The Ashkeeper's Undead Sodality, the Redshrouds

Swgrclan

The Undead Redshrouds

(Legion of the Ashkeeper)

Spoiler

An order conjured from the will of a lone necromancer of old, the undead legion of the Redshrouds is a militant company of undying souls whose decayed, fragmented existence are collectively dedicated to the reign of the one whom bears the mantle of Ashkeeper. Though it bears an unsettling name as per the mention of undeath, the purpose of the unit is to train and unify wayward undead to combat greater threats to the realm and carry out the clandestine objectives of the yet-known, whispered-of order of “the Lorddom”. The dogma of the Redshrouds heavily involves conceptualization of ashes; therefore, the duties portrayed by the sodality of the Ashkeeper are devised to actively include aspects involving the remnants of the once-was, death, or the past, of which these generalities are easier defined by the duties of preserving ruins or artifacts of yore, bringing death to that which overtly threatens the living, and venerating the past and its fallen for the wisdom it imparts to those of the present.

The Redshrouds bear a defining aesthetic that allows for committed undead to keep to their own armaments and stylizations while representing the order itself. As their title implies, Redshrouds adorn cloaks of sanguine shades in order to imply their alignment with the sodality and all it stands for, and as per their devotion to hunting beings they define as “agents of chaos” (paying homage to Xionist terminology) such as mindless undead, otherworldly invaders or entities like Voidal Horrors, abominations of life or demon, and even tyrants. Though their grim visage may easily betray their intent, the purpose of the Ashkeeper’s undead legion is clear: to better the realms of mankind.

13afcb89244dc7ed.jpg

Alongside the title of Redshrouds, they are also known as Undead Hunters, Demonhunters, and very sparsely Ashen Knights, even though they’ve no direct relation to that knightship of yore besides that of purpose. The undead Redshrouds are trained vigorously to make the most of their sullen forms and confront their enemies with reckless abandon; emulating the strength and method of what the Ashkeeper references as the Old Lords, whom existed as the first godless undead that stood stalwart against the meddlings of beings beyond the mortal world. It is through the use of crimson cloaks and a brand of specially-forged swords that the Old Lords are indeed venerated and respected; and thus most, if not all among the Redshrouds are expected to make use of these weapons and most definitely the sanguine shrouds that define their alignment.

MDL_ringwraith.jpg

Those that are eligible to become Redshrouds are only militant undead; therefore, beings known as Ghouls, Gravens and Darkstalkers may take what is known as the eldritch Lamented Oath and become one with the brotherhood beyond death. The oath is as followed:

“... Verily, I submit myself to the dead;

Should I exist as flame, my fire shall insulate the ashes;

Should I exist as embers, my kindling shall covet the ashes;

Should I exist as ashen flame, my duality shall align true to the ashes;

Should I exist as shadow, my warm darkness shall preserve the ashes;

And should I betray the ashes, I too shall become them.”

Those whom are living and willing to give up their flame of life to become a Ghoul, Graven or Darkstalker (the three of which are referenced as “embers”, “shadows” or “ashen flames” respectively as the vow states) must first die before the Ashkeeper in order to prove themselves before being raised as these beings, wherein they may then take the dark oath. The Lamented Vow is an ancient rite of binding said to be extracted from the same Lorddom that the Ashkeeper intends to herald with the use of their sodality. It is therefore implied that the presence of the Redshrouds merely foretells the coming of this very same Lorddom, which under the context of the Redshroud brotherhood mission can be assumed to be similar, world-protecting goals. This is not truly defined, however; such an order has yet to arise.

The Redshrouds are bound to an olden definition of inner-order law which, like the Lamented Vow, is said to be extracted from the scriptures of the unknown Lorddom. These laws are damaged, but as the majority of them still survive with their meanings preserved, they can be discerned:

i. Thou shall not harm thy fellow a-hen-a-here-t, w-t-er -ive -r -ndead.

ii. Thou shall not steal from thy fellow ash-n-adher-nt.

iii. Thou shall not spite thy fellow as-en--dherent in excess or with intent to insult dearly.

iv. Thou shall not seek to kill or destroy thy fellow -shen-adheren-.

v. Thou shall coexist with thy adherent brothers and sisters in peace, if

not in respect for one-another.

vi. Thou shall not embed the seeds of gods in the Lo-d--m, nor seek to spread their

venom through its ranks.

vii. (Ineligible).

viii. (Ineligible).

ix. (Ineligible).

x. (Ineligible).

Through scriptures written by the Ashkeeper Abdiel himself, the founder of this red legion of the fallen, the purpose of the Redshrouds can be clearly defined:

i. Thou shall hunt the true-wicked; the world-invaders; the unnaturalities of life, demons; the stirrers of chaos; the breakers of Man and adherents of dark gods; the dark magi whom seek to stir ill-will; the undead whom terrorize with reckless abandon; and those deemed the enemy of the Red Sodality.

ii. Thou shall know the Ashkeeper as thy good keeper, for he leads thee, gives thee purpose, and lessens thy painful cravings with bounties of Lifeforce and restorations of thy forlorn form.

iii. Thou shall pay homage to the Old Lords, and reflect them by thy red cloth and granted blades.

iv. Thou shall delve into ruins, and behold what they hide; thou shall expunge the undoers of ruins and preserve the history which their visage implies; thou shall protect histories and annals extracted from these ruins, and thus pay respects to the ashes of the past; thou shall honor the once-was, and learn from the mistakes of antiquity.

v. Thou shall hold back the Old Dark.

~:;:~

The Purpose

The primary goal behind the Redshrouds is to establish a basic order of alignment-gray undead soldiers whom follow the command of a simplistic hierarchy. The design of the sodality compounds a lot on the concept of gray moral alignment in a way where the guild could be designated as an “anti-hero” faction; the majority of it is comprised of undead beings, but they are bound to an oath which motivates them to act as vanguards of mortality as a whole. They are similar to the Marked Men in this regard, where they seek to pursue unnatural creatures, involve themselves in expeditions expected to promise some kind of powerful or dangerous boon, and to defend the world from over-arching threats.

This demands that the Redshrouds defy their original nature the best they may; to act as antagonists. It is expected that there will be trouble in this effort - the undead as a whole have been known to terrorize the lands which the descendents have roamed, which will make convincing everyone IC  that they are indeed not an antagonist quite the struggle if they are perceived as such initially. In the end, it’s up to the players to decide how they want to interact with the Ashkeeper’s legion; the rest will follow.

Membership Directory

There exists a simplistic, three-rank hierarchy in the Undead Sodality; the Ashkeeper, whom acts as the primary leader, the Redshrouds, whom are the bulk of the legion itself, and the Marked, whom are undetermined applicants. The Ashkeeper is a title intended to be kept by a necromancer - one able to raise undead such as Ghouls and Darkstalkers, both of which make up 2/3rds of the order’s population by default.

The Ashkeeper’s mantle bears a much deeper meaning than to merely lead their legion, and as cited in the guild’s details, they hold the role of heralding what is known as the Lorddom -- meaning the Redshrouds act as a prelude force of what is to come. The Redshrouds are undead soldiers trained to fight worldly threats known as “agents of chaos”, explore and protect old ruins and sites of yore, and to preserve eldritch, dark knowledge. The Ashkeeper assumes the role of leading them, satiating their cravings of Lifeforce (which Gravens thankfully do not have) and mending their sullen forms so they may act as legitimate threats to those they may oppose, as well as to mantain other common functions necessary for interaction with others. The Marked are applicants whose living characters are “watched” and, if deemed worthyby the Ashkeeper, are either confronted or kidnapped so they may become one with the brotherhood of the damned. This allows for a fluid, organic means of recruitment, where roleplay is involved to discern whether a character is suitable to serve the sodality.

As only the living can be designated as Marked, undead of the three preferred races (Ghouls, Gravens, Darkstalkers) have a more streamlined induction; this is because the partial purpose of the legion is to contain undead and force them to adopt an orderly existence so the world may not be terrorized by them. Those who are living experience a slower process because they willingly submit themselves to the Ashkeeper’s reign, and therefore undergo the process of being Marked after the player applies so their abilities may be judged.

The member roster is as thus:

The Ashkeeper:

Abdiel Ipos [Swgrclan]

The Redshrouds:

Varron (Darkstalker) [Bokratz]

Drauch (Darkstalker) [BakkaOppai]

Lisbeth (Ghoul) [Uboshk]

The Marked:

Lepidus [TavernLich]

Van Ashok Arsden [Avellach]

Ashton [Noqda]

Wulf Targric [White_Wolf]

Vylindrel [Jentos]

Ehierir [Corvoo]

Arald Carrick [NJBB]
Vanlor Severulya [_Riven]
Hauxir  [JakeFSF]

Aech Woodlan [SpaceCoreMC]

Application Process

What is thy name?

What is thy soulname (MC name)?

What is thy race?
What is thy age?
Art thou Undead?

If so, what form doth thou take?
If not, art thou willing to die to become one with the Redshrouds?

What is thy mastered profession of craftsmanship?

What is thy mastered martial profession?

Art thou godless?

[ The documented form of the thread, including referential images at the bottom:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mM5hmReC6qXy6F8CDk6axS_aXB5fBdQh36k_eMk4crY/edit?usp=sharing ]

Updates:

4/6/16, 4:23 PM;

- The first applicants have been determined and their names added to the roster.

Faction Relations:

(To-be-updated).

Relevant Threads:

(Unoccupied).

Looking For:

- Artists for skins

- Builders

Gareth Hawthorne simply says, "Fear the Old Dark." 

Faenor sits behind his master echoing the statement

What is thy name? 'Lepidus'

What is thy soulname (MC name)? TavernLich
What is thy age? I haven't a clue, nowadays.
Art thou Undead? No.
If not, art thou willing to die to become one with the Redshrouds? Depends whether or not business is good.

What is thy mastered profession of craftsmanship? I'm a proficient woodworker and an adept lumberjack. I think of myself as a sort of tailor, I dabble here and there with this and that.

What is thy mastered martial profession? A silver tongue trumps an iron sword.

Art thou godless? I revere no deity other than that miracle that fuels and proves catalyst to Man's blood, labor and sweat.

OOC:

With this application, I hope to be able to offer my services as a skinner. Below you will find examples of my work, excluding private commissions.

http://www.planetminecraft.com/member/bartyap/

What is thy name? Van Ashok Arsden

What is thy soulname (MC name)? Avellach
What is thy age? 59
Art thou Undead? I am not.

If not, art thou willing to die to become one with the Redshrouds? I am.

What is thy mastered profession of craftsmanship? I'm a practitioner of many trades, but master of none.

What is thy mastered martial profession? Steel for men, aurum for monsters.

Art thou godless? I celebrate the protectors of man, be they divine, undead, or mortal.

What is thy name? - Ashton.

What is thy soulname (MC name)? - Noqda.

What is thy age? - 25.

Art thou Undead? - No, I am not.

If not, art thou willing to die to become one with the Redshrouds? - I am.

What is thy mastered profession of craftsmanship? - I am masterful in the arts of tinkering.

What is thy mastered martial profession? - I am well trained in the use plate armor, various weapons (e.g. swords, axes, bows), and how to use and repair siege equipment.

Art thou godless? - Yes, as no divine being has proved capable of protecting man.

[OOC: I'm a pretty good builder for some things, so I'd be able to offer help in that regard as well.]

What is thy name?:

Wulf Targric

White_Wolf

What is thy age?

Aye i be old Enough that is for sure, certainly getting on in my years.

Art thou Undead?

Nay, i am not.

N/A

The life i once lived is over now, there is nothing left for me in life. Maybe my death will be of benefit to someone.

I have none.

I have been trained in sword and shield.

Art thou godless?

Aye, i sure am. The Aenguls and Daemons have done nothing for me.

What is thy name? Vylindrel (Feral olog)

What is thy soulname (MC name)? Jentos
What is thy age? 238
Art thou Undead? Naaahrr

If not, art thou willing to die to become one with the Redshouds? Only if such is worth it

What is thy mastered profession of craftsmanship? I dig the ancient tunnels

What is thy mastered martial profession? Mauling heads vith my claws

Art thou godless? YaaaAAaass... Since my mashter is dead

What is thy name?

Ehierir

Corvoo
What is thy age?

Art thou Undead?

No.

N/A

I am indeed.

Blacksmithing/Mining

Sword fighting.
Art thou godless?

Godless indeed.

What is thy name? Varron

What is thy soulname (MC name)? Bokratz
What is thy age? 36.
Art thou Undead? Yes.

If so, what form doth thou take? Darkstalker.
If not, art thou willing to die to become one with the Redshrouds? --

What is thy mastered profession of craftsmanship? I've none. Willing to do something of required.

What is thy mastered martial profession? Ranged, polearms, shield, blade, counter-armor,  and small arms.

Art thou godless? Fear the old dark. The long night comes.

15 hours ago, Redxophos said:

What is thy name? 'Lepidus'

What is thy soulname (MC name)? TavernLich
What is thy age? I haven't a clue, nowadays.
Art thou Undead? No.
If not, art thou willing to die to become one with the Redshrouds? Depends whether or not business is good.

What is thy mastered profession of craftsmanship? I'm a proficient woodworker and an adept lumberjack. I think of myself as a sort of tailor, I dabble here and there with this and that.

What is thy mastered martial profession? A silver tongue trumps an iron sword.

Art thou godless? I revere no deity other than that miracle that fuels and proves catalyst to Man's blood, labor and sweat.

OOC:

With this application, I hope to be able to offer my services as a skinner. Below you will find examples of my work, excluding private commissions.

http://www.planetminecraft.com/member/bartyap/

15 hours ago, Avellac'h said:

What is thy name? Van Ashok Arsden

What is thy soulname (MC name)? Avellach
What is thy age? 59
Art thou Undead? I am not.

If not, art thou willing to die to become one with the Redshrouds? I am.

What is thy mastered profession of craftsmanship? I'm a practitioner of many trades, but master of none.

What is thy mastered martial profession? Steel for men, aurum for monsters.

Art thou godless? I celebrate the protectors of man, be they divine, undead, or mortal.

14 hours ago, Noqda said:

What is thy name? - Ashton.

What is thy soulname (MC name)? - Noqda.

What is thy age? - 25.

Art thou Undead? - No, I am not.

If not, art thou willing to die to become one with the Redshrouds? - I am.

What is thy mastered profession of craftsmanship? - I am masterful in the arts of tinkering.

What is thy mastered martial profession? - I am well trained in the use plate armor, various weapons (e.g. swords, axes, bows), and how to use and repair siege equipment.

Art thou godless? - Yes, as no divine being has proved capable of protecting man.

[OOC: I'm a pretty good builder for some things, so I'd be able to offer help in that regard as well.]

7 hours ago, The White Wolf said:

What is thy name?:

Wulf Targric

White_Wolf

What is thy age?

Aye i be old Enough that is for sure, certainly getting on in my years.

Art thou Undead?

Nay, i am not.

N/A

The life i once lived is over now, there is nothing left for me in life. Maybe my death will be of benefit to someone.

I have none.

I have been trained in sword and shield.

Art thou godless?

Aye, i sure am. The Aenguls and Daemons have done nothing for me.

7 hours ago, Jentos said:

What is thy name? Vylindrel (Feral olog)

What is thy soulname (MC name)? Jentos
What is thy age? 238
Art thou Undead? Naaahrr

If not, art thou willing to die to become one with the Redshouds? Only if such is worth it

What is thy mastered profession of craftsmanship? I dig the ancient tunnels

What is thy mastered martial profession? Mauling heads vith my claws

Art thou godless? YaaaAAaass... Since my mashter is dead

6 hours ago, Corvoo said:

What is thy name?

Ehierir

Corvoo
What is thy age?

Art thou Undead?

No.

N/A

I am indeed.

Blacksmithing/Mining

Sword fighting.
Art thou godless?

Godless indeed.

The living characters of these applicants have been Marked; they will be subject to an observation of two weeks' time until a final judgement is made.

5 hours ago, ArcanicFable said:

What is thy name? Varron

What is thy soulname (MC name)? Bokratz
What is thy age? 36.
Art thou Undead? Yes.

If so, what form doth thou take? Darkstalker.
If not, art thou willing to die to become one with the Redshrouds? --

What is thy mastered profession of craftsmanship? I've none. Willing to do something of required.

What is thy mastered martial profession? Ranged, polearms, shield, blade, counter-armor,  and small arms.

Art thou godless? Fear the old dark. The long night comes.

Accepted. Varron nows dwells among the Redshrouds.

What is thy name?  Lisbeth

What is thy soulname (MC name)? Uboshk
What is thy age? 44
Art thou Undead? No
If not, art thou willing to die to become one with the Redshrouds? Ja

What is thy mastered profession of craftsmanship? None.

What is thy mastered martial profession? Lance, Morning Star,  Warmace, Shield

Art thou godless? Ja

What is thy name? Drauch.

What is thy soulname (MC name)? BakkaOppai

What is thy race? One of the long night.
What is thy age? 90.
Art thou Undead? Of course.

If so, what form doth thou take? One of the knights of bone.
If not, art thou willing to die to become one with the Redshrouds? N/A.

What is thy mastered profession of craftsmanship? Aengulic Chef, Masterful Leatherworker, Masterful Farmer.

What is thy mastered martial profession? Soldier.

Art thou godless? Of course.

18 hours ago, Rudi_ said:

What is thy name?  Lisbeth

What is thy soulname (MC name)? Uboshk
What is thy age? 44
Art thou Undead? No
If not, art thou willing to die to become one with the Redshrouds? Ja

What is thy mastered profession of craftsmanship? None.

What is thy mastered martial profession? Lance, Morning Star,  Warmace, Shield

Art thou godless? Ja

Lisbeth has been Marked.

17 hours ago, weeaboo said:

What is thy name? Drauch.

What is thy soulname (MC name)? BakkaOppai

What is thy race? One of the long night.
What is thy age? 90.
Art thou Undead? Of course.

If so, what form doth thou take? One of the knights of bone.
If not, art thou willing to die to become one with the Redshrouds? N/A.

What is thy mastered profession of craftsmanship? Aengulic Chef, Masterful Leatherworker, Masterful Farmer.

What is thy mastered martial profession? Soldier.

Art thou godless? Of course.

Accepted. Drauch now dwells among the Redshrouds.