Dwarven Language

chaotikal

like arms as in weapons

* casually necros the crap out of this thread *

Whether it's welcomed or not, haha, I find that word to word translations tend to be a bit -easier- for the general public to learn and use in a fantasy setting. Not a lot of people want to have to actually learn a new syntax in order to talk IC, you know?

Also, I sent you an editor link to the translator when I made it : P You were always able to edit it.

Either way!! I've brought it up myself, and with a couple other folks I have with me to help, I fully intend to use the translation system on LingoJam to actually make an attempt at finishing this language. I've sent you a friend request in discord, in case you'd like to be a part of it all ^_^ 

I intend to work on the translator until I feel confident that at the least, in everyday conversation, a full sentence can actually be translated into the dwarven language. ❤️ 

17 minutes ago, Sybbyl0127 said:

snip

The Dwarven Language isn't meant for everyday conversation. It is meant for inscriptions, guild names, and event usage. Making it a relex (same syntax as english) destroys what it is. If you wish to make your own splinter of common-ish dwarven, feel free, I made the decision to upkeep the syntax of the original dwarven sources because many words and structures are untranslatable in english, like the usage of Dwarven Prefixes. (Kal' Means city of, but it's similar to the arabic Al- and not close enough to City Of, as that'd denote an adverbial ending, not a name.)

Edit: Also, I was never able to modify it. The link you provided was to the translator, not the edition page, and even then, you'd need my email to add me as an editor, which we never exchanged.

How you say conqueror in dwarven language?

Quite the extensive language to mentally grasp; and significantly larger than Ancient Elven. Kudos.

I just want to say that its cool that you made a whole language, and I look forward to learning it in character. A lot of potential fun to be had. 

On 3/24/2022 at 12:34 AM, Anime300 said:

Quick question: What are the sources for this Dwarven language?

I'll answer this one.

Original sources from Warhammer Fantasy's Dawi culture, along with some original words made up when LotC was first kicking. Chaotikal put this dictionary together based on what was essentially oral history/understanding of the playerbase at the time and codefied it.

This is the updated dictionary that the community is using now. More words, fleshed out examples of grammar and sentence structure. This expanded list is also sourced from Dawi, and takes inspiration from Old Norse/Germanic, as well as some of Tolkein's writings on his Dwarven race's language.