[✗] Druidic Artifacts: Weather Stones

Sky

Honestly, while these lore seems cool and all I agree with most people on this thread. We already have so much to our magic, more than just about any other subtype along with artifacts, creatures and whatnot. Let's just keep Druidism the way it is.

I have to agree with everyone here that says that druidism is already a pretty darn overloaded magic as it is.

On top of that, this addition would make absolutely no sense for the druids to have thematically. Druids have always been all about plants and animals. Controlling the elements? No way man, that's shaman territory and way beyond what the magic should be able to do, artifact or not.

You have so many things to do with it that adding more is just gonna end up like an overmodded skyrim install. It's all cool and fine getting those extra sets of armor and lore friendly custom items, but then Macho Man Randy Savage is a dragon and wtf happened.

5 hours ago, Evocress said:

As I have had access to the library of the druids website and google documents, I must say I cannot recal reading about these weather stones...

Though upon reading this, it seems to be a sorry excuse to try and get "Weather control" back into druidism even though that idea was denied for the druid arc magic. So then we have this lore with artifacts doing the exact same thing.

I will just say this, that the druids should keep out of hand with weather and leave it for another potential magic group to grasp it. As stated above Shamanism depending what subclass you specify in can already do this.

4 hours ago, MonkeyCoffee said:

Honestly, while these lore seems cool and all I agree with most people on this thread. We already have so much to our magic, more than just about any other subtype along with artifacts, creatures and whatnot. Let's just keep Druidism the way it is.

49 minutes ago, Whimsylicious said:

I have to agree with everyone here that says that druidism is already a pretty darn overloaded magic as it is.

On top of that, this addition would make absolutely no sense for the druids to have thematically. Druids have always been all about plants and animals. Controlling the elements? No way man, that's shaman territory and way beyond what the magic should be able to do, artifact or not.

You have so many things to do with it that adding more is just gonna end up like an overmodded skyrim install. It's all cool and fine getting those extra sets of armor and lore friendly custom items, but then Macho Man Randy Savage is a dragon and wtf happened.

Again I agree, however there IS an artifact in circulation that does hold the ability to grant the druid in possession the ability to control the weather and even have the little passive aesthetics, all explained in the items description (not an item that I made to add to this lore, an item that has been around far longer than I've been a druid). On top of this, druid's HAVE been able to control weather in the past, only stopping around Asulon from what I've been told, and it seems odd that it simply stopped, the lore could explain why druid's stopped being able to as they were never able to and it was always the stone in question.

Just now, Devin | | ;-; said:

Okay, now this is genuinely getting irritating and needs to stop. Please, I encourage criticism of all kinds, feedback and questions, but to simply put a '-1' is frustrating, and helps nothing. So, will you be the first person who commented such a thing to actually respond with a genuine post that is relating to the thread, or will no edits, or response, come?

+1 because it adds great lore to the druids!

Just now, Devin | | ;-; said:

+1 because it adds great lore to the druids!

You're putting me through a rollercoaster right now, and I'm not sure if I want to get out, or enjoy the ride.

29 minutes ago, Sky said:

Again I agree, however there IS an artifact in circulation that does hold the ability to grant the druid in possession the ability to control the weather and even have the little passive aesthetics

After consulting with the lorewriter of this praticular item, it was meant to be used one time for an event after which the item became a paperweight. This did happen. However, due to a certain person who had a knack for lore twisting and OOC manipulation for self gain, the item remained in circulation.

So in short, not a good argument.

7 minutes ago, Whimsylicious said:

After consulting with the lorewriter of this praticular item, it was meant to be used one time for an event after which the item became a paperweight. This did happen. However, due to a certain person who had a knack for lore twisting and OOC manipulation for self gain, the item remained in circulation.

So in short, not a good argument.

Could you have the lorewriter of the item come forth and say so themselves? Not because I don't believe, I'd rather it come from the horses mouth as it were. In the long run, we've been given what we have been and the item still exists, whatever was meant to happen to it either happened, or didn't, however it's where it is now and unfortunately due to many factors (what you are calling lore twisting, and ooc manipulation) the item continues to push through. I'm not using it as an argument to give weather controlling, I think you are seeing me too much of a power hungry person rather than someone who is trying to make sense of lots of comings and goings, I'm clinging to what I can from the lack of information given but it's the best I have right now, so please allow me to clarify once more.

Druids in the past have had the ability to control weather, this is known and has been acknowledged, even on an IC basis. Nowadays, druids are unable to control weather, but there is an artifact? The logical explanation here would be that the artifact was the thing that granted the ability, not a natural blessing to the druids.

Now, that all being said, if the lore gets denied, well I wont be irritated and I will try my best to have the writings amended to a suitable level, but there IS an item that's circulated. Be it an item that the original lorewriter is now claiming was supposed to become useless (again, please have them come forth and clarify), or not, we're not in the business of stripping away (or voiding) mass amounts of role-play that has occurred over the maps, and as of late.

Druids should have control over all things natural. I don't give a rat's anus about this whole 'creature/plant' association, it's moronic. The natural includes mountains, rain, the orbits of celestial bodies, whatever.

Shamans should have control over all things spiritual. Since there are spirits to represent everything, shamans should have power over all things through spirits as their proxies.

Magic is not meant to be restrictive, if it is, then it is just a profession - utterly meaningless, devoid of roleplay. It is suppose to be a creative endeavor. Sure, we should prevent people from powergaming, but provided there is reason to some shaman being able to repair a machine (by invoking a technology spirit) or a druid calling a storm (because it is natural and thus under the domain of the aspects), I see no issue with any of these things.

That said, I'd prefer it being written into the magic itself, rather than as adjuncts. These stones will probably just be sequestered away, never to be used, in all honesty. 

10 hours ago, Sky said:
10 hours ago, Humanistic said:

A man of few words I take it, but perhaps you could be more vocal onto why you remove support you don't give? I mean, if you don't want to repeat what others have said then I don't blame you, but simply posting a '-1' does nothing but give a sour taste and gives others the feeling that you are against it for other reasons. I don't believe you do, you're a genuine person and I wouldn't take that away from you, however others may. So please, could you elaborate?

Also, I am intending to make amendments, just wanted to respond to the two above. All being written in a google document that will be edited within the next day.

Thank you.

Seeing as druidism has obviously been something that has been around since Aegis and has already built up a great deal of ways that druidism can be used to provide good RP when it is provided. If anything were to be updated, it should be more focused on newer magics and magics that haven't been recognized as much. It seems that these stones don't have lore but have been used, that seems kind of odd if they are an ancient thing but have nothing to back it up. Also that it has powers like shamanism gives too much power to Druids than they already have. As I have stated before,

I have to agree with Aesopian on this one. Nature includes far more than plants and animals. I do not see the point in being so restrictive, if something is written well and makes sense, it should never be denied on the basis that 'It treads too much into another magics territory' or 'This magic has too many tools or too much depth already'.

I am guessing part of the reason this lore was written and restricted to two stones was because the authors knew that if they were to write lore on weather control, it would immediately be struck down with more fervor than is going on in this thread. Even if it were well written, made sense, and was obviously well thought out. So now we are left with this, which is in my opinion a cool little addition and adds some flavour, but is ultimately not reach up to it's full potential.

In Warcraft, you have druids that have all sorts of powers. Shapeshifting, nature magic, healing, solar/lunar magic, and weather control. While LotC is not something like Warcraft, I am using it as an example. These aspects to Druidism could be implemented, and I think they should, if there are folk out there really looking to flesh it out and put in the effort. I am not suggesting Druids start calling up massive hurricanes, or shooting bolts of lunar/solar power from their hands, but it's silly that they cant even tread into this territory for the reasons stated.

Just my two cents. I support this lore, as it adds more flavour without being obscenely powerful or even too useful. I do think that its a shame that this concept could not go beyond what it is.

I made an update to (hopefully) address the concerns put forth, and to put my intentions clearly on the first post. Any and all feedback, criticism, etc. is greatly appreciated. Thank you.