[✗] A Means to An End; Deific Moderation Proposal

Tsuyose

I honestly don't see a point. If someone is inactive, they are obviously not using the magic, as they're not on the server. From my understanding with working with the Druid Order during my own hiatus' that the magic is simply frozen at where you left off, maybe a little deterioration of being rusty. This seems more like a punishment for players that need to take a break. It should be up to the Order if they want to put this system on their Order, instead of needing to ask to get out of it. But it just seems counter productive to me and like unneeded work. If the Monks or Paladins are having trouble with inactivity, maybe instead they should be keeping track of who is actually active.
Like I can see situations where this is useful, like being polite enough to tell your order you are going inactive and to announce when you're back. But making it an actual magic rule just seems like you're overdoing it for the handful of people that are abusing their inactivity.

tl;dr: Make this an optional thing that orders can opt into rather than forcing it upon every magic order until they appeal that it's not needed. If Orders can't control their activity, let them use them.

Also, what about the.... like Yae'cthulu cleric where there's literally like one and he is banned. When he comes back does he need permission from himself to continue the magic?

Did you guys not read the little bit of the lore that said "Talk to a teacher and he can restore your magic to the power it was before"? As a response to what Freya commented to my post, having to speak to a teacher to get your powers back would involve getting to know how the guild/group is and not just immediatly start something yourself.

Just now, Readicti said:

Yae'cthulu cleric where there's literally like one and he is banned. When he comes back does he need permission from himself to continue the magic?

He's not a cleric anymore. And he's unbanned.

If you can talk to a teacher to get your magic back, what is the actual point of this whole pile of bureaucracy involving lists and moderation when in reality it just adds an extra hurdle to whatever issue is going on. 

Well, for example, if it was a cleric marked for disconnection that went innactive (has happened twice at least), or a rogue paladin that does nothing for the group and only for himself, or a former leader that wants to start a new group without even checking out how the current guild is.

Just now, Jistuma said:

Well, for example, if it was a cleric marked for disconnection that went innactive (has happened twice at least), or a rogue paladin that does nothing for the group and only for himself, or a former leader that wants to start a new group without even checking out how the current guild is.

Okay and why can't guild-level rules that are self imposed fix this? Why do they need to be arbitrarily applied to all deistic magics? What about arcane magic guilds? Are they somehow exempt?

Just now, Freya  said:

Okay and why can't guild-level rules that are self imposed fix this? Why do they need to be arbitrarily applied to all deistic magics? What about arcane magic guilds? Are they somehow exempt?

Unless a rule like this is applied and stated that guilds can decide "yes" or "no" then the guild can not do this. And arcane magics aren't really guild locked nor have 'rules' which they have to follow. All deity magics have rules (as in how a character has to act/do) they have to follow and are pretty much locked to groups.

2 minutes ago, Jistuma said:

Unless a rule like this is applied and stated that guilds can decide "yes" or "no" then the guild can not do this. And arcane magics aren't really guild locked nor have 'rules' which they have to follow. All deity magics have rules (as in how a character has to act/do) they have to follow and are pretty much locked to groups.

You're right but the issue being addressed is that you can't strip powers from someone when they vanish from / go inactive your guild, only to return with RP and OOC power. That could happen in an arcane magic guild just as easily as in the Clerics or whatever.

If guild/nation leaders can implement consensual permakill clauses they can most definitely implement magical mothballing clauses. I don't really get what the difference is, especially when/if it's a case of "You can literally only be a Paladin if you're in Bob's Paladins".

7 hours ago, Tsuyose said:

Should a guild decide they disagree with my system and would like to be removed from the proposal then they are free to contact me and I will promptly remove them. 

If the guilds themselves can decide if they want to be apart or excluded from it, I really don't see much of a problem. 

As in, the guilds establish what would occur from being away, if they even consider adding it.

Just now, Freya  said:

You're right but this the issue being addressed is that you can't strip powers from someone when they vanish from / go inactive your guild, only to return with RP and OOC power. That could happen in an arcane magic guild just as easily as in the Clerics or whatever.

If guild leaders can implement consensual permakill clauses they can most definitely implement magical mothballing clauses.

The guild leaders are one of the problems I would say, and they normally don't do those clauses to themselves. You also can't predict that 'This guild will have this problem and that one won't'. I say all or none to tell the truth. And I would say to the Arcane magics as well, that more to just know who is active and who isn't. (the list is huge and filled with players that aren't active.)

If Respiren, the first Druid returned from his long stretch of inactivity to play on the server after this was implemented and came back to realize he was T1, he would probably leave and never come back. This system is taking hiatus punishment to an extreme it shouldn't be taken, perhaps simply locking them at the tier of magic they're at, making it unable to progress until activity is proven would be better.

Would, for example, different circles be treated as individual guilds/orders/whatever?

I agree with Charlie's point. If I, for example, have to go on a forced hiatus without having the chance to warn my fellow guild members or step down from my position, I don't feel I should be punished for something beyond my control by revoking my ability to harness the powers of nature I have at the time of departure. Furthermore, I shouldn't have to go to whoever has become a teacher in my absence to unlock magics that my character has had for two full years going on three now. The same counts for Ouity or Arik, or Respiren himself as examples.

Druids have always kept a sharp eye on who has been attuned, who is active, and who is inactive. Anyone that takes five minutes to skim over our guild post on the forums can see we have every druid listed from Respiren to the most recent attunement with very little margin of error. Additionally, under no circumstances do druids limit their numbers to a set amount of people capable of learning or using the magic. The only limits are IC precedents and requirements for a character's mindset in order to be considered for joining the ranks of our Order. Right now we number at fifty-two druids active over the course of the month, all of which have been recorded with date of attunement and approximate tier levels in accordance to time attuned, activity level, and use of magic.

I really don't see a reason to keep druids on this list. At most, I see it hindering the RP of potentially returning veterans of druidism by forcing them to seek out a teacher - teachers which, by the way, they would have no way of knowing who are or their capabilities icly as they've been away on whatever spiritual journey they choose for the reason of their hiatus - just so they can rp a magic they have taken literal years irl to master.

If Respiren came back tomorrow and had to come to my character to help reawaken his druidic gifts, in his shoes I would take it as an extreme insult to my capabilities as a roleplayer. And as someone that a veteran had to go to in order to unlock his gifts, I too would be insulted, as this would insinuate that one of the druids that taught the druids that taught my teachers didn't know what the hell he was doing.

Even as a leader of the guild, I see no reason to put that kind of power into the hands of the leaders of the Order. We regulate our own numbers as it is. We don't need the MAT to get their hands into our magic regulation any more than absolutely necessary, which for the Druidic Order this really isn't.

Longest-lasting guild on the server since Aegis, baby. ;) We got this.

Edit: Also worth noting is what qualifies as 'MAT business' and what qualifies as 'Druid business'. In matters of potential powergaming, contact the MAT. In matters of abuse of gifts, that would be something to be handled icly by the Order on a case-by-case basis.

Speaking for myself, I've gone on hiatus several times without warning, just as a paladin alone. Usually it wasn't that big of an issue, at least up until mid Vailor. Without my knowing ((as I had been "purged" from the guild chat during this particular hiatus.)), the guild had changed dramatically. I kept on RPing my magic as usual, only to find out that A) It was assumed that my character had abandoned his duties to Xan, and B) that I was supposed to ask for reinstatement. My lack of information led to quite a rude shock over the next couple of weeks as I relearned what the guild was about. It was nowhere near the group I had initially joined, with quite a few more guidelines that felt like chains. It took me about a month to get my bearings again, with plenty of heated arguments as I found out each and every change.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that guilds can change very sharply during a hiatus. The Brotherhood of the Golden Lion changed from a loose order to a solidified guild during that hiatus. Continuing to RP your magic without at least touching base is a sure way to have a Drama bomb or two go off.

+1 please implement.

I do not really understand why someone would need permission to play their character again. Why is this part of your plan?

23 minutes ago, zaezae said:

I do not really understand why someone would need permission to play their character again. Why is this part of your plan?

Did you even read it? You don't require permission to play your character, merely seek out IC means of unlocking your magic after returning from severe inactivity.

I will also be removing the Aspects from this list.