 minutes ago, Vasemir said:

Then the most powerful players (I mean the most IC influential groups) would be interested and maybe even fight for it.

thats why im looking for them, to stop something like that from happening

((The Planet Dictate tome was found and opened!!!! That's why! ******* cool.

Naturally god-like entities are going to be used frequently in lore, they have power, power leads to potential. I struggle to think of many other ways we could be introducing these tomes if not from the greater entities of the world. I'm running the plan to implement the tomes across the server so my explanation is going to be brief as not to spoil it, but every concern mentioned here plus more has already been expressed and deliberated over, I'm going to ask you don't do the norm LoTC thing and bash something into the earth before it's even begun. But to clarify:

- Most the tomes will be introduced through events accessible to many. They aren't going to be limited to certain groups and in the instance that they are, it is to give that group some influence usually only achieved by an abundance of players (such as the necronomicon,  which allows for the summoning of an army, allowing for significant political and RP influence over large nations that would usually disregard the smaller groups.)

- No, it will not be aimed at just the magical community. In fact, about half the books are aimed to not be in the hands of the magical community, which given that they are magic books is significant.

- This lore's background exists for lore's sake beyond anything else. What the players will be receiving and the events that will be following, will be distant from Aengudaemons all together, don't use this as an opportunity to bash Aenguls and Daemons when in truth they are only the background, nothing more. I know that's an easy point to argue against but it's what you guys do with the books that's going to become prominent, this is about you, not Aenguls and Daemons.

- Once again, while bringing up points of concern is fine, I don't intend to act upon anything until we've started to see these tomes in effect in-game. The simple truth is I'll respond to action, not 'foresight'. If it fails, it fails. We're not professional writers and game designers, failure is always a possibility, we're a server of experimentation so I'm asking you to see this through before you jump to the "I hate it" or "I love it." 

For the above reason I won't be responding further. Let's see how this plays out.

What does niche groups even mean in a server where everything is a niche group. 

Deity events offer freedom in terms of lore writing and who you are catering to and what you can do. Especially due to the massive amount of work and effort that has been put into clarifying them all. Of course they are gonna do events around them. "Common playerbase groups" have easily gotten as many events that aren't deity related as those that are. There would be more but the playerbase doesn't want an antagonist, or monsters, or magic. 

Saying no no no to everything produced is a good way to put the creators down. Go to the event roleplay section and write up events you want to see. Otherwise expecting them to pop up on their own isn't going to happen. 

52 minutes ago, Benbo (Wretched) said:

Most the tomes will be introduced through events accessible to many.

W-what?

I thought this was like an Easter hunt and they were hidden throughout the world. I guess I'm now more acquainted with Vailor than I ever have been or needed to be ;_;

I am sadly disappointed that there is no Billy Bob book to shower taters from the sky or something.

Cool

2 hours ago, BrandNewKitten said:

What does niche groups even mean in a server where everything is a niche group. 

Deity events offer freedom in terms of lore writing and who you are catering to and what you can do. Especially due to the massive amount of work and effort that has been put into clarifying them all. Of course they are gonna do events around them. "Common playerbase groups" have easily gotten as many events that aren't deity related as those that are. There would be more but the playerbase doesn't want an antagonist, or monsters, or magic. 

Saying no no no to everything produced is a good way to put the creators down. Go to the event roleplay section and write up events you want to see. Otherwise expecting them to pop up on their own isn't going to happen. 

People are lowkey saying they don't just want these books to be given to high elf magic users who have GM friends.

3 hours ago, Benbo (Wretched) said:

- Most the tomes will be introduced through events accessible to many. They aren't going to be limited to certain groups and in the instance that they are, it is to give that group some influence usually only achieved by an abundance of players (such as the necronomicon,  which allows for the summoning of an army, allowing for significant political and RP influence over large nations that would usually disregard the smaller groups.)

The question is, are the /events/ spread out through timezones? The minority people in timezones such as GMT-10 or other non American timezones be witness to these events?

... Why is it the Tome of Purity does literally everything a master cleric could already do, but less efficiently (a master cleric doesn't have to wait two weeks after connecting a limb, for example)? If it can only be activated by a cleric, its literally magically useless, save for being able to do these things after a longer period of time. In comparison with the other tomes (Giant impenetrable bubble shield for Xan's, an undead army for Iblees's) it's really, really underpowered, and not unique whatsoever.

EDIT: Because negatory statements with no alternatives are annoying and unhelpful, here are some effects for the tome I'd like to propose instead:

The imbuement of holy power into a wide radius around the tome that incinerates tainted beings and heals people within the region, sealing deep wounds and bringing fallen from the brink of death. This would not require a cleric to use.

Actually bringing somebody back to life.

Turning the cleric temporarily into an "avatar" of Tahariae, clothing them in holy robes and armor impervious to taint and lifeforce tendrils and granting them to perform great miracles and summon forth war cleric spells effortlessly. This would last, I don't know, an Elven hour, or the duration of a battle, after which a pillar of light would burst upwards and out of the cleric and he would fall to the ground unconscious, remembering nothing of his deeds.

Summoning forth a stag that stabs people with holy antlers.

These are just a couple ideas I'm coming up with on the spot. My point is, the current abilities of the Tome of Purity is basically just a way for an already-achievable miracle to be worked with little energy cost to the cleric, which, quite frankly, isn't unique whatsoever, and would kill all the RP made from said miracles otherwise (long rituals that can require multiple clerics and always require components, and exhaustion post-healing so the patient takes care of the cleric).

1 hour ago, Ventusyr said:

... Why is it the Tome of Purity does literally everything a master cleric could already do, but less efficiently (a master cleric doesn't have to wait two weeks after connecting a limb, for example)? If it can only be activated by a cleric, its literally magically useless, save for being able to do these things after a longer period of time. In comparison with the other tomes (Giant impenetrable bubble shield for Xan's, an undead army for Iblees's) it's really, really underpowered, and not unique whatsoever.

EDIT: Because negatory statements with no alternatives are annoying and unhelpful, here are some effects for the tome I'd like to propose instead:

The imbuement of holy power into a wide radius around the tome that incinerates tainted beings and heals people within the region, sealing deep wounds and bringing fallen from the brink of death. This would not require a cleric to use.

Actually bringing somebody back to life.

Turning the cleric temporarily into an "avatar" of Tahariae, clothing them in holy robes and armor impervious to taint and lifeforce tendrils and granting them to perform great miracles and summon forth war cleric spells effortlessly. This would last, I don't know, an Elven hour, or the duration of a battle, after which a pillar of light would burst upwards and out of the cleric and he would fall to the ground unconscious, remembering nothing of his deeds.

Summoning forth a stag that stabs people with holy antlers.

These are just a couple ideas I'm coming up with on the spot. My point is, the current abilities of the Tome of Purity is basically just a way for an already-achievable miracle to be worked with little energy cost to the cleric, which, quite frankly, isn't unique whatsoever, and would kill all the RP made from said miracles otherwise (long rituals that can require multiple clerics and always require components, and exhaustion post-healing so the patient takes care of the cleric).

**** dude I don't think we want to start making demigods here.