[✗] Equal Rites: Intercession Magic

VIROS

ARS NOTORIA: MIRACLES OF TRANSCENDENCE

T1

Lesser Miracle of

St. Amyas

By supplicating the wisdom of St. Amyas in herblore, the invoker receives insight into the herbs necessary to treat a single affliction of his choice.

Lesser Miracle of

St. Adrian

While holding a Lorraine Cross aloft, the invoker reflects on the rhetorical prowess of St. Adrian. He becomes more eloquent in speech, and his voice carries farther. The saint may intercede further, encouraging the invoker to speak of a certain matter or address a specific person, without specifying why.

First Miracle of

Exd. Siegmund

While meditating on the wisdom of the Scroll of Auspice, the invoker may request the clairvoyant abilities of Exalted Siegmund, thereby receiving a brief vision of a place or person of his choice. [As Kha moon-gazing; cannot meta.]

T2

Miracle of

Blessed Jude of Cyriaum

By beseeching the favor of Blessed Jude of Cyriaum, the invoker shares a bit of lore in return for knowledge relevant to the situation. Blessed Jude only knows what he knew in life, and what he has been told by venerators since his death.

Lesser Miracle of

St. Theodosius

Over the course of a lengthy meditation, the invoker calls on St. Theodosius to communicate a message to another person. It takes the form of a visual sign, such as a dove flying overhead, or a whisper issued into the mind. [Equivalent to sending a bird through PM.]

Lesser Miracle of

St. Godwin of Paradisus

While chanting verses from the Holy Scrolls and holding aloft a cross, the invoker calls on St. Godwin to ward away an incorporeal being, such as a wraith, ghost, or elemental spirit.

T3

Lesser Miracle of

St. Joren

By continuously chanting a prayer to St. Joren, the invoker gains his aid in resisting the same trials that saint faced while imprisoned: icy cold, starvation, and torture.

Greater Miracle of

St. Adrian

By calling on the righteousness of St. Adrian’s theological works, the invoker enhances his authoritative presence, magically compelling his listeners to speak only the truth. Whoever addresses the invoker cannot lie, though they may omit important information, mislead, or remain silent.

Second Miracle of

Exd. Siegmund

While chanting the Vision of Strife, the invoker calls forth an image of their place in the world-to-come: the evil fight a hopeless battle against the servants of virtue, while the good are rewarded with eternal life. Suddenly, they become aware of their most serious unconfessed sin. Particularly grave sins are accompanied by the audible voice of Exalted Siegmund: “Repent!”

T4

Greater Miracle of

St. Amyas

As part of an evening vespers, or during the administration of a last rites, the invoker requests the same miracle that protected St. Amyas’ corpse: a single cadaver is preserved from natural rot until the next new moon. Occasionally, St. Amyas marks his favor by preserving the cadaver forever, accompanied by the smell of roses.

Greater Miracle of

St. Theodosius

By singing a hymn to St. Theodius while in the presence of ink and parchment, the invoker produces a copy of the Scroll of Virtue, as that saint did when converting the Raevir people. All copies created are written in the native tongue of the Raevir, even referring to the Creator as “Godani”

Greater Miracle of

St. Godwin of Paradisus

As part of a lengthy prayer, the invoker calls upon St. Godwin to consult with the ghost of a dead descendent. The saint travels to whatever place the spirit inhabits, informing it of the invoker’s questions and returning with an answer; though the saint will not lie, the dead may. If the individual’s spirit is neither on this plane nor in the Seven Skies, St. Godwin cannot find it. [Consult a GM]

T5

Greater Miracle of

St. Joren

By reflecting on the strength of St. Joren while he was held captive by Harren the False, the invoker becomes immune to physical harm so long as he remains immobile and silent, kneeling in prayer.

Miracle of

Blessed High Pontiff Daniel I

While meditating on the sagacity of Daniel the Reader, who commanded the translation of the Holy Scrolls, the invoker is enlightened with the ability to read and write in Common, Flexio, Elvish, Orcish, and Dwarvish.

Third Miracle of

Exd. Siegmund

By beseeching the near-infinite wisdom of Exalted Siegmund, the invoker receives guidance in a matter of import. He hears a single word, such as “loss”, “reward”, or “truth”, which indicates the outcome of a future decision. [Consult a GM]

ARS MAGNA: MIRACLES OF GRACE

T1

Miracle of

Blessed High Pontiff Adeodatus

By blessing a cask of wine in the name of Blessed Adeodatus the Simple, the invoker endows the drink with holy merriment and joy. Those who taste it are overcome with fraternity, and raucously celebrate the virtue of the Blessed. Adeodatus sometimes manifests as a vision, joyously egging on the participants and sharing tales of merriment.

Miracle of

Blessed Thomas Denims

As part of a sacrament of consecration performed on an abbey, church, home, or other building, the invoker calls on the protection of Blessed Thomas Denims. The structure stands stalwartly against weather and fire, and wards off minor supernatural beings of evil intent. This miracle fades after a saint's year.

First Miracle of

Exd. Godfrey

By invoking the guidance of Exalted Godfrey in the course of a coronation or investiture, the invoker invests the receiver with holy insight and authority. Occasionally, during evening prayers, the receiver will receive a 1-3 word piece of advice from the Exalted, such as “Seek virtue always” or “Pursue justice”. [Consult a GM]

T2

Lesser Miracle of

St. Daniel

While holding aloft a wooden staff, the invoker supplicates St. Daniel’s protection and guidance in travel. All who walk with the invoker do not lose their way, and are protected from inclement weather.

Lesser Miracle of

St. Godwein of Hunsthill

By singing a hymn to St. Godwein in the course of a mass, the invoker compels all in his parish to speak truthfully and act virtuously. Each feels as if the patron saint of honesty watches over them; lies burn on the tongue, impious jokes fall flat, and drunkards are carried home rather than encouraged. This miracle’s effects continue so long as the mass proceeds unhindered.

Lesser Miracle of

St. Julia

In the course of a sacrament of matrimony, the invoker supplicates St. Julia to provide the newlyweds with strength and love for one another. So long as they remain faithful, each always knows when the other is in danger. [Equivalent to sending a bird through PM.]

T3

Lesser Miracle of

St. Everard

As part of an evening vespers or last rites, the invoker may call upon St. Everard to protect a corpse against desecration, as the saint’s was. Until the next new moon, a single cadaver cannot be risen as undead, and is immune to all attempts to dismember or curse it.

Lesser Miracle of

St. Tobias of Sarkoz

While requesting the generosity of St. Tobias, the invoker blesses a feast, meal, or cauldron in his name. Those who partake of it find that the meal does not diminish until all participants have had their fill. To the virtuous, this food tastes like the fine meal of a king; to the sinful, it crumbles like ash.

Second Miracle of

Exd. Godfrey

As part of a sacrament of consecration, the invoker sanctifies a touched scepter or crozier in the name of Godfrey, patron of dominion, justice, and glory. A sinful man who touches the item feels it burn like fire, while an unlawful pretender finds it slips from their grasp.

T4

Greater Miracle of

St. Daniel

By striking a wooden staff into the earth, the invoker calls on the strength of St. Daniel to discover a wellspring. Until the staff is withdrawn, pure water pools beneath it in a slow trickle.

Greater Miracle of

St. Godwein of Huntshill

By touching a cross to an afflicted person and speaking the name of Godwein, the invoker arrests the spread of any plague or affliction of the skin. Corrupted flesh falls away, pox recedes, and leprosy is cured wholesale.

Greater Miracle of

St. Julia

With a prayer to St. Julia, the invoker beseeches the saint’s mercy for a wounded individual. The receiver finds his pains alleviated, and his wounds heal twice, or even thrice as fast. Occasionally the Wife of Horen personally manifests; her tears heal even the most grievous injuries.

T5

Greater Miracle of

St. Everard

As part of a mass, the invoker calls on St. Everard’s aid in protecting his parish from persecution. For as long as the mass continues, and the parishioners remain immobile and silent but for prayer, they cannot be harmed.

Greater Miracle of

St. Tobias of Sarkoz

As part of an evening vespers, the invoker leads the faithful in begging the beneficence of St. Tobias. On the morrow, all are overcome with charitable spirit, desiring to share their food, clothes, and wealth with the less fortunate. The saint occasionally shows his special favor by mystically increasing the business acumen of charitable merchants.

Third Miracle of

Exd. Godfrey

As part of a mass, the invoker blesses a crown or laurel with the dominion of the Exalted Godfrey. Whosoever wears the blessed item finds increased mental fortitude, resistance to supernatural taint, and a strong tendency to avoid sin. Within his area of rightful rulership, the wearer’s voice rings with holy authority.

ARS GLORIOSA: MIRACLES OF STRENGTH

T1

Miracle of

Blessed Vladislav

As part of a sacrament of consecration performed upon a shield or buckler, the invoker supplicates Blessed Vladislav to strengthen it. The shield darkens, and becomes as the Blessed’s black shield; it will never shatter in battle. If the wielder carries it into war, Blessed Vladislav may manifest among the troops as they sally out. This miracle fades if the shield leaves the invoker's possession, although it can be used by a nearby ally.

Lesser Miracle of

St. Thomas of Gaekrin

As part of a mass, the invoker calls upon the leadership of St. Thomas to inspire men-at-arms to greater fraternity and unity of purpose. At the mass’ conclusion, listeners cooperate easily in any task, whether war or craft.

First Miracle of

Exd. Owyn

By speaking holy words of exorcism, the invoker strengthens his weapon against supernatural beings such as the undead and Aengudaemons, and hardens his armor against their retaliation. Objects blessed in such a way glow with bright light until taken off or sheathed. The miracle is undone if the items leave the invoker’s possession.

T2

Lesser Miracle of

St. Lucien

By calling upon the name of St. Lucien while in possession of a long weapon such as a pike or halberd, the invoker transforms the implement into a copper vexillum, bearing a linen flag of the invoker’s choice. The saint may intercede further by topping the vexillum with a golden Kaedrini cross. The miracle is undone if the items leave the invoker’s possession.

Lesser Miracle of

St. Emma

While leading a group of unskilled warriors such as fishwives or peasant levies in prayer, the invoker requests that St. Emma guides their hand. While acting in defense of their home or a house of worship, listeners find that their blows strike like a trained knight's even if they have never fought before.

Lesser Miracle of

St. Edmond

While mounted, the invoker holds aloft a pennant to beseech the guidance of St. Edmond. All horses under the invoker’s command gallop swiftly, and do not break formation at the sight of steel or scent of blood.

T3

Lesser Miracle of

St. Wilfriche

As part of of a sacrament of consecration performed upon a mace or other blunt weapon, the invoker calls on St. Wilfriche to empower the instrument. When striking a possessed person, the weapon harms the indwelling spirit rather than the individual. This miracle fades if the weapon leaves the invoker's vicinity, although it can be wielded by a nearby ally.

Greater Miracle of

St. Thomas of Gaekrin

While raising a sparrow standard during battle, the invoker offers a prayer to St. Thomas of Gaekrin. If they can see the banner, the morale of those under the invoker’s command is mystically reinforced, and they rally together. Additionally, the invoker’s voice booms across the field such that all under his command can hear it.

Second Miracle of

Exd. Owyn

While supplicating the aid of Exalted Owyn, the invoker plunges a metal weapon into a blessed flame. It emerges alight with holy fire that burns the sinful; an innocent feels only slight warmth, while the wicked feel its burn like an inferno. A sinful wielder drops the weapon instantly, as its heat is too much to bear. This miracle is undone if the weapon leaves the invoker's possession.

T4

Greater Miracle of

St. Lucien

While holding aloft a Kaedrini cross, the invoker calls on St. Lucien’s righteousness and purity. The cross is ringed with holy flame which drives away the saint’s enemies; any sapient creature which is not a member of the four descendant races feels the cross’ warmth like baleful fire, for St. Lucien considered these abominations. They cannot approach the wielder. This miracle is undone if the cross leaves the invoker's possession.

Greater Miracle of

St. Emma

By calling on St. Emma to protect the weak, the invoker transforms ordinary household objects into weapons and shields suitable for the untrained. With a clatter, chairs fall apart into piles of wooden clubs, plates become simple bucklers, and small items are reformed into daggers, slings, and so forth. If a distaff is present, it becomes a white sword. Swords created in this manner return to their original form if the invoker leaves the vicinity.

Greater Miracle of

St. Edmond

By calling upon the favor of St. Edmond in steerage, the invoker summons a strong wind that drives a fleet under his command in whatever direction St. Edmond wishes. While this usually lines up with the invoker’s desires, sometimes the saint has bigger plans.

T5

Greater Miracle of

St. Wilfriche

By supplicating the zeal of St. Wilfriche, the invoker casts corruption out of a particular item or the surrounding area within a few steps. Curses and hexes dissolve, and evil beings such as Undead are repelled. The saint particularly abhors servants of Setherien, and manifests personally to drive them away with his black mace. The miracle is undone if the invoker leaves the vicinity of the purified items or the location of the corruption.

Miracle of

Blessed Peter Pavel

As part of a prayer on the eve of battle, the invoker supplicates Peter Pavel to receive advice in strategy and warfare. The beatified offers a brief insight into a matter of his choosing; occasionally, he intercedes further by recalling a particular incident of battle he has witnessed in the past.

Third Miracle of

Exd. Owyn

By holding a source of light aloft while reciting a prayer, the invoker blinds his enemies, as Exalted Owyn did to Harren the Defiler. If the invoker raises a hand in violence, as the Exalted did, the curse is lifted. This miracle is undone if the invoker leaves the vicinity of its targets, or if they flee.

+1 Excellently written and organized. Like usual your never one to disappoint. Well done VIROS, I'm really into this submission. 

Being the largest religion, with a long history and perhaps the most lore out of any  group on the server, a little magic wouldn't be too outrageous +1

I fully endorse this. It is a very well composed and thought out addition to lore and serves as a fervent example and initiative to revitalize the atmosphere of Human roleplay and activity. I wish there was more than just a +1. 

Great work. I expected no less from VIROS. 

You're going to have to elaborate on all the magic abilities, along with adding red lines/restrictions for them which are clear cut.

That aside, I'm all for this. +1

Edit: When I say restrictions, I mean in regards to the magic itself and not the more vague limitations you have listed. 

The quick casting of the spells is a bit iffy, and I'm going to recommend you making the combat oriented ones take more time to cast (assuming I read the examples correctly where it's the prayer/calling to the Saint such as St. Tobias and then the magic instant activates in the next emote). I'm aware you say to use at /least/ two emotes, but generally if it can be quick cast, it'll be quick cast instead of adding additional emotes. So for something combat oriented, I'd suggest setting the minimum to 3 or 4, depending on the one (such as the invulnerability one).

Also, mass teleportation to safety will need to be elaborated on since that seems iffy, such as adding how far you're going or if you're all SS'ing or what.

Exceptionally well written, but a few seem a bit overpowered to me, at least the T5 miracles of Transcendance, as well as a few of the Miracles of Strength.

23 minutes ago, The Pink Lion said:

You're going to have to elaborate on all the magic abilities, along with adding red lines/restrictions for them which are clear cut.

That aside, I'm all for this. +1

Edit: When I say restrictions, I mean in regards to the magic itself and not the more vague limitations you have listed. 

The quick casting of the spells is a bit iffy, and I'm going to recommend you making the combat oriented ones take more time to cast (assuming I read the examples correctly where it's the prayer/calling to the Saint such as St. Tobias and then the magic instant activates in the next emote). I'm aware you say to use at /least/ two emotes, but generally if it can be quick cast, it'll be quick cast instead of adding additional emotes. So for something combat oriented, I'd suggest setting the minimum to 3 or 4, depending on the one (such as the invulnerability one).

Also, mass teleportation to safety will need to be elaborated on since that seems iffy, such as adding how far you're going or if you're all SS'ing or what.

I was going to wait until I had more feedback to respond, but I will say that the mass teleportation thing is leftover from a previous draft. I just removed it.

How does it sound to require at least 1 emote, plus tier level, for each miracle? So a T1 miracle requires two emotes, while a T5 requires six.

I can add redlines to every miracle if necessary. I'd probably do them as comments on a google doc, so they don't form a 45-line long list of bullet points.

3 minutes ago, VIROS said:

I was going to wait until I had more feedback to respond, but I will say that the mass teleportation thing is leftover from a previous draft. I just removed it.

How does it sound to require at least 1 emote, plus tier level, for each miracle? So a T1 miracle requires two emotes, while a T5 requires six.

Most magics generally follow this: T1-3 = 2-3 emotes, T4= 3-4, T5= 4-5+. The 5 emote one can be extended if need but, generally all "final" attacks from a magic take around 5 emotes (e.g. minimum for a call down in electrical evocation). But like I said previously, it depends if it's for combat or not, so it'll differ from spell to spell. Once you've fleshed out the magic so that we can see clearly what each spell does, I'll be able to tell you more on if things are overpowered and need to be lengthened or not, since at this stage it's too soon to tell the limitations and true power of a spell listed.

+1 This is very well organized and layed out. I like the sects and various attributes given to each of the saints. Phonominal !! It can really show a great connection between the faith and humans.

This is super duper cool and I'd love to see it implemented, my one problem however is that it seems to do a lot. Like, a laaarge variety of uses  for one magic and a few of them need some tweaking I think. Maybe put a limit on how often certain miracles can be used? I also think a time limit on how long they'd last would be good as well, as some of these seem to last forever, and others for a short period/instantly. How long something lasts can affect how balanced it is as well.

Some of these feel hard to do in RP ( Such as something like lesser miracle of emma, do they just fight better, or would their attacks never miss?) And others feel like slight meta? Such as the one with the couples. Could use some tweaking, I'd encourage only allowing a user to use 1 of the three subtypes (If that isn't already a thing, sorry I'm very tired.) Also the "can't petition for a miracle" seems strange, is it like a roll system on what miracle they get?

Once again apologies if these issues are addressed in lore, I might've missed em as I'm about to pass out. Either way looks rad. : D

Yes, yes, +1!

I see religion in this. It should be better than the Orenian "Ugh, heathen!" *stabs* ((Pvp?