[Shelved]Magical Limbs

Jistuma

This is lore for how a character which knows magic can regain a limb after the old one was lost. Giving mages a few more rp possibilities, some don't even need this lore accepted to be done. This lore does not stop others from submitting a more detailed version of a magical limb created by a mage, simply a lore to state that magical limbs CAN be done, and stating a few ways they can. If someone wishes to expand or add onto a type of magical limb, please do so. The point of the lore is to give possibility of the roleplay, it is not to stop others from writing more indepth lore or lore of other ways to create the magical limbs.

Druids wood limbs:

Druids are able to attach a living plant to their body, and shape it into the form of a limb. This limb is then able to be moved with their magic, control of nature. Being made of wood, it has a few drawbacks. It burns more easily and does not have as much strength as a normal limb. The druid also has no feeling in the limb. To learn more about it, read druid magic lore.

Necromancy skeleton limbs:

Attaching a dead limb of another person into the stump of your own missing limb, might sound very bad. For normal people, the new limb wouldn't move, and it would most likely infect the stump. For necromancers on the other hand, a few things can be changed. Since Necromancers control lifeforce, they can make a dead limb move, and since it is alike what once was there, they may do it almost subconciously. If flesh bits were still in the dead limb, the chances of infection would be very high. This isn't to say that necromancers couldn't use more lifeforce to stay alive through the infection, but it would be very painful, and the limb's flesh would rot through time and in an year's time no flesh would remain. This is why most necromancers would use clean bones on a healed stump for replacing the missing limb. Having a skeleton arm has it's advantages and disavantages. They can't feel pain, or fell anything, and being made of bone means it's not very durable. It's strength isn't very high, and since it's just bone, it wouldn't be heavy enough to do damage when punching.

Frost Witches ice limbs:

Frost Witches have great control over ice, and a great immunity against the cold. A frost witch creating an ice limb to replace her own would soon feel very natural to her, almost as if it would be a new one. Frost Witches can only cast their magic when not being disguised, which truly isn't so bad, as having an ice leg or arm while in disguise would not fool anyone, they would be found out in seconds. The limb would have a few problems of course, it would be subjected to fire and heat, and melt off, it could be shatered by a warhammer or strong hit, and of course the witch would have no feeling through the limb.

Telekinetics thin metal limbs:

After repeating the same task over and over again, the effort needed to be put into the task starts declining. If a light limb is built for a telekinetic, he could learn to use his magic almost without being conscient of it. Almost alike to household magic. For it to work as such, the limb would need to be very light, possibly just thin rods connected to articulations. The rods could be a light metal, a cut bone, light wood or bambo, or any other light material. The strength of the limb wouldn't be very good, and there would be no feeling in it. Having it be thin and light would also mean that it would easily break with attacks. Being a contraption would also mean it requires maintenance.

Paladins golden light limbs:

While blessed by Xan, the paladins are able to create solid form from their golden light. Paladins would as such be able to replace their missing limbs with a glowing light. The limb would be like their summoning of golden weapons, and as such, the limb and a weapon can not be summoned at the same time. Moving the limbs is also an arduous task, and like most magical limbs, the paladin can not feel through it. - https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/139493-mists-of-xan-addition-limbs-of-light/

Golemancer stone limbs:

Golem limbs are actually not forced to stick with the golemancer, but require one to create it. A golem arm is created to scale with the body of the recipient. It takes time, measuring, then breaking the stone to fit the size and making all the parts. A black golem core is then needed to be created, no runes on their sides. It's then broken into three parts. One shard is placed on the end of the limb, and set of runes must be made on the exposed side of the shard. Then the shard is stabbed into the person's stump and it will bond with the body. Using golem limbs lowers the life span of the user, the more parts you have, the sooner the person will die. The limbs are stronger than a normal limb, though not by much, yet they are far slower and clumsier. When they are damaged, a golemancer needs to repair it.

(thanks to Dizzy for helping with this one)

Not written yet because I don't know enough about how the magics work:

• Transfigurationists automated gem infused limb.
  • Runesmithing rune limbs.

I am also searching for more ideas about using other magics for creating magical limbs, so if you think of one, please comment!

Are these temporary fixes, or is this just to allow us to take serious injury and not resort to skygod magic to make limbs reappear? 

Just now, zaezae said:

Are these temporary fixes, or is this just to allow us to take serious injury and not resort to skygod magic to make limbs reappear? 

To allow serious injury and not resort to skygod magic to make limbs reappear. It's to create a new way for magic rp, and give more things a mage can do with their magic. Players will still have the monks if they don't want to lose a limb, but now there are far more alternatives, learning magic to create the new limb being one of them, or having the magic and being able to use it constantly. These limbs would be easily moved, almost like a normal limb, just a bit weaker and with side effects to it.

I don't see the point in re-submitting some already accepted lore in a simplified manner and submitting some lore that others could write ( Thusly adding diversity to lotc lore) instead. Let the players write lore for this stuff if they want to!

Heck, if a person who RPs an enchanter wanted to invent this, how boring would it be to find out there is one, set method of doing this set out by a LM? Why not let other players submit their own lore for these things, instead of doing it yourself? You may argue that you now allow them the possibility to use the lore, but in doing so you are showing how easy it is to get this accepted, anyway! If players really want to use this, they'll write the lore themselves! If you submit it, you are taking away some potential 'discovery RP' they could be having, as well as the different, diverse means of creating a 'new limb'!

As you said so yourself, this lore proposal can be summarised by 'limb is weaker and can't feel stuff like a normal limb would'. What if a player would want more diverse lore? Would they be denied because 'it already exists'? Probably,
if this lore is accepted.

But I don't have anything else to say. I acknowledge this gives people (people who would otherwise think this is 'not allowed' or 'breaking the boundaries of magic') the chance to Rp having magical limbs, and that's a great thing. I still hold by my opinion that we should look to the players to submit lore of this sort, especially if they could offer some fresh takes to it that you may not have in mind.

I retract my previous statement about limiting the lore-writing of players if Jistuma specifies that a player can write their own lore for these things that replaces this one.

I was simply irate because, in my eyes, the LT would likely deny any person wanting to write lore for an 'arcane limb' because "Jistuma wrote it", when they could be providing a different, perhaps more unique kind of RP via their lore.

Speaking as a Frost Witch myself, I truly like the thing you've written. It's practical, and I've been in a few situations where this would've been very useful.

Although, I do lack a few things that may have been resolved if you would've contacted us first. How would it function in her disguise? Would anything hint the magical limb if the Witch is disguised? It's not vert elaborated in my opinion, unless that was your intention. I'd be more than happy to help, if you require it!

Just now, Halsey said:

Speaking as a Frost Witch myself

Gasp!

Anyways. I have a question. Can someone form additional limbs to what they have? Can a telekinetic have 8 arms and stuff?

Just now, EdgyMagey said:

Gasp!

Anyways. I have a question. Can someone form additional limbs to what they have? Can a telekinetic have 8 arms and stuff?

A telekinetic can move those extra limbs, but unlike the replacement limb, it would require direct concentration. While the replacement limb would become almost a subconcious magic (mostly like household magic), the other limb movement would be different than what the person would know, and as such, would have to have it's mind focused on it. Same for the other types of magic.

3 minutes ago, Halsey said:

-

I'll send you a pm!

So you can just lose an arm in a battle and have it regrown in another shape a week forth? It gives no concequence at all to mutilation. And if they're going to be so weak and light that you can barely use it for anything but holding a spoon, is it really worth putting the lore  in?

6 minutes ago, Riven~ said:

So you can just lose an arm in a battle and have it regrown in another shape a week forth? It gives no concequence at all to mutilation. And if they're going to be so weak and light that you can barely use it for anything but holding a spoon, is it really worth putting the lore  in?

Yes it is.

3 minutes ago, Riven~ said:

So you can just lose an arm in a battle and have it regrown in another shape a week forth? It gives no concequence at all to mutilation. And if they're going to be so weak and light that you can barely use it for anything but holding a spoon, is it really worth putting in?

Normally mages aren't that strong to begin with. The change wouldn't be too different from original. Think of it this way, if you get hit by a warhammer in the arm, no matter if it's made of ice, bone, metal rods, wood, or skin muscle blood and bone, it would be pretty devastating and you would not be able to use the arm anymore for a while, maybe even lose it.

Also weaker =/= can barely use it for anything but holding a spoon. If you aren't fit, you can still have a normal life. Yes physically fighting will be harder, yet these are mages, they have magic to fight with.

Just now, Jistuma said:

Normally mages aren't that strong to begin with. The change wouldn't be too different from original. Think of it this way, if you get hit by a warhammer in the arm, no matter if it's made of ice, bone, metal rods, wood, or skin muscle blood and bone, it would be pretty devastating and you would not be able to use the arm anymore for a while, maybe even lose it.

Also weaker =/= can barely use it for anything but holding a spoon. If you aren't fit, you can still have a normal life. Yes physically fighting will be harder, yet these are mages, they have magic to fight with.

Mage or not, it still erases the concequences. 

Just now, Riven~ said:

Mage or not, it still erases the concequences. 

Consequence of losing a limb? This is lore to give an alternative to using the monks to regrow the limb.

Kinda destroys the point of how monks heal limbs. A wooden or metal limb is cooler than having your hand healed back. As a monk myself, I feel like this will decrease our activity because no one will want a normal arm or leg anymore, they will want some metal or wood arm/leg.