The Corrosion of Immortal Essence

excited

They seem quite OP. Their weaknesses really don't cover for their strengths, they aren't beholden to anyone or anything, and the lore behind them, to me, looks somewhat weak. 

Let's compare them to Darkstalkers, a nice, well-balanced race.

Firstly, similarities; both are weak to holy magic, and Fi' magic, etc. etc. Both can wear armor and can be excellent swordsmen. Darkstalkers can drain life-force, albeit weaker than a Necromancer could. They're also both created by Necromancers, although other steps are needed for Nephilim.

Now let's look at how Nephilim are ridiculously more powerful.

They can use many Dark Magics, while if a Darkstalker did so, they'd die. Nephilim also have no Phylactery, as Darkstalkers do. Nephilim cannot physically be permanently killed by any means except suicide. Unlike Darkstalkers, they have no master whose whim must be followed. Not to mention they have an enhanced healing factor, and the usage of magic doesn't weaken them in any way. They're not even weak to Aurum.

For what little my opinion matters, it's a -1 from me.

25 minutes ago, drfate786 said:

This isn't dark souls inspired, you ripped it off from Diablo...last time I wrote lore like this it was denied for being "Too simular to the undercity". This shouldn't be any different. 

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Nephalem

Examples of such, please otherwise irrelevant. 

Aside from that, I see both side of the scale. Although I will be repping it to show support for the lore as I believe it's a rather extraordinary idea, it has it's flaws. 

• Ability to maintain physical strength alongside with Necromancy
  • The ability to, in theory, hold 4 dark arts and maintain ANY strength.
  • The idea of making them 'fair to fight' doesn't not remain true as anyone with this said art could EASILY necro-drain and stab and run. 

My main issue is the physical aspect, however if it's tweaked or comes with it's fair share of debuffs then I believe it should be implemented or atleast given a trial. 

33 minutes ago, drfate786 said:

This isn't dark souls inspired, you ripped it off from Diablo...last time I wrote lore like this it was denied for being "Too simular to the undercity". This shouldn't be any different. 

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Nephalem

Well, see, the nephilim are actually an old idea. Diablo just used history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephilim

1 minute ago, Avellac'h said:

Well, see, the nephilim are actually an old idea. Diablo just used history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephilim

Yes, this makes it unoriginal and cliche due to it's overuse. 

This lore is quite balanced after reading through all the changes that have been implemented over the last month. I still really don't understand why it would be called OP when there are entities out in LotC that could easily crush them. They have a weakness to gold and can be killed like any other mortal. The constant bashing of this in saying it's copied from something else, or that it doesn't drain the strength of a dark arts user at all is just ridiculous. It's already been stated on how most other beings that were like the Wraiths, who essentially you couldn't even kill by normal means, say with the stab of an iron sword would do nothing. Now with this being said, most dark beings are actually weaker then holy arts and normal people. So it's not like there would be a ton of people running around as these creatures. I'm just disappointed when I see some individuals lashing out with their own personal dislike for something that fits so well into the lore of LotC.

Aside from that, this gets my full support.

3 hours ago, drfate786 said:

Yes, this makes it unoriginal and cliche due to it's overuse. 

aerial's nephilim are nothing like any of the aforementioned, they just share a name.

diablo: "Nephalem are humanity's forebears. The offpring of angel and demon, their existence would forever alter the balance of power in the Great Conflict."

historical: "The Nephilim were offspring of the "sons of God" and "daughters of men" before the Deluge according to Genesis 6:4; the name is also used in reference to giants who inhabited Canaan at the time of the Israelite conquest of Canaan according to Numbers 13:33. A similar biblical Hebrew word with different vowel-sounds is used in Ezekiel 32:27 to refer to dead Philistine Warriors.

aerialkebab's: interesting spookmen akin to dark souls.

do a little research next time instead of spouting "w-well aerial's idea shares a name with something, he MUST be copying it!" just because your idea got denied.

3 minutes ago, kincaid said:

aerial's nephilim are nothing like any of the aforementioned, they just share a name.

diablo: "Nephalem are humanity's forebears. The offpring of angel and demon, their existence would forever alter the balance of power in the Great Conflict."

historical: "The Nephilim were offspring of the "sons of God" and "daughters of men" before the Deluge according to Genesis 6:4; the name is also used in reference to giants who inhabited Canaan at the time of the Israelite conquest of Canaan according to Numbers 13:33. A similar biblical Hebrew word with different vowel-sounds is used in Ezekiel 32:27 to refer to dead Philistine Warriors.

aerialkebab's: interesting spookmen akin to dark souls.

do a little research next time instead of spouting "w-well aerial's idea shares a name with something, he MUST be copying it!" just because your idea got denied.

My idea got denied for having a simular name and concept then that of a existing videogame this is no different. I can also see this being severely misused in many ways.

8 minutes ago, drfate786 said:

My idea got denied for having a simular name and concept then that of a existing videogame this is no different. I can also see this being severely misused in many ways.

Your lore was denied because you more or less ripped it directly from another setting.

Just now, Voorhis said:

Your lore was denied because you more or less ripped it directly from another setting.

Just because my lore got denied doesn't mean I'm incorrect about this. 

2 hours ago, Cneyele said:

This lore is quite balanced after reading through all the changes that have been implemented over the last month. I still really don't understand why it would be called OP when there are entities out in LotC that could easily crush them. They have a weakness to gold and can be killed like any other mortal. The constant bashing of this in saying it's copied from something else, or that it doesn't drain the strength of a dark arts user at all is just ridiculous. It's already been stated on how most other beings that were like the Wraiths, who essentially you couldn't even kill by normal means, say with the stab of an iron sword would do nothing. Now with this being said, most dark beings are actually weaker then holy arts and normal people. So it's not like there would be a ton of people running around as these creatures. I just dislike it when I see some individuals lashing out with their own personal dislike for something that fits so well into the lore of LotC.

Aside from that, this gets my full support.

I disagree. Firstly, they're not weak to gold; only in the spectral form where they probably wouldn't be doing any fighting anyway.

And there's nothing out there that could easily defeat something like this, unless you're talking about Keepers or something. The only people who'd stand a chance against something with enhanced strength, who can't be permanently killed, who can use magic in conjunction with swords, and has better healing powers than a normal person are holy magic users. Sadly, the vast majority of players can't use holy magic.

Wraiths were/are more balanced than these Nephilim; they lost their powers in sunlight, were harmed by gold, and pretty much had  to be evil, or they'd be lore-breaking, while Nephilim can literally raise families.

5 minutes ago, Toodles78 said:

I disagree. Firstly, they're not weak to gold; only in the spectral form where they probably wouldn't be doing any fighting anyway.

And there's nothing out there that could easily defeat something like this, unless you're talking about Keepers or something. The only people who'd stand a chance against something with enhanced strength, who can't be permanently killed, who can use magic in conjunction with swords, and has better healing powers than a normal person are holy magic users. Sadly, the vast majority of players can't use holy magic.

Wraiths were/are more balanced than these Nephilim; they lost their powers in sunlight, were harmed by gold, and pretty much had  to be evil, or they'd be lore-breaking, while Nephilim can literally raise families.

It says in the initial post that they do infact possess a weakness to gold and can be killed as any regular person would be alongside this weakness to gold and holy magics. They also do not possess 'healing powers' beyond how their capability to resurrect which is mechanically the same as if you were to die and respawn at the Cloud Temple.

1 minute ago, Voorhis said:

It says in the initial post that they do infact possess a weakness to gold and they can be killed as any regular person would be alongside this weakness to gold and holy magics. They also do not possess 'healing powers' beyond how their capability to resurrect which is mechanically the same as if you were to die and respawn at the Cloud Temple.

From the post: " Nephilim can suffer something called a Greater Death where, instead of being PKed in circumstances where a reg. player character would, their body is broken and they become Enwraithed. This is a spectral, wraith-like form where they become weak to gold and all forms of Aengulic/Holy Magic, and must remain this way for three months until their corporeal body regenerates. "

>become weak to gold

Also from the post: " Once Nephilim undergo the Awakening they possess a dormant healing factor which ensures that they are capable of holding a slightly broader survival rate than normal people. Agile and ambidextrous, they hold great physical strength not unlike that which the Wraiths held. "

9 minutes ago, Toodles78 said:

Where did you get the idea they could not be killed unless by a Keeper? It's as if you're killing an Orc. You do not need holy super powers.

3 minutes ago, Toodles78 said:

From the post: " Nephilim can suffer something called a Greater Death where, instead of being PKed in circumstances where a reg. player character would, their body is broken and they become Enwraithed. This is a spectral, wraith-like form where they become weak to gold and all forms of Aengulic/Holy Magic, and must remain this way for three months until their corporeal body regenerates. "

>become weak to gold

Also from the post: " Once Nephilim undergo the Awakening they possess a dormant healing factor which ensures that they are capable of holding a slightly broader survival rate than normal people. Agile and ambidextrous, they hold great physical strength not unlike that which the Wraiths held. "

Broader survival rate in the sense that they are less susceptible to wounds. This doesn't imply that they regenerate midst combat, or anything of that sort. They simply recover from their wounds more quickly than a normal person would. If you were to run one through, behead them, or whatever else you might do - it will kill them like it would a normal person. As for the snippet regarding gold, I believe Aerial must have forgot to make his revisions to the documents. They are meant to be susceptible to gold at all times, but moreso even when they are Enwraithed.