[Creature] Echilun, Emissaries of Pandemonium

TavernLich

“For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, and slander.” - Mathew 15:19

Echilun, Emissaries of Pandemonium

0aa60728cbab961bcc4f7db414b6bec1-d6jpmxv.jpg

A wizened man rocked himself by the fireplace, he tended to the flames with one hand while a child’s head occupied the other, cradled in his embraced. “Tell me a story. . .” the child murmured, his eyes already half closed. “Where shall I begin. . .” the man stared into the fire and shuddered before reaching for a nearby book, “Tucked away in the verdant thickets of Vailor, life drew to a standstill. The forest hummed with life yet, in a way, lacked it so. Creatures went through the motions: eat, sleep, repeat. Eat, sleep, repeat. Spring, and birds took to the trees, their nests safely ensconced between knots and nooks and crevices. Summer, and the sun beats down on those unfortunate or lucky enough to endure it. Autumn, and the leaves browned and made themselves scarce. Winter, and the last rays of sunlight dimmed, a poignant reminder of what lied ahead. Repeat.”

The child looked up with a hint of interest, his milky eyes locked with old man’s as he continued, “Shadows stirred in the background, eyes that were once sullied with distant disinterest now shone anew, lit with a malevolent fervor. Those nearby, around them, found themselves preyed upon. Not by men bearing swords, not by those beasts of yore, but rather by chaos. The forces of Nature gathered and Her children amassed under her call, She demanded change. Punishment. Pandemonium. And thus, the Echilun were birthed from the realm’s womb. In their wake, disorder was never too far beyond; with their whispers the hearts of men turned black and with their breath kingdoms fell to ruin.” Now it was the child’s turn to shudder, he trembled in the man’s arms, “Worry not, it’s but a story. The good guy wins in the end and banishes them,” the man shuts the book with a wink and the child responds with a meek smile and soon enters a sudden slumber. The old man turned to his right and stared out at the permafrost that plagued his yard, a brief blast of wind raked his hair and he felt the cold sting the tip of his ears. A darkness manifested beside the man, then another and another until seven, shadowy heads danced and flickered in the fiery light. In lieu of flesh, they bore a shawl stitched from the shadows that wrapped down their damned figure. They lurched forward and descended upon their prey with a fierce vehemence.

Synopsis

The Echilun are embodiments of Man’s primal nature, what they seek to bury deep within themselves while all the while lusting to unleash them upon their brethren, they are as follow: avarice, envy, strife, sloth, gluttony, lust and ego. Fueled by their desires to cause such, the Echilun make it their prime directive to inflict these upon the descendants with reckless abandon. Armed with a silver tongue and a mind riddled with schemes and manipulation, they are forces to be reckoned with, given they first gain momentum. Wherever Man resides, the Echilun dwell within their shadows and whenever Man acts in accordance to the beast within, the Echilun will be their to feed and sow the seeds of pandemonium.

Abilities, Behaviors and Appearances

• The Echilun will always work toward the betterment of their assigned nature, be it strife or avarice, etc.

• Echilun, as embodiments of Man’s nature, can never truly be killed. However, they can very much be expelled or repelled, with the server’s usual death-rules applying.

• As usual with malignant entities, they harbor an aversion toward aurum, even ferrum, and holy magic of any sort (Xan, clericism, so on and so forth). All of these will render their forms useless and would be extremely painful to the touch.

• Echilun bear the uncanny ability to change their appearance at will, ranging from a deteriorating halfling to an uruk in his prime. However, to change in between appearance will take the course of an entire Elven (IRL) day and will not give them the strengths and weaknesses of their chosen appearance, meaning an Echilun taking the form of an Uruk will lack their strength. They are also able to become invisible, only seen through the gifted eyes of moongazers, farseers, etc. In addition, they are granted powers of illusion.

• If they are not in the form of a descendant, they will take the default look which will look much like a shadow wrapped in dark clothing (shawls, robes, etc).

• Echilun are unable to attack, harm or kill anyone or anything directly. In order to achieve these, they must rely on the manipulation of others. They can still, however, feel and touch objects much like any normal descendant.

• Echilun must always work toward their nature (strife, avarice, etc) and are unable to act on anything else unless it has an evident or

• direct connection with their nature.

Why do they not harm, attack or kill?

Echilun view the races as a source of fuel and energy. They rely on them to sustain themselves, and as such will refrain from attacking them and will only allow this when done by another's hands (i.e. the manipulations of Strife, an Echilun, causes a man to attack another). This is also geared to assist the player RPing the Echilun to better create RP, not disrupt or defect from it, and allow those they interact with to develop.

Art

wraith_homm_iii_by_soft_h-d98z0h0.png

Red Lines/ Cons:

• Echilun are able to feel pain much like any other descendant but lack the need to eat, breath, etc.

• They cannot directly attack, harm or kill an individual, this includes traps, etc. They must rely on the manipulation of others.

• They are fueled by their nature (avarice, etc) and refusing to spread it for a prolonged period of time will result in their demise.

• They do not gain the strengths and weaknesses of the descendant race.

• The rules for illusion still apply, if illusions are illogical they are likely to break.

• Damage or extensive pain will disrupt and eventually render their false appearances null.

• They cannot learn magic of any kind (void, deity, etc)

Reasoning Behind their Creation

As an avid RPer, for a few years now, I’ve found it hard to find creatures that induce change in a character. They may be fun but most events or interactions with non-descendant creatures seem to have a superficial ending, most being either combat related; this made it difficult for others and I, as I’ve seen, to have our characters change and evolve without doing it ourselves or coming up with a sub-par excuse to have them change. These creatures, the Echilun, were created with the intention to provide normal players a greater chance of achieving that dynamic RP that drives character development, in fact their survivability and entire RP revolves around their interactions with other characters and whether or not they succeed in changing them.

Want to Play an Echilun?

Great! Should this lore be accepted, I’ll be making a post to recruit players into playing at least seven Echilun. Those who post first and show quality and effort in their “application” will have the most likely chance of being able to play one, which means the entire process will be based on merit and luck (they sort of contrast, I know) to make sure there is little to no bias. If a player falls into a inactivity (at least three weeks of hiatus) then their Echilun will be PKed and will allow others the chance to play.

Q and A/ Thoughts? Comments?

[Empty for Now]

That's what I call short and sweet. It's something different, instead of a super sayian killer it's more RP driven.  

I like it. I'd be really interested in playing one of these- although on a Card, what race would they fall under?

I'm thinking they should either have 'Unset' or 'Necrolyte' race; either way they shouldn't do too much fighting, both in RP and PVP.

IMPORTANT: Added why they refrain from attacking/ killing directly. OOC and RP reason.

1 hour ago, Redxophos said:

I'm thinking they should either have 'Unset' or 'Necrolyte' race; either way they shouldn't do too much fighting, both in RP and PVP.

IMPORTANT: Added why they refrain from attacking/ killing directly. OOC and RP reason.

Perhaps the Spectre race(Yet named Echilun)? They seem to fit it, and it'd be pretty fun. Also do they have any requirements with how they speak?

No requirements with how they would speak; though, I'd imagine they would speak in a manner that compliments their manipulative nature or the disguise they are using (i.e Echilun taking the appearance of an Uruk would probably speak Blah)

Aight. And to be clear, they are forced back into their normal appearence if they're found out?

If so, what if they speak to someone who they usually converse with, and tell them their form?

No, they aren't forced back. However, if they are somehow struck (i.e. if someone threw a rock at them or hurled a bucket of water at them) their disguises will falter and, in some cases, fall apart entirely.

I would also be interested in playing one of these. Indirect actions that drive story and RP is exactly more of what this server needs.

Can we please get this bumped to first place on the loremag?

Anyways, it'll be like the Paleknights that /dont/ die off the moment they come out! :)

I think this is a well done and well thought out idea. I would love to see this introduced. Also, maybe they came from something similar to Valinor in LOTR?

I'm sorry to say this lore has been Denied.

You may send a PM to any LM to hear of the reasons.