The Nine Tomes Of Power

Wretched

44 minutes ago, Aengoth said:

**** dude I don't think we want to start making demigods here.

Yeah I was legit just pulling stuff out of my ass on the spot. Def would want some of the things I said to be nerfed, especially the Itharel-esque idea, but my dislike of the tome as it is remains.

Heck, I wouldn't even mind if it didn't have any legit crazy magical stuff. Maybe Tahariae gives visions or something when its opened to everybody around, an insight into what true Purity looks like, and wouldn't need a cleric to activate. Something to make more group RP, because as it stands, that tome is never going to be used by clerics and doesn't provide much RP other than being a special book. If it is going to be a tome of power, it having a unique /power/ seems a lil... Expected.

I do appreciate the tomes though! I am interested to see what RP they will bring.

@Ventusyr the problem with these books, POWERful or not, is that they're again, directly tied to Aengudaemons. even if benboboy said that's just an excuse to get them implemented, these books ARE NOT needed. 

i'm honestly sick of seeing this kind of ****, this is not D&D. the Schism War, the Dukes War, the war between oren and dorfs that ended a month ago were and always will be 1000000% more important than everything the GMs/LMs can come up with, as they were created by the players and based on actual RP/Hostilities that happened ON THE SERVER instead of being a mcguffin like these books are. this seems, to me, like a petty attempt to make something relevant by ramping up the power level of anything that was ever implemented on the server, as shielding off a city from every attack is completely INSANE (and also looks like a WC-denial tool, nice!)

you should stop using god-like entities as an excuse to do things, it simply takes the focus away from the actual players. sure, clerics, necros and paladins exist, but they're STILL, STILL less relevant than elves, dwarves, orcs, humans, or any other not-staff-driven community.

the point I'm trying to get across is that for a while the focus of events and storylines has been constantly kept on the three groups I mentioned above (clerics etc) , while the normal players without ET friends have been constantly ignored. these books seem to be no exeption, and even if you say that half of them won't be falling in the cliques' hands, i HIGHLY doubt it, and most people I know/am friends with share my point of view

11 hours ago, Rei ► Ricky ◄ said:

W-what?

I thought this was like an Easter hunt and they were hidden throughout the world. I guess I'm now more acquainted with Vailor than I ever have been or needed to be ;_;

Lel I was thinking the same thing.

Are any of these books able to be destroyed?

1 hour ago, UnBaed said:

Are any of these books able to be destroyed?

They can't be destroyed.

From what I've been told about differing groups, I only really have one opinion on the matter;

Please allow everyone to be able to be involved, those with the book or not, this feels like the one's with the book will have the fun while the rest can cheer from the grandstands.

@Salvo And I am in full support of what you are saying. You're right, these tomes are powerful, especially the warclaim-defense tome, and that unbalances things ridiculously. I would also rather have something more accessible to the majority of the playerbase than some tomes that will be gained and then stored in a chest somewhere never to be used, and if these tomes ARE going to be implemented, to give them more aesthetic abilities than mechanical ones. However, I am assuming that these tomes will lead to some sort of larger RP that is accessible to more people.

Also, don't include clerics in the having-ET friends category. I've been pretty outspoken in private mediums about clerics not pursuing a "protagonist" or important role, and the last semi-important event we were supposedly involved in was a cancelled eventline where we were designated as antagonists, and didn't really participate in (The harvester events! Everybody loves those, right???) because we had more important things to work on. Clerics have not benefited from the "If you're part of this group, you get to be part of events!!1!" perks, and I want it to stay that way. I'd rather more world-wide events happen than tiny events for specific groups.

However, I also think that we should give the almost-entirely new roster of the LT a chance. I know for a fact the Tome of Purity won't end up in the hands of clerics unless directly engineered by LT (don't do that LT, by the way), because we're focusing on other things, but who knows? Maybe they'll lead to something interesting that provides RP for people who aren't directly tied to orders of Aengudaemonic service.

5 hours ago, Jistuma said:

They can't be destroyed.

If I drop the book in a pool of lava... it shall never be destroyed so it'll sink to the bottom of the lava pit never to be touched? :)

1 hour ago, Evark said:

If I drop the book in a pool of lava... it shall never be destroyed so it'll sink to the bottom of the lava pit never to be touched? :)

Someone would find a way to get it back.

18 hours ago, Ventusyr said:

... Why is it the Tome of Purity does literally everything a master cleric could already do, but less efficiently (a master cleric doesn't have to wait two weeks after connecting a limb, for example)? If it can only be activated by a cleric, its literally magically useless, save for being able to do these things after a longer period of time. In comparison with the other tomes (Giant impenetrable bubble shield for Xan's, an undead army for Iblees's) it's really, really underpowered, and not unique whatsoever.

EDIT: Because negatory statements with no alternatives are annoying and unhelpful, here are some effects for the tome I'd like to propose instead:

The imbuement of holy power into a wide radius around the tome that incinerates tainted beings and heals people within the region, sealing deep wounds and bringing fallen from the brink of death. This would not require a cleric to use.

Actually bringing somebody back to life.

Turning the cleric temporarily into an "avatar" of Tahariae, clothing them in holy robes and armor impervious to taint and lifeforce tendrils and granting them to perform great miracles and summon forth war cleric spells effortlessly. This would last, I don't know, an Elven hour, or the duration of a battle, after which a pillar of light would burst upwards and out of the cleric and he would fall to the ground unconscious, remembering nothing of his deeds.

Summoning forth a stag that stabs people with holy antlers.

These are just a couple ideas I'm coming up with on the spot. My point is, the current abilities of the Tome of Purity is basically just a way for an already-achievable miracle to be worked with little energy cost to the cleric, which, quite frankly, isn't unique whatsoever, and would kill all the RP made from said miracles otherwise (long rituals that can require multiple clerics and always require components, and exhaustion post-healing so the patient takes care of the cleric).

Uh, life-force tendrils what? Also, I don't know of any Necromancers (aside one or two like Kiljaerys or Joe) who'd actually use the Necroish one, but it'd still be cool to pick up so we could write a history of the Undead and then lock it away. As for the demi-godly stuff Ventus, that itself seems pretty OP too, but I agree the Xan bubble-shield and other stuff is making me upset too tbh. Also, holy magic that destroys life-force in any way would be capable of killing anybody ha-ha. 

1 hour ago, Death Knight said:

Uh, life-force tendrils what? Also, I don't know of any Necromancers (aside one or two like Kiljaerys or Joe) who'd actually use the Necroish one, but it'd still be cool to pick up so we could write a history of the Undead and then lock it away. As for the demi-godly stuff Ventus, that itself seems pretty OP too, but I agree the Xan bubble-shield and other stuff is making me upset too tbh. Also, holy magic that destroys life-force in any way would be capable of killing anybody ha-ha. 

Yeah as I replied to Aengoth, a lot of those are hella OP. I was just coming up with any random, unique things that came off the top of my head as I was writing. I would actually be much, much more a fan of my last suggestion, where if opened it gives people in the surrounding area visions of a realm where true purity has been established, of a stag walkin around or somethin like that. It would become a cultural artifact that would provide a more religious base, rather than an OP magical one.

Perhaps all of them should be shifted to be moreso cultural artifacts than OP magic tools.

8 minutes ago, Ventusyr said:

Yeah as I replied to Aengoth, a lot of those are hella OP. I was just coming up with any random, unique things that came off the top of my head as I was writing. I would actually be much, much more a fan of my last suggestion, where if opened it gives people in the surrounding area visions of a realm where true purity has been established, of a stag walkin around or somethin like that. It would become a cultural artifact that would provide a more religious base, rather than an OP magical one.

Perhaps all of them should be shifted to be moreso cultural artifacts than OP magic tools.

I want the power in these decreased, I honestly dislike that they're all centered on AenguDaemonica and don't really add much interesting to the server as far as I know. 

On 3/30/2016 at 3:05 PM, Jaeden said:

(( -1.

I don't give this with any sort of dislike in mind towards anyone involved. I will say it firstly in this, that it's very well written; I enjoyed the read.
However, I just don't see this having any sort of purpose to benefit the enjoyment of a majority of the playerbase, in terms of roleplay. To put it simply, this isn't something that should be put on the news feed, and rather, as a lore suggestion.

With how it sounds from reading this, and correct me if I'm wrong please (I don't want to further my argument later on, if it's incorrect :p), only a select few players will actually get to experience these rather neat-looking event pieces; and not the majority of players.
This is my main, and probably only, issue with this.

If something like this is to honestly go through, I think a more wide-spread approach with the intent of catering to the majority of the playerbase would be more preferable. Otherwise, I can see this being more suitable towards the lore submission forum.

All in all / tl;dr, I liked the read. I love the writing. But this isn't something that should be posted in the announcements section, as it'll cater more towards a few select players that obtain the items, and will disappoint the rest. 

On 3/30/2016 at 3:44 PM, 吳憾戰士14 said:

no druid book booo

In all seriousness, I am of the firm belief that the lore team should shift away from writing about big bombastic super-artifacts, gods/demons, and other such things that the majority of players don't care about, and most likely won't be affected by. This piece of lore is unfortunately part of that.

If you think about it, do the majority of common elf, orc, oren or dwarf players really care that much about Gazardiel or Tahariae? Have they even heard of Apophet? These books serve only to be relevant to a relatively small, niche groups of players who frankly already have a ton of lore at their disposal.

Can we shift our focus away from Aenguldaemons most people don't care about, and focus more on writing subtler, more down-to-earth lore that more mainstream playerbase cultures can use on a daily basis?

Super-artifacts, aenguldaemons, and big events are all fine and good. But when writing lore for those things is all the LT does (or so it seems to be) then the majority of players who aren't invested in these groups, players who just want the LT to touch upon and help them develop some history and give them a base to build their cultures, feel underepresented.

tl;dr: This lore doesn't really have any appeal beyond "ooh powerful" to players who don't belong to very niche groups. LT, please expand your horizons and write for the common players culture.

On 3/30/2016 at 5:14 PM, Aengoth said:

((Eh, I guess it's alright for the niche players. Unfortunately this is likely one of those things that at the largest scale will only affect the magic based community again.

On 3/30/2016 at 5:28 PM, Salvo said:

more useless niche artifacts

nice

23 hours ago, _Jandy_ said:

People are lowkey saying they don't just want these books to be given to high elf magic users who have GM friends.

13 hours ago, Salvo said:

@Ventusyr the problem with these books, POWERful or not, is that they're again, directly tied to Aengudaemons. even if benboboy said that's just an excuse to get them implemented, these books ARE NOT needed. 

i'm honestly sick of seeing this kind of ****, this is not D&D. the Schism War, the Dukes War, the war between oren and dorfs that ended a month ago were and always will be 1000000% more important than everything the GMs/LMs can come up with, as they were created by the players and based on actual RP/Hostilities that happened ON THE SERVER instead of being a mcguffin like these books are. this seems, to me, like a petty attempt to make something relevant by ramping up the power level of anything that was ever implemented on the server, as shielding off a city from every attack is completely INSANE (and also looks like a WC-denial tool, nice!)

you should stop using god-like entities as an excuse to do things, it simply takes the focus away from the actual players. sure, clerics, necros and paladins exist, but they're STILL, STILL less relevant than elves, dwarves, orcs, humans, or any other not-staff-driven community.

the point I'm trying to get across is that for a while the focus of events and storylines has been constantly kept on the three groups I mentioned above (clerics etc) , while the normal players without ET friends have been constantly ignored. these books seem to be no exeption, and even if you say that half of them won't be falling in the cliques' hands, i HIGHLY doubt it, and most people I know/am friends with share my point of view

Today, after reading through this thread, I got a stomach ache. Now, I don't like stomach aches, because they both feel uncomfortable and are often borne of very prominent, mind-numbing displeasures; but I can't determine what exactly the root cause is. I have these right now though, that I just thought of:

1) Everyone is suffering from a 24-hour long spell of lacking reading comprehension,

2) The "MUH NICHE" meme is being unironically utilized as an arguing point

or 3) I probably just caught something at work.

I think it's the first two, because I'm a pretty cleanly guy. I'm not sure if whether the thread pointed it out too vaguely or if people just wanted to rant, but if anyone is getting heart palpatations from the mere thought of small magic groups somehow obtaining these books automatically, as if they had some higher rights than others, allow me to dispel the notion: this is not the case. As Ben stated very clearly, these books are for the players, not some players; this means everyone has an equal chance to obtain the Nine Tomes through whatever means are made available to the playerbase. The Orcs can find the Book of Dragons, and burn a forest down if they want to. The Wood Elves can find the Book of Time and peer into the past to see if their tales of yore are true or not. The Necromancers can find the Planar Dictate, and open a door into the Abyss. The Shades can find the Guardian's Grimoire, and put a shield over their base... y'all get the point.

The Nine Tomes are for everyone. They are powerful assets, artifacts to acquire and to use at ones' whim. The Necromancers have no greater right over the Necronomicon any more than the empirical Horens and the Clerics have no greater right over their bless-y book of heal-y light over the Dark Elves; all that matters is who manages to claim them all first. The rest is up to dynamism. So going on these inane tirades, bitching about how whatever the LT makes is a deterrence or pales in comparison to a couple wars is both embarrassing and a real bummer, because it shows the people who are complaining about niches and special groups getting these books don't know what they're talking about, and makes them look like a bunch of dip sticks.

Aengudaemons are used for the origins, and to explain the powers of the Nine Tomes. That is their involvement. The players decide how they are used (hopefully for productive things, like uses in warclaims or fun events to share with a bunch of people); that is the purpose of this project. Nothing more.