[Hang Glider Lore] The Flying Machine

Booklight12

The Flying Machine

Sketches and Designs by: Beranabus Seregon

Prologue:

“For Millennia the descendant races have dreamt of soaring through the seven skies, over green rolling hills, mountains, forests, and seas alike. We have always looked to the skies, seeing birds fluttering through the skies so gracefully and simply in a mix of wonder and jealousy wondering what it could be like to fly for even brief moments. This dream, this surreptitious  aspiration in all of us is what drove me to begin this research.

In my first set of research I looked to the many in our realm that practice the mystical arts of magic in both present and past. Many archaic nations and guilds of the past, Rivellians, the Mages College, even the Aengudaemons themselves have artifacts which I had studied to begin with. Beginning with simple floatation, the grandest of these being the ancient city-state of Rivel. Consisting of many of the grandest minds of that time with ancient runes and enchantments were able to construct the grandest, and most lavish of floating cities. Through the study of these artifacts of past and present I found that something they all had that I failed to see, is the dependance on magic. An art many cannot comprehend and even more shun, and claim to be heresy. Woe is me to not have realized it sooner, but I was thinking ways to achieve prolonged flight but hadn’t even thought of the simple basics of my time in the Ministry of Contemplation.. Accessibility for all, not just magically inclined, nor those deemed worthy but /all/ anyone who wished.

And so I began anew, shelving this research and starting from relative scratch by studying many of the winged creatures of our plane of existance, birds, bats, flying whales, cockatrice, drakaar, dragons, and so forth. I studied their makeups, and saw what all these things had in common which were wings. Now, we as simple descendants cannot sprout wings out of the blue so I began with my first draft of creating artificial wings.”

-Excerpt from the grimoire of Beranabus Seregon-

First Draft:

E9gQRAd.jpg

“After a few years I had finalized the design in my head using both my experience in wood carving, as well as my study of animals I created this design after the wings of a bat giving the first incarnation of this idea a sleek, and rather appealing appearance despite it being the first attempt of many.

By studying the way bats wings were, being the easiest to recreate effectively, to be made up two thin layers of skin with their fingers, and thumb set in between the two layers of skin tightly knit together which made their wings light, yet somewhat loose enough to catch air underneath in order to take and maintain flight keeping them in air. As well by studying birds found out that the innermost portion of their wings were actually moving more slowly than the outermost portion which gave birds the capability to have more sustained flight as opposed to powerful flight.

So with the experience I had I had gotten to work. Firstly I began with the wings which I made and shaped using a thin, yet strong linen type fabric. Which was able to catch wind without rupturing, but was not heavy enough to prevent flight. To connect this sleek fabric I used thin carved wooden rods, made from acacia wood that I shaped carefully and pulled akin to the design of a recurve bow using long planks of acacia timber. It was shaped according to the front curve of the structure akin to a bats wings. Afterwards I had added long curved rods of wood that were thinner than the the base piece simulating the fingers and thumb that’d normally be in the two layers of skin. Tied using tight knots to keep it connected to the front  of the construct these pieces were used to keep the entirety of the fabric tight  along to the ends to prevent it from flailing and ultimately crumpling and folding midflight. Then finalized the structure with another long bar and two straps used like a backpack to allow this first draft to be attached to the back of the wearer like a birds wings.

The test was ultimately a failure, upon catching wind I had ultimately failed, as the design was found to be unable to catch wind most likely due to the fabric being too tight and giving no slack that could be used to slow the fall. Akin to when you drop a handkerchief and it parachutes down slowly compared to a rock. In the end this draft was a failure.

Second Draft:

oyWOYFw.jpg

“After several more attempts these past few years it’d seem I have come to a new conclusion using new research granted to me from a student of mine I was able to conclude that the failure of many of the previous designs were due to not just needed slackness, but both a rudder to stabilize the balance of the machine, as well as upwards motion to counteract against the downward motion of falling.

This new draft is designed after the body of an eagle I had been studying. Utilizing a pulley system

The device above shows where a man could actually lie into the machine. His waist would be inside the ring just below the wings,his hands would hold the two sticks coming down from the wings for directional control and a flapping motion would be powered by the man forcing his legs downwards with his feet inside the two spurs. You can see this in the small insert to the left of the main picture.

This design took away with the backpack in place using the ring to stabilize the person utilizing the machine. This design was far more complex however, by using the flap of the wing to I had theorized one could in turn catch up to speed to allow them to stabilize and maintain prolonged flight. By forcing downward on the two wooden spurs attached to a thin rope, as well as contorting the body into an upwards curl one could theoretically catch the last bit of air to make a stable semi horizontal with a slight angle of decline to slowly descend to the ground. However, this design required me to be at a greater height, making the first test needing to be done atop a cliff leading to a lake incase of failure.

In the end this too was a failure however, instead of the first the machine was able to at first catch wind though the flapping motion proved fruitless and the bulkier design made moving upwards to stabalize flight far too difficult as the hardwood used was too heavy and ridged ultimately leading to my descent to the lakebed belly first. Luckily I was able to escape from the loop binding me to the machine and swim out relatively unscatched, excluding bruises acquired on impact, as well as deep gashes from the jagged rocks on the lakebed.”

Completion:

JyqMWBa.jpg

“After an arduous year long time period which I delved into deep study, I was able to finalize a design I believe could be fruitful in my attempt to achieve prolonged flight. This design utilizes both machines’ positives while excluding both of my main drafts’ flaws that ultimately caused their failure.

This newer design now utilizes a curved appearance, using the same fabric material I have used through my studies however, now doubled the layers sewing both fabrics together on their seams to make an interior more likely to catch wind and sustain flight. This time I has used the design of the wings of a hawk which gave me a sleek yet longer base to stretch the fabric along along a wider surface than previously yet kept the lightweight and singular design of the first draft.

The entirety of the sleek draft was made using a plethora of smaller curved rods of a mix of both birch and acacia wood. Using the birch for the long slender rods to stretch along the now curved wings with the acacia as supports to prevent the birch from snapping mid flight, allowing it to keep under the weight. I kept the rudder to stabilize flight, but did away with the heavy ring and rudders of the second draft, ultimately doing away with my dream of having more control movement, in place for a lightweight aspect, and actually being able to maintain flight.

This time for the handle I used a long curved rod of wood, attached to the ends of the rod would be triangular handles used for holding the machine during flight in a comfortable way, whilst having the bar to be held whilst on the ground.

The test was more than I had hoped to accomplish in this design, keeping up in air I was able to after getting a running start and jumping off one side of a hill, glide across (albeit at a slow pace) the air to the other side of a neighboring hill. I couldn’t have asked this to work better, as I have achieved the first step of our people's dream of flight. The only issue I see with this is due to the removal of the rudders it is no longer as controlled as I hoped. Only allowing the machine to glide across in a straight path, gusts of wind proving the bane to this lighter device as it easily topples the glider mid flight causing it to fall.

Publication to the Community

Though still in its’ more infant stages these excerpts and designs by Beranabus Seregon are published to the general populace of Vailor to allow further study and publication of future improvements to the general design to hopefully one day achieve sustained flight for all of descendant-kind. I ask any who wish to learn, or take on these studies for themselves to read through these carefully and make alterations and improvements as they wish. Thus is the reason for open publication such as this in hopes to achieve technological improvements for the betterment of all of the descendants.

-------

OOC:

Jistuma told me to write lore about hang gliders in the upcoming minecraft update that will be added to the server, so I did as my Lore Master overlord told me to do like a good little boy.. The lore is rather general, and what I hope to be as an introduction to hang gliders on the server. That is it thank you all!

Yes because 1.9. 

I kinda like it but Idk if this is gonna be accepted. If it is I'm gonna be one of the first people to line up for this

Hey, I just did as I was told. They were on the 1.9 dev server anyways. But if this lore is accepted, we won't need to worry about it. Cause they will be a thing for when 1.9 comes to lotc!

Elyctra are a blast but please don't add them to LOTC.

For the sake of fun and no other reason... We need this. Seriously though, we need more fun things instead of  just combative magics and other things for the sole purpose of winning

I don't give two shits about the lore for the elytra I just want to have fun with them. Though honestly I'd rather they not be considered RP it severely fucks with my immersion. -flying ologs-

26 minutes ago, Fishy said:

I don't give two shits about the lore for the elytra I just want to have fun with them. Though honestly I'd rather they not be considered RP it severely fucks with my immersion. -flying ologs-

Flying Ologs are already a thing, haven't you been to a warclaim before?

I approve of this... Leather, wood, wool, Elytra!

4 hours ago, Master Khen'aum said:

For the sake of fun and no other reason... We need this. Seriously though, we need more fun things instead of  just combative magics and other things for the sole purpose of winning

This. +1

Wtf no. Didn't even read but ******* wings that make you fly. That should say enough. What's next, Lotc in space?

It'll just end us up with 2 million dislikes on youtube. pls **** off.

This is a fantasy server with very different factors affecting reality which means certain things can be achieved at a different rate than our own. Also, what fantasy universe doesn't have some sort of flying vehicle? I mean really people ITS FANTASY