The Arcanist's Blade - A Flavor Addition to Arcanism and Transfiguration

magic_sword_by_vinifernandes-d8ontcf.png

The Arcanist’s Blade

A Weapon Without a Smith

Throughout the relatively short history of Arcanism and its two predecessors, one feat has always been deemed impossible - The evocation of a sharp-edged weapon.

An arcanist’s wisps are fragile, gaseous things that take great skill to shape into anything. While the magic has proven superior to evocations in the precision it holds in shaping its efforts, a sturdy, sharp blade is something that has forever taken too much of the casting mage’s focus to ever be able to hold that shape for more than a couple of seconds.

Alone, an Arcanist simply cannot do anything but waste his mana to create such a weapon. An enchantment, however, requires no focus on its part. Together with a transfigurationist, an enchantment can be made to maintain this fleeting weapon.

The Arcanist’s Blade is the result of this effort - a sharp, arcane weapon comprised of three parts.

The Mana Gem - Due to the advanced nature of the blade, the enchantment requires a fair amount of mana. As such, a large gem is embedded in the hilt to provide it.

The Hilt - The weapon’s base, and the item that is enchanted with the blade. The hilt’s materials can vary, but magegold is the preferred metal in most cases.

The Blade - Only attainable in a quiet room, by a well-rested and well-trained arcanist, the blade itself must be summoned and bound to the hilt as an enchantment.

Once the three parts of the weapon are together, the blade is complete. Functionally it is similar to a weapon of metal, and depending on the skill of those involved can be weak and blunted, or as sharp as the finest steel.

Due to the precise nature of the enchant, the sword will always remain activated. As such, a blade of this make requires regular recharging like a blade of metal requires sharpening.

Due to the heavy materials of the hilt, the tool itself is similar in weight to a regular sword. While not useless to a mage, a sword will always be best left in the hands of a swordsman.

The Arcanist’s Blade is not a revolutionary addition to the art, but it is an option for those who seek to produce weapons through alternate means.

OOC

For all intents and purposes, the Arcanist’s Blade is more or less flavor lore. Being an enchantment, as far as mechanics (both IG and RP) go, it functions almost exactly like any other sword. Without the enchanted item IRP, an arcanist can’t use a magical blade. With In-Game mechanics, the requisite enchantment is easily represented by a regular sword.

With this addition to Arcanism, one red line will be added to the magic:

• Sharp-edged weapons summoned by an arcanist can only last a few seconds, and have no use except to be bound to a hilt. Only when previously bound to a hilt (and represented by an MC sword or other weapon) can one be used.

With this addition to Arcanism, one red line will be removed from the magic:

• No sharp weapons.

Been waiting for a reasonable person to come out with this; glad its the directer of the magic application department to have the sanity to post something like this! My only issue I feel may arise if that people will say arcanism can simply do too much. 

9 minutes ago, _mkkk_ said:

Been waiting for a reasonable person to come out with this; glad its the directer of the magic application department to have the sanity to post something like this! My only issue I feel may arise if that people will say arcanism can simply do too much. 

Well this really isn't "Arcanism" persay. It's enchanting and only adds aesthetics. 

One thing that should be addressed is that these blades either have or do not have the knockback effect of an evoked blade.

24 minutes ago, BrandNewKitten said:

Well this really isn't "Arcanism" persay. It's enchanting and only adds aesthetics. 

One thing that should be addressed is that these blades either have or do not have the knockback effect of an evoked blade.

So... Its a transfigurationist enchanted hilt.. that allows an arcanist to weave their spell onto the blade? 

Flavor lore, yeah, but this should already be possible. Is this just being put up with the added deal that arcanism /can/ make edged weapons?

so...

lightsabres?

also what you've described is basically a weapon that would function as the perfect rapier: great tip control but 0 slashing power.

if the arcanist blade was heavy "because of the hilt" then it would have very little mass in the blade, making it a quite shitty cutting weapon.

in order to create a fairly well-balanced weapon the magic would have to be of a weight comparable to the hilt, but overall this weapon would probably end up way lighter than a normal sword, for all that entails

Not really, @Destroyer_Bravo. So long as there is weight behind the swing, and depending on how the shape of the blade is, it should still have decent cutting power. On its own, a normal sword's weight is mainly on the guard, rainchappe, and forte, so it should be fine.

Before you say "Hey dude the forte does all the cutting yo" It doesn't. A sword only cuts because force and sharpness. In reality the Arcane bit has some weight to it, but you, the wielder, can't feel  because magic. **** magic, am I right?

Also, rapiers are narrow ******* swords of course they're **** at cutting, how the **** are you supposed to cut someone with a weapon designed for stabby stabby? 

19 minutes ago, ArcanicFable said:

Not really, @Destroyer_Bravo. So long as there is weight behind the swing, and depending on how the shape of the blade is, it should still have decent cutting power. On its own, a normal sword's weight is mainly on the guard, rainchappe, and forte, so it should be fine.

Before you say "Hey dude the forte does all the cutting yo" It doesn't. A sword only cuts because force and sharpness. In reality the Arcane bit has some weight to it, but you, the wielder, can't feel  because magic. **** magic, am I right?

Also, rapiers are narrow ******* swords of course they're **** at cutting, how the **** are you supposed to cut someone with a weapon designed for stabby stabby? 

If the magic has mass then there is no problem.

Another thing I might ask to reconsider is allowing the blade to be deactivated and reactivated. Make it so it takes a bit of time to do either but having to carry around an activated arcane blade all the time sounds like a hassal. So long as people can't click-auto-off and click-auto-on then it should be fine.

13 minutes ago, BrandNewKitten said:

Another thing I might ask to reconsider is allowing the blade to be deactivated and reactivated. Make it so it takes a bit of time to do either but having to carry around an activated arcane blade all the time sounds like a hassal. So long as people can't click-auto-off and click-auto-on then it should be fine.

I agree. I don't believe there's an actual IC reason why the enchantment couldn't be activated and deactivated. As long as it isn't any faster than it could take for someone to sheathe and unsheathe a regular sword. I believe that's fair enough.

But.. Why can an Arcanist do this? What is to stop a transfigurationist with arcane knowledge not be able to fashion up an arcana enchanted blade?

7 hours ago, DrakeHaze. said:

But.. Why can an Arcanist do this? What is to stop a transfigurationist with arcane knowledge not be able to fashion up an arcana enchanted blade?

^^ With this logic, couldn't you use almost any other evocation to make a blade and then have a transfigurationist enchant it? Though no other evocation could make an effective blade, a fire evocationist or something should be able to get his/her own edgy fire blade.

On another note, I love the idea! +1 for days.

23 hours ago, DrakeHaze. said:

To enchant something you need the magic to enchant with. Like if you wanted to set an illusionary wars down you either need to know illusion magic or get the help of a illusion Mage.

The reason this would apply to Arcanism is because Arcanism actively deals with the evocation of weaponry. I am pretty sure you could do this with other evos but a fire weapon would still just be fire and thus not hold its shape/be too hot to hold. Earth weapons seem applicable and maybe ice weaponry but that's already a thing with snelves and frost witches I believe. 

This lore has been Accepted.

Just don't make this into a lightsaber meme. Please.

Thank you for your submission!