[✗] Equal Rites: Intercession Magic

VIROS

Ancient Chinese proverb say. . .

Just now, drfate786 said:

Lies aren't meant to be uncovered, even moongazing cant truly expose a lie.

EDIT: Anyway, I think this magic should be restricted to non-combative RP, I wouldn't want another holy order running around preaching peace while also purging anything stereotypically considered evil. Additionally, with regards to Mephistophelian's earlier comment, this magic, while unique , does infringe on several sorceries. 

2 minutes ago, drfate786 said:

If palpatine was forced to say the truth and only the truth to the Jedi for even just 5 minutes do you still think he would of taken over the known galaxy? The answer is pretty simple man.

Alifer Amice next emperor of Oren confirmed??

Just now, Birdnerdy said:

Alifer Amice next emperor of Oren confirmed??

No, we both know the emperor is selected in OOC so the only way I could ever accomplish that is by creating a rebellion not seen since the dukes war. Something which I have no reason to do since I don't care about your petty politics.

Just now, drfate786 said:

No, we both know the emperor is selected in OOC so the only way I could ever accomplish that is by creating a rebellion not seen since the dukes war. Something which I have no reason to do since I don't care about your petty politics.

*wipes forehead

I was worried there for a sec

Just a note I'm p sure there's a dwarven rune that compels whoever holds the item with the rune to tell the truth when asked a question. I don't think they have to answer the question, but they can't lie. So not answering is kind of an omission of guilt. I am less tired now, so a more cohesive thought would be :  I really like the flavorful miracles, such as making a party merry, have a soup pot that will remain full until everyone has been fed, etc, etc. But I feel there's lots of potential for some pg/mg with others, and could certainly use some tweaking. A few offenders (imo)

Ars Nortoria

Spoiler

Lesser Miracle of Adrian: Would the saint speaking of someone be ooc knowledge? Such as you know oocly a person is being sinful, so the saint then encourages your character to speak to that person directly?

First miracle of Siegmund.: This should be LM/GM moderated as it is very, very powerful.

Miracle of Blessed Jude of Cyriaum: I think this should prob only be relevant to Human lore mayhaps? Some lore is hidden/obscured for a reason.

Lesser Miracle of Theodisus: Kind of sketchy on what can be done here.

Lesser Miracle of St.Godwin: As in it kills them? Or makes them go away?

Greater Miracle of Saint Adrian: Issues already addressed on this one, sketchy.

Greater Miracle of St. Godwin: SHould require LM/GM supervision.

Greater Miracle of St.Joren: I'd say he shouldn't be able to talk/listen while being immobile, and anything breaking their concentration would make them vulnerable. Should be fully focused on prayer.

MIracle of High Pointiff: Addressed before, kind of sketch. 

Third miracle of Siegmund: Should be lm/gm moderated

Ars Magna

Spoiler

First Miracle of Godfrey: Kind of strange, could use some elaboration.

Lesser Miracle of St. Godwein: Seems alright as long as it's just during Mass, and ends as soon as Mass ends.

Lesser Miracle of St.Julia: Potential for some strange MG. Could use some tweaking.

Greater Miracle of St.Everard: Same deal as with Greater Miracle of St.Joren.

Greater Miracle of Tobais of Sarkos: Should remove "mystically multiplying the wealth" Fun flavor text but in-rp, naah...

Ars Golriosa

Spoiler

First MIracle of Exd. Owyn: Items blessed like this should be very, very rare, and shouldn't last forever.

Greater Miracle of St.Lucien: So anyone who sees the cross or what?

Greater Miracle of St. Wilfriche: Should be temporary, and a small area.

Miracle of Blessed Peter Pavel: Very sketchy in terms of wartime metagaming.

1 hour ago, Eileen The Crow said:

Just a note I'm p sure there's a dwarven rune that compels whoever holds the item with the rune to tell the truth when asked a question. I don't think they have to answer the question, but they can't lie. So not answering is kind of an omission of guilt. I am less tired now, so a more cohesive thought would be :  I really like the flavorful miracles, such as making a party merry, have a soup pot that will remain full until everyone has been fed, etc, etc. But I feel there's lots of potential for some pg/mg with others, and could certainly use some tweaking. A few offenders (imo)

Ars Nortoria

Hide contents

Lesser Miracle of Adrian: Would the saint speaking of someone be ooc knowledge? Such as you know oocly a person is being sinful, so the saint then encourages your character to speak to that person directly?

First miracle of Siegmund.: This should be LM/GM moderated as it is very, very powerful.

Miracle of Blessed Jude of Cyriaum: I think this should prob only be relevant to Human lore mayhaps? Some lore is hidden/obscured for a reason.

Lesser Miracle of Theodisus: Kind of sketchy on what can be done here.

Lesser Miracle of St.Godwin: As in it kills them? Or makes them go away?

Greater Miracle of Saint Adrian: Issues already addressed on this one, sketchy.

Greater Miracle of St. Godwin: SHould require LM/GM supervision.

Greater Miracle of St.Joren: I'd say he shouldn't be able to talk/listen while being immobile, and anything breaking their concentration would make them vulnerable. Should be fully focused on prayer.

MIracle of High Pointiff: Addressed before, kind of sketch. 

Third miracle of Siegmund: Should be lm/gm moderated

Ars Magna

Hide contents

First Miracle of Godfrey: Kind of strange, could use some elaboration.

Lesser Miracle of St. Godwein: Seems alright as long as it's just during Mass, and ends as soon as Mass ends.

Lesser Miracle of St.Julia: Potential for some strange MG. Could use some tweaking.

Greater Miracle of St.Everard: Same deal as with Greater Miracle of St.Joren.

Greater Miracle of Tobais of Sarkos: Should remove "mystically multiplying the wealth" Fun flavor text but in-rp, naah...

Ars Golriosa

Hide contents

First MIracle of Exd. Owyn: Items blessed like this should be very, very rare, and shouldn't last forever.

Greater Miracle of St.Lucien: So anyone who sees the cross or what?

Greater Miracle of St. Wilfriche: Should be temporary, and a small area.

Miracle of Blessed Peter Pavel: Very sketchy in terms of wartime metagaming.

I've edited all of these miracles, removing flavor text, and adding limitations or specificity where you suggested it. I also updated the Lesser Miracle of St. Emma. Thank you for your critique :)

Towards your earlier comments, I think a restriction on how many subtypes a person can have would be fair, but I'd set it at two rather than one. It's meant to be a standalone archetype, so a person who only has Ars Magna is only going to be able to cast 15 spells even at T5. The "can't petition for a miracle" just means that the invoker should say "I'm going to ask St. Tobias for generosity" rather than "I'm going to ask St. Tobias to multiply this food." 

@The Pink Lion The problem I have with multiple emotes is they have a tendency to clutter the chat and not add anything to the roleplay. Having dealt with Void mages before, the impression I've always gotten is that any emotes beyond 2 or 3 were an annoying formality. Maybe we could decrease the power level another way, such as by setting a hard limit on the number of miracles used per day or per discrete encounter?

@Sug I'm glad you like it :) How were you planning on playing him? Because I'd hate to steal your character, but I think you'd have to be ET to play a supernatural creature like a saint. (Not that I intend for ET to play your character for you) I can replace Jude with someone else if you'd like, though.

@Mephistophelian As far as "everymagic" goes, all magic subtypes overlap to some extent. This subtype sacrifices flexibility for variety (I like to say that it's broad, rather than tall.) The First Miracle of Exd. Siegmund, for example, can only glimpse a place or person at the level of a T1 Moongazer. It cannot do anything else a Moongazer can do, including glimpsing them as a T2-T5 would. Likewise, many miracles such as the Lesser Miracle of St. Emma, have flavor requirements. In that example, the miracle only functions for a group of unskilled warriors. It simply won't work for one unskilled warrior, several skilled warriors, or so forth.

@drfate786 Mental magic is capable of extracting information directly from the target's mind, while this only prevents them from speaking lies. You were right that the miracle's description is not specific enough, so I've adjusted it accordingly, and required the listener to be speaking directly to the invoker.

Regarding the power levels of T5 miracles, please remember that each of these subtypes has only three of each tier of miracle. So while it is powerful that the Third Miracle of Exalted Owyn can blind people, that ability is equally in the grasp of T5 Illusionists, who can also do all kinds of other things. The current miracles only seem powerful because I have described them so specifically, rather than leaving it up to the invoker to decide what he considered a T5 spell vs. a T4 spell.

No problem! Looks good to me. A couple final comments I'd add would be, while it adresses dark arts users and the like being unable to learn the magic, what would happen if a user of the magic began to act or think sinfully and attempt to learn dark arts or something of the sort? Would they be unable to practice miracles? I think a code of conduct for the practitioners would be interesting as well, and then maybe if they break such the saints would be less likely to commune with them? What about interactions with voidal magics and shamanism? I'm assuming one can only have intercession magic and nothing else? Otherwise, looks good to me and good luck getting it accepted. ^.^

1 hour ago, VIROS said:

I'm glad you like it :) How were you planning on playing him? Because I'd hate to steal your character, but I think you'd have to be ET to play a supernatural creature like a saint. (Not that I intend for ET to play your character for you) I can replace Jude with someone else if you'd like, though.

I was just going to play him like I usually played him. Calm and pious. I'm sure If it gets accepted that the ET would let me play him. If not it's no big deal! Please keep him if that is the case either way I'm honored that you picked him for this lore.

I'm considering three additional limitations at this point:

• No character can possess more than two Intercession Magic subtypes.
  • Limiting the number of miracles requested per IG month to the player's highest tier in any Intercession Magic subtype. e.g. An invoker with T3 Ars Magna and T2 Ars Notoria could not request more than three miracles total per RL day.
  • Expounding upon what qualifies as sin, and prohibiting invokers from using Intercession Magic while in a state of unconfessed sin. This is the most difficult to implement because codes of conduct are up to some interpretation. Does it qualify as theft to seize taxes by force? Is it murder to carry out an execution ordered by your king?

Please offer feedback if you're interested :)

9 hours ago, VIROS said:

-snip-

Subtype limitation I think is unnecessary. There's no in-lore reason why someone could be able to contact 2/3s of the saints but not the remaining 1/3. "Balance" concerns are non-concerns considering how weak most of the spells are especially when actually attacking or harming others.

Added two new restrictions:

• "Obtaining a Dark Arts subtype or connecting to another Deity instantly breaks an invoker's connection with the Congregation of Saints."
  • "Users of Intercession Magic may only request a limited number of miracles. No invoker can petition for more than one miracle of T1 or T2 strength per IG month (RL day). Additionally, no invoker can use more than one miracle of T3, T4, or T5, strength per two RL weeks. While the saints are merciful and generous, they emphasize that miracles alone cannot bring souls to the Seven Skies."

On 7/29/2016 at 7:38 PM, AGiantPie said:

Subtype limitation I think is unnecessary. There's no in-lore reason why someone could be able to contact 2/3s of the saints but not the remaining 1/3. "Balance" concerns are non-concerns considering how weak most of the spells are especially when actually attacking or harming others.

Agreed with this. None of the miracles other than perhaps last tier ones provide universal utility, only situational convenience. As such, I don't think regulations would be necessary. Perhaps either lift regulations or strengthen them by increasing the power / influence of miracles invoked?

A provisional +1 for the idea though, well written and sounds really awesome in RP.