(1/6/2020) A Cow's Art Dump

CowsGoMoo

hi kenny

62676fa622074d878cf9e0f7fe3a36d2.png

Here's another drawing. Started with me trying to figure out possible fashionable things people might wear to keep the sun off their face, and then it spiraled completely  out of control. It was supposed to be a "quick" sketch!

First drawing in a while of one of my characters, tried to draw my old character Dom wearing a chaperone (the thingy Roche wears in the Witcher). 

Here's how my portrait drawings of Domelvia has evolved over the years... 

d8e2c418f2d94dffb551d3d1341e22f0.png

Weird how I began to use more and more color, and then BAM! I'm back to grayscale again... It's mostly 'cause I need to get better at value before I tackle color again.

On 2/12/2017 at 7:46 PM, Genevieve-Chan said:

papabless is that Istabrak yer watching

Yessery. She's been super helpful for drawing faces! 

On 2/17/2017 at 8:17 PM, CowsGoMoo said:

Yessery. She's been super helpful for drawing faces! 

Join her google community if you haven't already it's a blessing!!!

On 2/18/2017 at 6:45 PM, Genevieve-Chan said:

Join her google community if you haven't already it's a blessing!!!

I haven't joined her google community yet, though I'll probably join it sometime in the future, maybe, idk.

Anyways, I haven't posted anything for a while, so here's an update on a few lazily cropped WIPs I've been working on. 

Rein

543ba791b84b401b8c6fe7c271fb289f.png

Ketas

b8746fe0c21041628e2e82e3de2f9855.png

Will I ever finish them? Probably not. But it's the practice and process that matters, I guess. Or at least, that's what I like telling myself.

these are gorgeous!

do you have any pointers for working in black and white in terms of contrast? it's something i've struggled with and you got it down to a science lmao

On 3/15/2017 at 2:49 PM, claireanne said:

these are gorgeous!

do you have any pointers for working in black and white in terms of contrast? it's something i've struggled with and you got it down to a science lmao

Thank you!

There's nothing I can say that can't be explained better by other people, so here's also some resources that helped me a ton, and an excuse to fan-girl a metric ton while procrastinating during dead week:

A+ Youtubers

- istebrak: https://www.youtube.com/user/Istebrak 

Infinitely helpful in explaining to me how to think more in 3D, and not in 2D. Talks about values, colors, lighting, blocking stuff in, forms, all kinds of stuff. Does great critiques that are flipping long but well worth your patience.  Can be heavy handed in the way she critiques others, but that's one of the reasons why she's great. Go to her if you want to get better at contrast, form, shapes, whatever, or just general tips on just about anything. 

- Sycra https://www.youtube.com/user/Sycra 

Love this dude. Charming, down-to-earth, and is constantly looking for new ways to improve himself. If you're looking to improve, take a look at his tutorial videos (he has a lot of other stuff on his channel, equally fun to watch, but I'd start from his tutorials first). Tutorials mostly focus on anatomy (which I think is one of his strongest points) and how to simplify it down. Also, he has one of the best videos on how to draw boobs (seriously). Also talks about drawing processes -- how to practice, getting out of your comfort zone, stuff like that, which is also helpful. Go to him if you need help with anatomy, simplifying things down, or how to practice and improve your art. And boobs.

- Proko https://www.youtube.com/user/ProkoTV

Super charming. Also, great breakdown of anatomy, but can be a bit dense with his explanation of muscle groups and stuff. Though, he does simplify things down for you too. Go to him if you need help with anatomy, but want more details about bone, muscle groups, and how things connect and work together in the body. 

- FZD School https://www.youtube.com/user/FZDSCHOOL/videos

Focus on environmentals, designing for cinema, also has flipping long videos. Go to him if you want pointers on environmental design.

A+ Websites

- Cntrl+Paint https://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Great website for colors, values, and other fundamentals for drawing (which I completely lack!!!). Also talks about how to use photoshop, which is useful also.

- Draw a Box http://drawabox.com/

Great website, though very infrequently updated. Good tips on environmentals, shapes, forms, human figures and stuff.

A+ Books

- Figure Drawing, Design and Invention - Michael Hampton

All-time favourite anatomy book. Haven't finished it though (it's flipping looong), but it's been infinitely helpful in breaking that shizz down! In my opinion, the best resource for getting better at anatomy!

Human Anatomy for Artists, The Elements of Form - Eliot Goldfinger

Great resource. If you want to really go knee deep in anatomy with all of the muscles and bones and shizz. Good for obsessively getting to know anatomy. That ****'s too dense for me to read really fast, but from what I can tell it is also A+.

This was an overkill, I know, but I've always wanted to do something like this. Hope this was helpful! Sorry about the overt focus on anatomy... that's something I'm desperately trying to get better at atm.

Well, just did a study in color. Here's the process!

65M6Fck.gif

First time using color in like... forever. So I'm kinda proud with how this came out. Very rough and messy, because I tried to be quick (and it was dead week). 

d137f5ffb5c24efd8ff19dfd9d776243.png

Well, here's another update, and another timelapse.

652d7679327b409b843c9d46e97a6cf5.png

J2uI5Uy.png

This portrait took me way faster than that black and white one from a long time ago. Almost half the amount of time (8 minute timelapse video vs. 4 minute timelapse video). Pretty happy with how this one came out, though once again, my colors are ever so slightly off and muddy, but I'm trying to get better with that. I only used one layer, and tried to be really rough. I'm going to try and get into physical oil paintings, so this was kinda just me trying to test the water via digital media. 

Another "quick" portrait study I did today:

63FeQnk9RQ_EsX4-O8-U-g.png

I tried to record a time lapse for this one, but... I fucked up a billion times, and now the video's corrupted, so that's that. 

Spent probably 4-5 hours on this. This one was a huge struggle! The skin color was very difficult, and color in general was probably my main focus in this study. 

Here's an environmental study I did a while ago:

apc8HY9KRFGpLtUG6kOPQg.png

Mostly tried to focus on colors.

Here's an unfinished duo character drawing:

1OFfAO8qSqubxKbnjFUUAw.png

I really need to work on my line art. :C

On 9/24/2017 at 11:58 PM, Dante said:

haha nice! keep go!

nerd, haha just kidding. Thank you!

Really talented, very impressive indeed!

Well. About time to update this thread again.

Dom (Fall, 2017)

6HrTK2skRwmnsPHSeFkasw.png

Started this drawing back in... October. Unfinished, because I have a fear of commitment.

Elrich (Fall, 2017)

ruE-64oRSyCWlGn3euoPOg.png

Wanted to turn one of my sketches into a portrait -- so I did. Still not done, I only added a rough layer of color, so everything's a bit unsaturated.

Will I ever finish it? Well, looking at my past record of finishing things... No. No, I probably will not.

Cowboy Study (Fall 2017)

KDadRqJnQ4in3Xcqj0r95g.png

I actually finished something! And... it was just a movie still study from reference. ****.

Still proud of this one. Finally, I got skin color right

And here's a little WIP of something I started working on yesterday.

XiHTjFJTR46wi20-xgkPxQ.png

Seems counterproductive to spend so much time trying to get human skin color right, and then jumping immediately back to weird skin tones, but screw it. Tried to gave him Chinese facial features -- and you'd think a Chinese guy can draw Chinese faces pretty naturally, but I guess I don't draw Asian people often enough. That's something I should work on.