Strigae - Children of the Unseen

Esterlen

Good read, I hope somethings from this make it to the light of day...Or I mean, I said that wrong.
+1

Can I play Mannfred Von Carstein now? Memes aside this looks really ******* awesome, great job guys.

An excellent piece of writing, if this is denied I'll truly lose heart in the Lore Team. +1

I really loved this read. Honestly, I always wanted there to be a more proper vampire on LotC. Red imp parasites have always seemed lack-luster in my opinion. That aside, is this being considered as a playable creature or ET only?

33 minutes ago, Gladuos said:

That aside, is this being considered as a playable creature or ET only?

For the greater strigae - player creatures comparable to frost witches, however similarly under a high level of regulation and extensive rules, with the understanding that 'overindulging' results in degeneration into a beast. Some of the degenerated strigae would be good for event creatures, however.

A fine piece of lore that I hope to see accepted. +1.

hey esterlen can you gift me witcher 3 bud

also good lore and good read make more of this stuff +1

I'm truly amazed by this fine piece of lore! I mean damn ! Good job +1

A truly wonderful addition! 

I want one.

Hm, much to read. 

This is a close resemblance to the Fjarriauga, a mix of Frost witch and Witcher 3 vampires?
I'm going to point some things out below.

Greater strigae are unkillable under most circumstances. While their bodies can be totally incapacitated in much the same manner as would a normal humanoid (Rapid dismemberment, beheading) and destroyed through destruction of the brain, ‘death’ in this fashion only serves to destroy the corporeal body and banish the spirit from this plane. With enough time and the aid of another striga’s blood, a greater striga may regenerate a new body, identical to the last.

Could we there be some light on this? Will they remember the situation or have memory loss as to why they got struck down?

Firstly, a greater striga appears paler than average, though not necessarily unnaturally so or to a degree that appears unhealthy or abnormal such as albinism. Secondly, the canine teeth are slightly pointed and elongated into tiny fangs, however this is usually hidden by a closed mouth. Thirdly, the iris of a striga’s eye is always a yellow-green colour - however, again, this is not necessarily unnatural among many mortals. Finally, a striga who has not fed on blood for a considerable amount of time feels cold to the to the touch.

This is a frost witch but a male counterpart and without the bad traits that comes to having sharp teeth for example or the other weaknesses.

Strigae are compelled to feed on blood, hungering for it like a powerful addiction. Though this ‘alcoholism’ can occasionally be overcome by the most controlled of strigae, it is always latent.

Strigae who have not fed on blood for an extended period of the time are cold to the touch and usually significant weaker in combat than those who have.

Greater strigae who overindulge on blood risk devolution into one of the many forms of lesser striga.

These are not weaknesses, these are merely what "could" happen but this isn't going to be moderated so I wouldn't count them as a weakness. They can be "ignored".

Many animals with developed senses of smell, hounds especially, are able to detect the scent of a striga and are averse to one’s presence.

I might have missed it, but is this the only counter for a Striga in non bestial form? If so then it's once more way too strong.

Strigae are completely unable to learn and utilize magical skills as a result of their affliction. Prior magical skills that were learnt prior to transformation become unusable.

This is basically the only drawback I can see in this but they're still going to be tremendously strong.

• There's nothing unique with these in terms of bad traits that comes to it and much too close to something that already exists. Unoriginal on many points, a mash-up of everything.
  • It's not going to be a curse that's spread to people interested like witches do, I feel this will end up as a cult.
  • Vampires is something that has been suggested many times before.

8 minutes ago, grumpy old bastard said:

Can it be something else other than holy magic? That ****'s so overdone

Sadly, there's not much else that can be used as a downfall when it comes to 'evil' creatures. (Evil in the sense that they're technically corrupted, they strive on chaos etc..)

I do agree that that maybe some more direct weaknesses (things that aren't avoidable by the character) should be applied, but otherwise this is incredibly written and I hope to see it accepted.

I agree on the similarity to frost witches and the lack of weaknesses. I hate to say it, but perhaps you should make them burn in the sun. For something so powerful, having them around both in the day and at night is tough for normal RPers. I do understand the difficulty with having them around at night, though, especially since night goes by so ridiculously fast.

As for the similarity to Frost witches: Why not tone down the shape shifting abilities? Perhaps you can have it so that changing shape is a long process, and it can only be done once a week or something. Or perhaps that the Strigae can only transform into living people, so that there is some sort of doppelgänger, and the strigae have to avoid the true version of themselves. Then add some stuff that makes them 'spot-able' but that is different from frost witches. I'll use the age old 'can't be seen in the mirror' as an example, simply because I can't find any other easy example right now.