[✗] Equal Rites: Intercession Magic

VIROS

Really well written as always, Viros, just wanted to point out that it's saddening that there's been no LM response to this.

On 17/08/2016 at 4:29 AM, TheAmazingPheonix said:

Really well written as always, Viros, just wanted to point out that it's saddening that there's been no LM response to this.

*cough*

4 hours ago, Mephistophelian said:

*cough*

I meant a verdict friendo

Just now, TheAmazingPheonix said:

I meant a verdict friendo

Yeah I can't really give an excuse there. Expect something Soon

Has my support.

I think it's interesting because you're a good writer, but I don't think it's an interesting magic. We already have enough deity magics, which all can do the same thing as this magic here. Not every God-like being needs to lend out their powers either, and just another point, why make another magic when people complain about getting into circle-jerks now? I'd rather see what we have being filled rather then more being made.

8 hours ago, ScubaSteveee said:

I think it's interesting because you're a good writer, but I don't think it's an interesting magic. We already have enough deity magics, which all can do the same thing as this magic here. Not every God-like being needs to lend out their powers either, and just another point, why make another magic when people complain about getting into circle-jerks now? I'd rather see what we have being filled rather then more being made.

The original point of intercession magic, as far as I know, was to provide a more fantastic element for the canonist church to oppose the complaints that it's technically a copy-paste of the Catholic church into LOTC world. None of the magics, neither deity nor arcane, fit canonist scripture and the general attitude towards magic in Oren.

13 hours ago, ScubaSteveee said:

It's an interesting magic since it's the only magic that is borne from original LOTC RP rather than used as a tinderbox to create RP. All other magic types had the Jedi hand-wave of "This is now a thing that exists in canon, now we can begin roleplaying it". I'm not saying this is a bad thing, it is honestly impossible to create many pieces of lore without some mental gymnastics or hand-waving, it's just a unique facet to this lore that makes it interesting.

Also, for the record, the existence of "spheres of power" in the Aengudaemonic Pantheon may exist de jure in the lore but it has never been de facto held to by the staff, since almost every deity magic that exists can be shunted into the archetype of "helps people and hurts spooks". If anything, this is the only deity magic that works upon the mortal moral axis rather than the clash-of-the-titans good vs. evil one that all other deity magics reside upon. 

Your final sentence's wish is technically correct, yes, but all deity magicks have proven time and time again that they simply do not mesh with the Empire or the Canonist Church, and forcing that further is just a powder keg waiting for a spark. They can coexist, yes, but they simply are too jarring in both lore and dogma to ever have a relationship beyond "you're not worse than dark magic / the undead so we'll let you exist if you keep to yourselves".

I too like to repel spooks.

When magic is created, it must contain the property of balance. So, looking at this magic here you can summon armor/weapons, heal at extreme levels, and suffer no mental or physical drawbacks. You could possibly two emote this magic, while you’re also able to contact the dead that screams meta, and summon dudes with black maces able to take on Setherien’s minions. I think at one point I was reading something about compelling people into speaking the truth, why? What Saint wants to force people into things, because at that point what makes them different from anyone else? Everything aside, I’ve always thought it was the most interesting because at end of the day religion is all about faith. You don’t need something in return, you simply have your faith because you believe that ideology to be right, even if the Saints aren’t giving you power. 

Oh, not to forget about the holy fire you're able to summon. If I'm not mistaken even an average paladin can't do that, only a Keeper. They instead can only use Xan's mist to forge weapons, but still, ridiculously overpowered. 

3 hours ago, ScubaSteveee said:

When magic is created, it must contain the property of balance. So, looking at this magic here you can summon armor/weapons, heal at extreme levels, and suffer no mental or physical drawbacks. You could possibly two emote this magic, while you’re also able to contact the dead that screams meta, and summon dudes with black maces able to take on Setherien’s minions. I think at one point I was reading something about compelling people into speaking the truth, why? What Saint wants to force people into things, because at that point what makes them different from anyone else? Everything aside, I’ve always thought it was the most interesting because at end of the day religion is all about faith. You don’t need something in return, you simply have your faith because you believe that ideology to be right, even if the Saints aren’t giving you power. 

Oh, not to forget about the holy fire you're able to summon. If I'm not mistaken even an average paladin can't do that, only a Keeper. They instead can only use Xan's mist to forge weapons, but still, ridiculously overpowered. 

https://gyazo.com/16044f7b8d7943de441b39eb80ddb6d8

3 hours ago, ScubaSteveee said:

I believe the magic is balanced... The celebrant of the mass or priest invoking the intercession of the saints is not necessarily drawing angelic power through himself  like a cleric does, they petition for the saint to hear them and are granted what they request. There is no tether feeding mana into them or anything. The example emotes will be clarified but it is almost impossible to two emote this magic due to the varied parts.. let me explain that: So for example first you would need to mutter a prayer while doing one of the varied ritualistic gestures ect, then after doing that the miracle would begin. Once the miracle begins you need to emote what exactly happens. That there is about 4 and then you close off the ritual with either another prayer or gesture. So in all it can't rly be done in two emotes the example emotes are just a simplified example of how the magic works. When you mention being able to contact the dead.. it's not like we receive infallible information... The person we contact could be lying to the saint who requests information... we don't know necessarily what is going to happen there. When you mentioned the reasoning behind a Saint compelling someone into speaking truth... Lying is a grave sin and is perceived as a sin not only by Canonists but many other religious groups on LOTC. Untruth is in no way a pure action so having a Saint... a blessed member of the kingdom of above petitioning for Truth... it makes sense. And you are right religion is 100% about faith... the magic simply rewards those faithful priests, monks. bishops, nuns ect with certain charisms. This is once again to differentiate a LOTC Catholic church from a unique religious group. The holy fire is not overpowered at all ... If you are referring to the second miracle of Exd. Owyn the burning sensation on those tainted is quite regular.... nothing too special there.

This lore has been denied

This is quite a hard denial as it is evident there's been a great deal of work, its very well written, and the magic itself is very interesting and could definitely work well within LoTC if not for a few key issues.

First of all, the lore needs a bit more explanation as to who the Aengulic patron is, how its not legitimising the human religion, and how the magic works. Additionally, the abilities themselves need a bit of refining in order to make the magic more balanced, as right now it is very powerful.

Furthermore, the magic very very closely resembles other magics in some abilities (namely mind magic, holy magic, shamanism, and druidism), and overlap is a feature which the LT seeks to mitigate. In fact, the core principle of utilising pseudo-deified dead souls in order to grant blessings via a mortal conduit is the exact same of that Lutaumanism.